Not all Chinese welcome Americans/foreigners

It seem as though some Chinese do in fact resent we foreign devils coming to China to get their wemen. There certainly use to be a group of old timers here that would fight you tooth and nail over this subject so I wonder how all the new guys feel about this. I have seen and heard this resentment but some have said that it is impossible. Of course they were the ones that did not speak a lick of Chinese. We have a fairly good group of guys here now that do speak Chinese and some speak it fluently.

So what is your experience?

Link to article: http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/stories/chi...foreigners.html

Larry

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

Our experiences have been 99% ok. Probably the worst was this foolish police woman on a bike who yelled at me for being in my wife's hometown (after we had lunch with the police chief :rolleyes:) Later it turned out Ying needed to get some visa paperwork, and of course she needed to see that woman. She tried to talk Ying out of marriage to me by listing off a number of reasons that Chinese women should stay in China.

But on a more violent turn . . .

We actually are actually friends with a couple (not on CFL) who were attacked by two well-connected city officials while at KTV last year.

These two thugs were drunk, broke a bottle and cut the girl's face. The whole time they were screaming at her she must be a prostitute for being with the American. The husband landed a few good punches before security came over and threw out the drunks. The police did little since they were well-connected.

Joke was on them. The young lady had some high up military connections from her time in the PLA. She got back home and the ball started rolling. A week later she was back in the city where it all happened and there was a significant payout from the thugs' families.

I believe I have said this exact same thing before. American's as a whole mostly retired military, ex military and just in general retired people end up in Asian countries and find them a little thing that they take back home to America.

I admit it, I am a statistic of this fact. If I never joined the military, if I never got stationed in Japan, I would have never met my chinese wimmin.

Of course for being a foreigner, we are automatically labeled as a rich foreigner and of course the girl is labeled as a money hungry person...

I also believe you will find "that" type of women in highly populated cities such as Shanghai, where most of the women there are very materialistic and their boyfriend has to have a good job and a expensive car with a luxurious flat.

I think if you go out to rural cities or even less populated "normal" cities you can meet a honest girl where you have to earn her love. I think chinese women are tough and they definitely have some strong emotions and trust that you must earn.

Being a foreigner however does have a little bit of leverage on the situation no matter where you are.

The resentment is certainly real. I have experienced it on a couple occasions. Nothing too bad thankfully. One was a stupid young drunk kid in a pub in chengdu and the other was a middle aged man in a shopping mall in chengdu. They both just had some choice words for my wife. Not a big deal.

I cant blame them. I think we would feel much the same way if the situation was reversed. And there are some things in that article that are hard to disagree with. There are many foreigners that go to China solely to have a bit too much fun.

I posted "back in the day" about my experience. A drunk Chinese guy in this little fish restaurant (hole-in-the-wall) late at night harassing Jun and asking what is wrong with her and why she couldn't find a nice Chinese guy. Then getting up in my face with his broken English "You America?" "You USA?" "OK USA?" (sarcastic grin and thumbs up) Then telling her to tell me his uncle fought in Korea and killed Americans... the owner of the place got between us. But yeah China has bigoted rednecks too. A belief otherwise is akin to a belief in the easter bunny.

It seem as though some Chinese do in fact resent we foreign devils coming to China to get their wemen. There certainly use to be a group of old timers here that would fight you tooth and nail over this subject so I wonder how all the new guys feel about this. I have seen and heard this resentment but some have said that it is impossible. Of course they were the ones that did not speak a lick of Chinese. We have a fairly good group of guys here now that do speak Chinese and some speak it fluently.

So what is your experience?

Link to article: http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/stories/chi...foreigners.html

Larry

I can't speak a lick, or a spit, of Chinese but good grief, it doesn't take much imagination at all to understand that, probably, many Chinese have a resentment towards Americans..especially when they see one of their wimmin folk holdin' hands with and lookin' all googly-eyed at their American man. :)

Throw in some booze, and you could have a potentially violent situation...so far it looks like members stories have included 4 Chinese drunks causing a ruckus.

News Flash...Being an American doesn't mean that everyone must like us. :P I can well understand some Chinese folks not liking us, or the Chinese wimmin that are with us. Heck, they call her a whore, and Americans call her a mail order bride. I jes loves my lil' mail order Jeezabell. :D

I don't have any personal stories of negativity towards me, oh, I've seen the double takes some Chinese give my wife, then me, then a dirty look at my wife (mainly from older Chinese folks)...she sees them too, and just takes it in stride...she knows EXACTLY what they think of her.

It's cool, my wife guards me like a hawk, we eat in private rooms in restaurants, go to private room KTV with one or both of her brothers, don't stay long, or go anywhere much after dark, and she'd never take me around a place where folks are drinking. We're just a very private couple of lovebirds. :P

By the way, if'n a situation came up, the only thing I know to say in Chinese is...

"Oh my GAWD baby, yore ASS is SMAA-OKIN' HOT" That probably wouldn't be of any help in a fight. :lol:

The worst anti-American sentiment I ever saw in my travels was in Nelson, New Zealand at a "Peace" Rally. A marcher had his face painted like death with U S painted on his forehead and carried a placard of Uncle Sammy with the NAZI symbol crossing his face in red...my friends wouldn't let me out of the car, and sped off. :o

Guest Tony n Terrific

I had a Chinese man show me an American watch that his Father took from a dead GI during the Korean War. He did this delibrately. I tried to avoid a confrontation with this guy by pretending I did not know anything about the Korean War. He was admant. I finally told this arrogant man that prior to the Korean War the US was not in Korea. Who is in South Korea now for over 50 years. The Chinese aren't we are. Cooler heads prevailed and he was asked to leave by wife's friends.

I am student of history. I have always wonder what would have happened if they allowed MacArthur to bomb some of the Chinese cities in Manchuria. Mao was only in power a year then. Maybe communism would have fell in 1950-51 in China and Stalin would have been overthrown instead of waiting 40 years for this to happen and millions of lives lost as well as trillions of dollars in spent treasury.

The only time I had a similar situation was in Beijing. We were holding hands walking down the alley close to our hotel and passed an older woman who looked at us and shook her head with disgust.

Wish I could speak the language, I¡¯d have let her have it both barrels.

Chinasmack is not what I would call a trustworthy and well-researched news link but, be that as it may, I would never say that these type of issues, incidents or behavior does not occur with some frequency in China.

I think what most of the old-timers who are cast as saying this "never happens in China or with Chinese people" were actually saying that what happens in China is not so different than what one experiences in the USA from ignorant people.

I think I could easy start a thread entitled "Replying to Not all Americans welcome Chinese/foreigners" and have similar experiences listed except for maybe the fighting .... but maybe I am wrong.

Chinasmack is not what I would call a trustworthy and well-researched news link but, be that as it may, I would never say that these type of issues, incidents or behavior does not occur with some frequency in China.

I think what most of the old-timers who are cast as saying this "never happens in China or with Chinese people" were actually saying that what happens in China is not so different than what one experiences in the USA from ignorant people.

I think I could easy start a thread entitled "Replying to Not all Americans welcome Chinese/foreigners" and have similar experiences listed except for maybe the fighting .... but maybe I am wrong.

Don't forget the guy who reported the drive-by a few days ago . . .