Bring iPhones gifts to China?

I would like to know is there a way to tell if the iphone is unlock without having to insert a different carrier's sim card. Does any one know if there is a setting page or a parameter page in the iphone? Or perhaps in the Ultrasnow, Redsnow, Purplesnow ( sorry I don't know all thoses programs real names) or Cydia program that "announces" that the Iphone is now unlocked

As far as I know, inserting another SIM card is the only litmus test.

What you can try is:

1. open cydia (if cydia is not on the phone then it is probably not jailbroken by normal software methods).

2. select manage

3. select packages

4. see if one of the unlock packages are there.

The presence of an unlock package would suggest it is unlocked.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David_D thanks for reply. When my sister comes back from her trip I will take a look at her phone. Presently she is just using her Iphone as a PDA and using her Samsung as her cell phone. I have been still searching the net for info. I have found some additional info when I search when I use the phrase "Unlocking Subsidy Iphones" and "unlock code for an Iphone". They talk about the IMEI but that is about it. Thanks again.

Danb

Interesting note about iphone (in america) happened last night.

I would never buy an iphone, because I refuse to pay 30$ a month for data plan on AT&T.

You see at home, I have wireless internet, in the car I have a gps, at work I have wireless internet.

However about 2 months ago I saw the nciku chinese-english app for the iphone, and I wanted it, so I ask around the office for any old rejected phones, and got a 3g with a broken screen for free.

100$ later it was fixed with a new battery.

I jail broke it and unlocked it so that I could use it in China sometimes.

I turned off 3g data, and data roaming so it never uses AT&T's data network.

Dropped in my sim from my existing (cheap) cellphone and viola ! effectively an i-touch with a phone built in.

All that would be great except AT&T listened in to my phone, realized it was an iphone, and added the data plan for me. :(

So, yesterday I received my bill with the 25$ 2gig data plan added to my phone, so I call them up:

me: Hi, I got my bill and see that I am being charged for a data plan, I never asked for a data plan.

at&t: You changed to an iphone, you need a data plan for the device to function properly.

me: No, I bought the phone on my own, not from you. It is none of your business what device I use, and my phone works great with no data, I turned the data off.

at&t: We have to add the data plan if you use an iphone.

me: It is YOU who spyed on my phone to learn it was an iphone, I didn't tell you, and it is none of your business what device I use, I pay you for a phone plan.

at&t: Your device wont work properly without a data plan.

me: I turned the data off, and my phone works great without data, I don't cruise the web while driving.

at&t: There is a 200 meg a month plan for 15$.

me: I don't want a data plan, I want it removed from my plan and my bill.

at&t: Your device wont work properly with no data plan.

me: You have told me that 3 times, and I have told you I don't need or want the data plan.

at&t: Let me check to see if we can remove this from your plan.

me: Thank you.

at&t: long silence

at&t: Okay, we have removed the data plan from your phone, and removed the charge from your bill. Is there anything else we can help you with?

me: No, thank you I am very happy.

So .. if you have an iphone, but never use the roaming data feature .. turn it off and save yourself 15-30$ a month.

For me, I don't need to access email, web, or any other data based features unless I am in a wifi location. Given all the free wifi locations around me, I have never felt the need to use 3g.

If an absolute emergency comes up, I'll pay the per kb rates.

Just another iphone tidbit to go with this thread.

I have looked high and low for a non-SIM way to verify if an iPhone is unlocked or not... everyone says the same thing; just try another SIM. Often that means asking someone on another carrier. I read someone said that if someone in your family also has a ATT SIM, try that since they claimed that only an unlocked iPhone would allow a different ATT SIM to work! I find that hard to believe but there are stranger things in life.

There is a software put out by Sn0wbreeze called F0recast which can say whether your phone can be jailbroken/unlocked or not... I guess if you related the firmware version and baseband we can probably tell you what should be used to unlock it.

Here is the Sn0wbreeze website where F0recast can be found: http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/welcome.snow

----

Credzba... crazy story. I am not sure who is turning more to the darkside; Apple or ATT... with the rest of US companies close behind...

I read someone said that if someone in your family also has a ATT SIM, try that since they claimed that only an unlocked iPhone would allow a different ATT SIM to work! I find that hard to believe but there are stranger things in life.

I can say this is certainly NOT true.

My son got a new iphone4, decided he didn't like it and traded it for a 3gs and 200$.

Everyone involved just swapped at&t sims and their phones work correctly.

Any AT&T sim will work in any gsm cellphone (that is either at&t locked, or no locked).

Also, my at&t sim came out of a lg shine, and worked in the iphone even before I jailbroke/unlocked it.