CR-1 Interview advice

This is what we did:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry536147

The numbers 1-11 signify folders. My wife bought several clear document holders and made notes using post-its. She put the post-its on the edges of the folders, in a way that when you stacked all 11 folders, you could still see all 11 descriptions (think of how a Bible would have those little tabs for the different books, and you'll get a general idea of what we did) We did look over Dan's link posted above, and then modified it to suit our own needs. David's link is a good starting point though with a lot of good information.

Keep in mind that Jingjing and I had to face some different issues that some do not have to face when filing stateside, so our own folder system tried to organize items to address those situations. Not all items listed in my post will apply to you.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

My wife and I did CR/1 from the states, and had no special issues, so pretty bland.

My wife didn't want anything to do with the visa process, and really wanted the absolute minimum.

We collected the items ask for on the sheet they mailed to her, police report, pictures etc.... and I put them all together for her in a bag .. may have been a plastic trash bag I don't remember.

She went in, talked to the visa officer (in English) showed her the pictures and gave her the papers.

She got her and our daughters visa approval paper, and we left.

We actually were in Guangzhou less than 12 hours.

So, you can go in highly organized, or just provide what they ask for. Many people have said it is a dice roll, but I really think the visa officer decision is 90+% determined before you go in, and organized or not really is not much of a factor.

The advice I have read here, and would concur with is to make you wife as at easy as possible. For my wife, she walked in with the idea she didn't really want to go to America, and if the VO gave her grief she would just stay in China. She was nervous, but as confident as anyone could be.

If the VO had been rude to her (as happenned to Tsap), she would probably have yelled at the VO, thrown all the papers at the VO, and walked out.. My wife is wonderful to me, but I would never want to be the person to make her angry. :unsure:

Anyway, just do your best so that if something goes wrong, you are at peace with yourself, but what you do or don't do at this point really has little impact. (Other than DO meet their requirements of course)

Thats my .5 fen of advice.

We collected the items ask for on the sheet they mailed to her, police report, pictures etc.... and I put them all together for her in a bag .. may have been a plastic trash bag I don't remember.

:lol:

If the VO had been rude to her (as happenned to Tsap), she would probably have yelled at the VO, thrown all the papers at the VO, and walked out.. My wife is wonderful to me, but I would never want to be the person to make her angry

My wife too and to tell the truth I hope they do not piss her off. :o

So will my wife need the NOA-2?

This is what we did:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry536147

The numbers 1-11 signify folders. My wife bought several clear document holders and made notes using post-its. She put the post-its on the edges of the folders, in a way that when you stacked all 11 folders, you could still see all 11 descriptions (think of how a Bible would have those little tabs for the different books, and you'll get a general idea of what we did) We did look over Dan's link posted above, and then modified it to suit our own needs. David's link is a good starting point though with a lot of good information.

Keep in mind that Jingjing and I had to face some different issues that some do not have to face when filing stateside, so our own folder system tried to organize items to address those situations. Not all items listed in my post will apply to you.

Thanks Kyle I did not think about her canceled passport.

My wife and I did CR/1 from the states, and had no special issues, so pretty bland.

My wife didn't want anything to do with the visa process, and really wanted the absolute minimum.

She went in, talked to the visa officer (in English) showed her the pictures and gave her the papers.

So, you can go in highly organized, or just provide what they ask for. Many people have said it is a dice roll, but I really think the visa officer decision is 90+% determined before you go in, and organized or not really is not much of a factor.

The advice I have read here, and would concur with is to make you wife as at easy as possible. For my wife, she walked in with the idea she didn't really want to go to America, and if the VO gave her grief she would just stay in China. She was nervous, but as confident as anyone could be.

If the VO had been rude to her (as happenned to Tsap), she would probably have yelled at the VO, thrown all the papers at the VO, and walked out.. My wife is wonderful to me, but I would never want to be the person to make her angry. :lol:

Anyway, just do your best so that if something goes wrong, you are at peace with yourself, but what you do or don't do at this point really has little impact. (Other than DO meet their requirements of course)

I really hope that someday they will require both the beneficiary and petitioner to appear for the interview , just like AOS case . Seeing is believing . In seeing the couple together , it is much simpler to address any concern or issue than just seeing the beneficiary alone. I believe there are many cases that should have been approved got denied or delayed unnecessarily and cases that should have been denied got approved . I really don't understand how they can determine the bonafide status of a relationship without seeing both persons at the same time ???

If the VO had been rude to her (as happenned to Tsap), she would probably have yelled at the VO, thrown all the papers at the VO, and walked out.. My wife is wonderful to me, but I would never want to be the person to make her angry. :)

I really hope that someday they will require both the beneficiary and petitioner to appear for the interview , just like AOS case . Seeing is believing . In seeing the couple together , it is much simpler to address any concern or issue than just seeing the beneficiary alone. I believe there are many cases that should have been approved got denied or delayed unnecessarily and cases that should have been denied got approved . I really don't understand how they can determine the bonafide status of a relationship without seeing both persons at the same time ???

In theory, I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately, because of the large number of applicants that GUZ is responsible for processing, I doubt it'll ever happen. Sad but true.

If the VO had been rude to her (as happenned to Tsap), she would probably have yelled at the VO, thrown all the papers at the VO, and walked out.. My wife is wonderful to me, but I would never want to be the person to make her angry. :)

In theory, I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately, because of the large number of applicants that GUZ is responsible for processing, I doubt it'll ever happen. Sad but true.

Exactly Kyle! I always point out to others, GUZ is a single Immigrations consulate in a country that has nearly 1/4 the world's population so it is understandable that that one consulate is BUSY and at most can only give a 5-10 min interview per applicant and cannot handle joint interviews.

Most other consulates around the world handle far less cases so can and do joint interviews.

No, she will not need her NOA-2. My wife never received her NOA-2 during her immigration process. It never came up at the time of her interview, nor, have I read here, or at VJ of it every being requested.

Exactly Kyle! I always point out to others, GUZ is a single Immigrations consulate in a country that has nearly 1/4 the world's population so it is understandable that that one consulate is BUSY and at most can only give a 5-10 min interview per applicant and cannot handle joint interviews.

Most other consulates around the world handle far less cases so can and do joint interviews.

You're right, Dan. This is exactly what the VO told me when discussing the matter with him at ACH.

This got skipped.

Will my wife need her NOA-2 for the interview?

Thanks

If you filed state side and got a NOA-2 for I-130, then having a copy of it in the "Kitchen-sink" folder would not hurt, my wife had hers, but it was never requested.

Logic would make the assumption, if the consulate got a petition through NVC that it HAD to be approved by USCIS so requesting to see the approval notice is simply redundant and a waste of time at a very short interview.

Just an additional note:

Make sure that your wife knows the contents of the kitchen sink forwards and backwards, and that she can quickly find any document requested by the VO. Taking too long to find something could result in a blue slip. This is taken from the consulate website:

2. Why didn’t the interviewing officer take all my documents? I had everything with me at the window!

Consular officers will occasionally give applicants a refusal sheet requesting that they submit documents that they brought with them to the interview. This happens because the applicant also needs to provide other information that they did not have at the interview, and the officer would prefer to review everything together at a later time, either because the applicant was having difficulty locating documents in a timely manner, or the information was in a format that cannot be stored in the Consulate (such as a large photo album).

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/iv_faqs.html#I2