P3 arrived, final checklist before sending it off

P3 arrived this weekend while my girl was out of town (very quickly after NOA2!) and after browsing this sub-forum for a few hours I would like to ask a few last questions before asking her to go drop it in the box.

I am staring at the most current instructions for P3 but want to run through this really quickly -

I have four things to send back immediately:

- OF-169

- DS-230 (Part 1)

- one copy of passport bio page

- EMS mailing label

My questions:

1) Does she send back the entire OF-169 with the all of the pages of "check-boxes"? And does she "check" the boxes we expect she will need at the interview and leave the others blank? Or is this just for our information and they only want a filled-out "Applicant's Statement" section?

2) Does she send only pages 1&2 of the DS-230 and keep pages 3&4 for the interview? Or fill-in 3&4 (without signing) and send it along with Part-1?

3) A quick one-page A4 scan of the "bio page" of her passport including Name, Info, Signature, etc., is what they're wanting, correct? I am guessing this is simply to check if she has a passport that is valid for the next ___ amount of time.

4) If she fills out the included forms in English, can the Chinese pages be thrown out? (Set aside...)

5) Should the biographical information in the DS-230 be filled out in pinyin expect where specified? For example, her parent's names and current addresses...

6) She said the packet says something about the I-130 which I don't see in the example I have. This is to be taken to the interview, correct? (This is a K-1 visa.)

7) She is not really working at the moment. She does help her friend part-time with her new business (clothing store) but didn't want to bother her friend with hiring her full-time when she knows she will not be there long-term. Would it be worse to write "unemployed" or come off as sugar-coating it by writing "part-time sales assistant?

I am pretty sure I know the answers to these questions but some clarification will help calm our nerves and maybe others' who stumble upon this post. Thanks for any help!

Sean

Actually only DS-230 part 1 and OF-169 need to be returned to consulate

1) Yes entire OF-169

2) Yes only page 1 & 2 of DS-230 Page 3 & 4 are for interview in cases of CR-1 and IR-1 visas, not for K-Visas

3) OF-169 only indicates OF-169 and DS-230 need to be sent to consulate, not BIO-Page.

Complete and send the enclosed form DS-230 Part I, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration as well as this document (Form 169) together with a copy of the bio page of your current passport. Obtain the following documents on this checklist that pertain to you. As you obtain each document, check the box before each item. Do NOT send the actual documents to the Consular office except for the Mailing Address Label, as we will have to destroy them. You will not be scheduled for an appointment until you submit these forms.
http://photos.state.gov/libraries/guangzho...0-Apr_%2010.pdf

4) I have heard mixed results about this, best to have both handy, in my case I asked VO at ACH about that and the VO said just English is fine.

5) Yes Pin Yin

6) I-130 is for CR-1 and IR-1 Spouse visas not K-1, K-1 uses I-129F

7) Unemployed is fine.

dnoblett: thanks for the info but you've confused me a little bit.

3) OF-169 only indicates OF-169 and DS-230 need to be sent to consulate, not BIO-Page.

What about the EMS label and copy of passport bio? In the link you gave to the P3 instructions it says this:

...return the [EMS] label, together with the forms DS-230 part I £¬OF-169 as well as a copy of the bio page of your current passport, to the Consulate. This address label will be used to send you the appointment packet.

Note: The consular office will not schedule you for an appointment until you submit this form and form DS-230 Part I together with a copy of the bio page of your current passport. Do not send any other documents to this office except for the Mailing Address Label.

(I don't understand why they're concerned about the cost of postage when they charge you $1000's by the time the process is complete and they send various other documents without purchasing a stamp for them, but I'll play by the rules.)

2) Yes only page 1 & 2 of DS-230 Page 3 & 4 are for interview in cases of CR-1 and IR-1 visas, not for K-Visas

Why were these pages included in the packet labeled "K INSTRUCTION PACKET"?

Sorry, I meant the I-134 rather than the I-130.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/fo...and_packets.htm

In that link above it mentions the I-134 under the K Visa Instruction Packet (¡°Packet 3¡±) section. This is NOT sent back immediately but rather taken to the interview, right??

Also concerning the OF-169, should she only check the boxes pertaining to our case leaving the rest empty (ex. leave "Military Records" unchecked since she has never been in the military.)

Again, thanks dnoblett for your help but could you clarify a little?

dnoblett: thanks for the info but you've confused me a little bit.

What about the EMS label and copy of passport bio? In the link you gave to the P3 instructions it says this:

...return the [EMS] label, together with the forms DS-230 part I £¬OF-169 as well as a copy of the bio page of your current passport, to the Consulate. This address label will be used to send you the appointment packet.

Note: The consular office will not schedule you for an appointment until you submit this form and form DS-230 Part I together with a copy of the bio page of your current passport. Do not send any other documents to this office except for the Mailing Address Label.

(I don't understand why they're concerned about the cost of postage when they charge you $1000's by the time the process is complete and they send various other documents without purchasing a stamp for them, but I'll play by the rules.)

Why were these pages included in the packet labeled "K INSTRUCTION PACKET"?

Sorry, I meant the I-134 rather than the I-130.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/fo...and_packets.htm

In that link above it mentions the I-134 under the K Visa Instruction Packet (¡°Packet 3¡±) section. This is NOT sent back immediately but rather taken to the interview, right??

Also concerning the OF-169, should she only check the boxes pertaining to our case leaving the rest empty (ex. leave "Military Records" unchecked since she has never been in the military.)

Again, thanks dnoblett for your help but could you clarify a little?

As for Bio page you can always photo-copy and include it, cannot hurt.

Yes use EMS label.

I-134 is brought to interview, this is provided by US Citizen.

Yes don't check things like military, my wife was in military, however in China the records and not available so left it unchecked.

DS-230 is a standard 4 page form so they send the whole form, however K-Visas only use part 1, there will be a form in P4 that replaces part 2

dnoblett: You are a lifesaver! I am helping her complete the forms over the phone right now. She will send it out today and I'll update my timeline soon.

She is out purchasing a pen as we speak - yes, a pen. So it's nice to have assurance that someone knows what they're doing, dnoblett. :lol:

Also, they apparently did only send pages 1&2 of the DS-230 so you were right.

Chances are looking better and better that I'll be in China for her interview but maybe I shouldn't count my eggs till they hatch.

I will be on a mission to get everything else ready over the next week.