Labor Strike in China

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One link says Foshan, The other link says Fushan. Which one is it? I bet Foshan.

Fushan may refer to:

Foshan (·ðɽ), city in Guangdong, China

according to some internet searches. It is in Guangdong so it would be what I call Foshan but it can also be referred to as Fushan. Confusing enough?

The strike is in Foshan, a 'bedroom' community of Guangzhou. (also the location of some of my family members)

By all accounts, this is a real strike. Not a protest, not some BS manipulated contract dispute by workers influenced by suppliers, but a real strike, like the birth of the labor movement in the US in the late 1800's .... almost no press coverage in the west (yet) ... will be interesting to see if it runs its course---and makes history---or is side-tracked, somehow..

One link says Foshan, The other link says Fushan. Which one is it? I bet Foshan.

Fushan may refer to:

according to some internet searches. It is in Guangdong so it would be what I call Foshan but it can also be referred to as Fushan. Confusing enough?

It is Foshan or, as they say in Cantonese, Fushan..

What is interesting is that the photo on the NY Times page looks exactly like the Honda plant in Guangzhou.

This could be an interesting strike. Were it not against a Japanese company, I'd say the strike would end relatively quickly with the striking workers getting FITA. After all, the reason cars are so expensive in China is because the government taxes the hell out of automobile producers.

Anyhow, my guess is that the strikers will not get what they hope for. Giving 1,900 employees a 1,000 RMB per month raise would cost Honda about an extra $400,000 per month. I'd bet that they are given significantly less based on increased overtime and then later on down the road the company fires most all of the organizers. Time will tell.

Fushan may refer to:

What is interesting is that the photo on the NY Times page looks exactly like the Honda plant in Guangzhou.

This could be an interesting strike. Were it not against a Japanese company, I'd say the strike would end relatively quickly with the striking workers getting FITA. After all, the reason cars are so expensive in China is because the government taxes the hell out of automobile producers.

Anyhow, my guess is that the strikers will not get what they hope for. Giving 1,900 employees a 1,000 RMB per month raise would cost Honda about an extra $400,000 per month. I'd bet that they are given significantly less based on increased overtime and then later on down the road the company fires most all of the organizers. Time will tell.

Are you planning on the Honda executives putting about $120K/month in their pockets? But your right I would guess too that they get significantly less than the 1,000 RMB/month. Something along the lines of changing the shift start time to 8AM, fixing the A/C in the dorm, and giving 50 RMB/month more pay.

It will be interesting to see how long they let the strike go on and what other strikes are allowed in the future. Maybe the strike will be long enough to cause the Japan PM to take the pressure off China regarding NK????

Fushan may refer to:

Are you planning on the Honda executives putting about $120K/month in their pockets? But your right I would guess too that they get significantly less than the 1,000 RMB/month. Something along the lines of changing the shift start time to 8AM, fixing the A/C in the dorm, and giving 50 RMB/month more pay.

It will be interesting to see how long they let the strike go on and what other strikes are allowed in the future. Maybe the strike will be long enough to cause the Japan PM to take the pressure off China regarding NK????

Some news reports are coming through saying the strike has been settled for an initial starting salary increase of under 25%. After taxes, the employee sees something like a 15 to 20% raise.

Fushan may refer to:

Some news reports are coming through saying the strike has been settled for an initial starting salary increase of under 25%. After taxes, the employee sees something like a 15 to 20% raise.

24% according to this report .. 366 yuan/month.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/artic...4gD86fCgFMiWs5g

Wow... a successful strike! ..... and here's (finally) an angle that will be harder to control at the State level-----multinationals in joint ventures with big ambitions for meeting much higher standards of production---based on huge demand---as Honda is right now.... RIPE for labor unrest, if its well organized, and well timed, as apparently this was.

PRC could have trouble with this---across lots of manufacturing sectors---its obviously no secret in China..

Message to teacher's unions: Don't threaten a walkout at the end of the school year---as one did here in Oregon (since called off)..

The strike is in Foshan, a 'bedroom' community of Guangzhou. (also the location of some of my family members)

By all accounts, this is a real strike. Not a protest, not some BS manipulated contract dispute by workers influenced by suppliers, but a real strike, like the birth of the labor movement in the US in the late 1800's .... almost no press coverage in the west (yet) ... will be interesting to see if it runs its course---and makes history---or is side-tracked, somehow..

I used to live in Foshan. So funny to see a city of over 1M people referred to as a "bedroom community"

How long ago Dan? You must remember when it was referred to as flower town, or flower city, because of its greenhouse industry for ornamentals and flowers. And still has a flower festival. but in the last 20 years, has become a more wealthy "bedroom' for those seeking escape from the congestion (and poverty) of GZ. (much as as US cities did in the 1950's) I mil. people isn't that much by Chinese standards, but Foshan will continue to grow, because of its economic diversity, (such as the Honda plant) and also because of its embrace into greater Guangzhou. This will literally happen within the year, as the subway from Guangzhou links directly with Foshan, cutting the commute time from one hour (good day, off hours) or two hours (much of the time...)---to about 20 minutes.

Well, Alan,

You've done it again ~ ! :D :D your second article is so ironic----"Yum Brands" (KFC and Pizza Hut) THE western brand in China from the get-go and CHINESE union organizers telling the managers the pay isn't enough ~ !!!

HEY~ !! Where are all the AMERICAN union organizers at KFC and Pizza Hut------in America? :D :D very amusing, and perhaps---a ground swell of union activity NOT YET REPORTED in the western press???

---but discussed here first at the Candle?????

I used to live in Foshan. So funny to see a city of over 1M people referred to as a "bedroom community"

1m by Chinese standards is pretty much a small town.