Dinosaur eggs

Well thankfully it is not us buying them! A friend of my wife (and consequently my friend) and her husband bought them (not that it matters, but they are both university educated people). I don't really know all the details, but it sounded like the "friend of a friend of a friend" had found these eggs [4 hours by car outside of Wuhan] and is looking to sell them (which I believe that in itself is an illegal act in China). From talking to my wife last night, it sounds like they will be cleaned and just be kept at their apartment in China. I'm not 100% sure they intend to resale. I'm hoping to get some photos/details soon... It could truthfully just be geodes.

BK,

I looked at a map of the common fossil sites located in the Gobi Desert and this is a long darnED way from 4-hours of Wuhan. I enjoy science subjects, and I know that a lot of fossilized eggs, and nesting sites of dinosaurs were located in the Gobi. However, this comes back to the question of exporting antiquities from China, penalties, or still a scam, etc, etc. And you are correct, I believe the penalties to black-market dealers and to the buyers are both very severe.

This being said, It sounds like they may have found/purchased some geodes. I don't Know enough about China's geology, to even hazard a S.W.A.G. (Scientific Wild-Assed Guess) :lol:

Perhaps, they ought to just clean them up, and as an experiment, take one or all of them to a local Chinese rock shop and have it evaluated? For God's sake; don't even ask me what the name of one is. Have you wife answer this question. However, I know that I have been in several of these stores in Chengdu, China. Many people bring stones back from Jiuzhagou National Park (九寨沟), to be polished, and/or placed on board which resemble miniaturized mountain scenes. The Japnese have a name for suzuzuki or some thing like that. You might take one as a sample, have a band saw cut it in half, and to determine if it is a geode. Here is a site, and geodes can be found in China. http://www.twoguysfo....com/oddity.htm , and they do sell them. Ergo, there are geodes in "them thar Chinese hills!" Please refrain from the Walter Houston dance regard to gold, and such! :rotfl:

After that; they can enjoy their new conversation piece in their home and not get in trouble. However there is one drawback. It it is a fossilized egg, and any good rock hound will see it immediately, be prepared to surrender the piece immediately, and sell the dealer down the river. Hopefully this is where it ends.

Good luck, no matter whatever turns out. I do hope that it is a geode, which they can enjoy for years to come. And BTW....Don;t feel lonely. I have never heard the line from my own wife, of Chinese get-rich quick schemes, which was heard from a friend, to a friend, to another friend, and they cared about us, and we were coming in on the basement floor! Thank God, that after six years of marriage and living in the US, my wife is starting to "smell the coffee," and has a very "jaded" eye now! Life is already complicated enough already! :roller: Yep! I still get the same pitches from Chinese men and women on the West Coast, even today!

Dave

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)