gathering documents in fiance's hometown

A lot of the understanding on exactly what is needed is dependent on how well your fiancee understands english....i'm not trying to toot their horn, but this is one area that our "sister" site, 001 excels....my fiancee really didn't understand exactly what i was asking for until she started going to the 001 website and read about all the documentation needed for a k-1 visa....after she read about it, she knew what to get and how to explain to the police station and gong zhen chu exactly what she was after and got it no problem.

You could be write about this but it's not her English that is the problem, just her carefree attitude toward matters like this in general. Plus she doesn't really use the internet for "research." She would rather ask around until she is happy with the result.

Anyway, the solution seems to be working - it just is taking a few days to collect. Better than sending in gobs of money just be told to "wait patiently for a few months..." :lol:

i know exactly what you are referring to in regard to the "Carefree attitude in general"....when getting these documents, Rong had to wait a few days to get the "No trouble paper" from the police station and then after delivering it to the gong zhen chu, it took a few more days to get all the documents, translations and certifications...and keep in mind, these will not all be in one booklet....Each document will be in its own booklet....one for no trouble, one for being single or no marry, one for birth certificate...this booklet consists of the four pages inside with a shiny, slightly heavier weight white paper cover (front and back) and will have the gong zhen chu embossing on the cover of all booklets.

i wasnt born in the hospital too cuz that time China has family plan..^^

mom had a girl, but they all still want to have a son. then second baby is me. they hide me in a family....hahaha..to have the third baby finally it is a son..^^

Edited by justinjessica (see edit history)

mom had a girl, but they all still want to have a son. then second baby is me. they hide me in a family....hahaha..to have the third baby finally it is a son..^^

that's very sad! my girl's situation is probably the same but no one will admit it. she didn't even know she wasn't born in a hospital until 2 days ago when her father casually mentioned it on the way to find a birth certificate... i asked why i hadn't heard that one before and she said "well i assumed too i was at least born in some kind of clinic" heh.

after getting the police station to type up the birth certificate today, we took it to another department at the same station but they would not stamp it without the mother being there. her mother and father divorced when she was a baby and her mother would never help her. but the police told us the hukou should be just fine for the Notary Office to produce a birth certificate, so we called them back and she said "yeah, we can do it...". it just seems they want you to put every effort forward you can and then they'll show you "another way i guess we could do it"

now we gotta wait (probably) all weekend to get those translations back but we're here having a good time in the lackadaisical paradise of Sichuan.

that's very sad! my girl's situation is probably the same but no one will admit it. she didn't even know she wasn't born in a hospital until 2 days ago when her father casually mentioned it on the way to find a birth certificate... i asked why i hadn't heard that one before and she said "well i assumed too i was at least born in some kind of clinic" heh.

after getting the police station to type up the birth certificate today, we took it to another department at the same station but they would not stamp it without the mother being there. her mother and father divorced when she was a baby and her mother would never help her. but the police told us the hukou should be just fine for the Notary Office to produce a birth certificate, so we called them back and she said "yeah, we can do it...". it just seems they want you to put every effort forward you can and then they'll show you "another way i guess we could do it"

now we gotta wait (probably) all weekend to get those translations back but we're here having a good time in the lackadaisical paradise of Sichuan.

Crazy hoops, but as I posted earlier, the notary office should be able to generate a certificate and translation based on the hukou.

While at it get 2 extra copies of this cert + Translations for later after entry to the USA, the cert is needed for marriage, and adjustment of status, as well is handy for other things state-side.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

...To get the booklet we just took her Hukou and ID card (身份证) to the notary public. If they say they can't help you, talk to another clerk. When Chinese run into a roadblock, they often just go to another window and the problem gets solved one way or another.

Are you talking about the birth certificate in this part? They said the could just do a translation of the Hukou (which she doesn't even have at the moment - had a to print a temporary one at the police station because she left it at home.) But they suggested it would be better to go get this note saying "____ was born on _____. Her father is _____. Her mother is _______." from anyone who can make it. So that's what we're trying to do today.

Your story sounds a lot like mine: my girl has the wrong birthday on everything official, apparently. (about a month off depending on the year) :happybday:

Also, the note from the police station and "community center" was also hand-written, which I suggested we type-up and take back for a new stamp, which we did - only to find out that the Notary Office types these up and uses their own stamp anyway, rendering the originals unnecessary. (I'm hoping this is how it's supposed to be done...?)

The note also did mention that she had never done drugs nor practiced "bad religion". So I guess that's what must be important in these small cities populated by 1+ million. Heh.

Sorry for not being clear. Yes, I was talking about the "notarization of birth". Ours said exactly what you mentioned there: "____ was born in _____ on _____. Her father is _____. Her mother is ____." WeiLing's notarization of birth listed the small city, even though she was born at her grandmother's house out in the country-side. She's also the middle of three, but all are properly in the Hukou, and I still don't know how they got around that one-child policy.

Anyway, if you've got (or are getting) that book, you should be just fine.

Edited by Rob and WeiLing (see edit history)

Sorry for not being clear. Yes, I was talking about the "notarization of birth". Ours said exactly what you mentioned there: "____ was born in _____ on _____. Her father is _____. Her mother is ____." WeiLing's notarization of birth listed the small city, even though she was born at her grandmother's house out in the country-side. She's also the middle of three, but all are properly in the Hukou, and I still don't know how they got around that one-child policy.

Sounds good!

And to dnoblett, thanks for the advice. Both Notary Offices kept saying "you need to two copies for america" and I wasn't sure why. But I like extra copies anyway. Didn't plan on a total of 3 but if that's what you say, that's what I'm getting. :)

Off-topic question: Will the EMS delivery of P4 require a signature? And will they call her if she's not home and tell her they attempted delivery? She swears they will... The reason I ask is we are not at our home in Shanghai for at least another week and these next couple weeks are the (my) expected delivery time.

{edit} Quote tags.

Sounds good!

And to dnoblett, thanks for the advice. Both Notary Offices kept saying "you need to two copies for america" and I wasn't sure why. But I like extra copies anyway. Didn't plan on a total of 3 but if that's what you say, that's what I'm getting. :D

Off-topic question: Will the EMS delivery of P4 require a signature? And will they call her if she's not home and tell her they attempted delivery? She swears they will... The reason I ask is we are not at our home in Shanghai for at least another week and these next couple weeks are the (my) expected delivery time.

They ALWAYS call for delivery. They were AMAZED that I would send a letter to the US without an address OR a phone number (IRS, Austin, TX 70001)

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I figured they would call (and thanks for letting me know). Doesn't look like I'm gonna make the interview. I have to leave China on August 6th to go to law school. It is now July 8th and no P4 yet. Hopefully this isn't a problem during the interview.

Edited by weregoingunion (see edit history)

weregoingunion how long it will takes for you to marry and register in china ? the point is registeration.marry can be later.

cuz my bf might visit me soon this year . can we use his next trip to china to marry and register in china ,he come with tourist visa and we marry here ? is it allowed ?..his visit could be 1 week or less than 2 weeks,.is it enough for the registeration and get the marriage certificte in so short time..cuz he cant get more than 2 weeks holiday i suppose cuz he just moved to a new job place navy will not have long holiday .i guess it is same like china.a new job will not have soo long holiday.? (i dont have birth certificate too cuz im not born in the hospital )

so can we marry and register in china in such short time..within 1 week or 2 week ? then i can wait for the result and get the marriage certificate..he can just go back first..is it workable ?

Edited by justinjessica (see edit history)

weregoingunion how long it will takes for you to marry and register in china ? the point is registeration.marry can be later.

cuz my bf might visit me soon this year . can we use his next trip to china to marry and register in china ,he come with tourist visa and we marry here ? is it allowed ?..his visit could be 1 week or less than 2 weeks,.is it enough for the registeration and get the marriage certificte in so short time..cuz he cant get more than 2 weeks holiday i suppose cuz he just moved to a new job place navy will not have long holiday .i guess it is same like china.a new job will not have soo long holiday.? (i dont have birth certificate too cuz im not born in the hospital )

so can we marry and register in china in such short time..within 1 week or 2 week ? then i can wait for the result and get the marriage certificate..he can just go back first..is it workable ?

YES

justinjessica: as far as i know YES you can do that. but this is NOT what we're doing. we are applying for the K1 fiance visa and will marry in China much later when everything in the U.S. is finished

apparently if you are already married in China, it is NOT any easier to get a visa to the U.S. and you may actually need to wait longer.

so think carefully about why you are getting married in China on such a short visit!

justinjessica: as far as i know YES you can do that. but this is NOT what we're doing. we are applying for the K1 fiance visa and will marry in China much later when everything in the U.S. is finished

apparently if you are already married in China, it is NOT any easier to get a visa to the U.S. and you may actually need to wait longer.

so think carefully about why you are getting married in China on such a short visit!

Note: A Spousal CR-1 visa has been taking on average a month or so longer than a K-1 to process so the wait is not that much longer. At one time the processing times was much different so congress passed a law called the LIFE act allowing persons in process for a spousal CR-1/IR-1 visa an option to apply for a similar visa called the K-3, since then the processing for a Spouse visa has been reduced grealy to the point DOS closes the K-3 petition if they receive the underlying spousal petition at the same time.

Secondly, please note K-1 is for marriage in the USA, not China, later you may be doing a ceremony in China to symbolize your marriage.