Feeling perplexed on issues with Packet 3 and DS-230

Thanks, Dan. Good point on the variation in paper size.

But doesn't any sort of change on a legal document (be it white-out or a strike-through) require initials and/or date? Maybe I'm incorrect in my understanding.

The only other option is to have your mother do another I-864 checking the correct box and mailing it to you, perhaps priority mail, which takes 10 days or so.

My wife did goof up some on her P-4 forms used white-out and had no issues, no initialing or dating the white out.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, thanks a lot for your prompt reply, Dan, much appreciated! Seeing as a new form via express mail is out of the question due to time constraints, I'll go with the white-out.

Regarding the form, I find Part 2 number 8 rather vague. My mother checked the box saying that "I am sponsoring the principal immigrant named in Part 2 above," but then did not check the "Yes" box right below it. I'm certain that she was correct in not checking "No," as it's only my wife Xuemei that is immigrating. Should my mother have checked the box that says "Yes" (and should I also do the same for my own I-864)? Again, I find the step-by-step instructions to be a bit unclear for this one.

Many thanks!

Thanks, Dan. Good point on the variation in paper size.

But doesn't any sort of change on a legal document (be it white-out or a strike-through) require initials and/or date? Maybe I'm incorrect in my understanding.

The only other option is to have your mother do another I-864 checking the correct box and mailing it to you, perhaps priority mail, which takes 10 days or so.

My wife did goof up some on her P-4 forms used white-out and had no issues, no initialing or dating the white out.

OK, thanks a lot for your prompt reply, Dan, much appreciated! Seeing as a new form via express mail is out of the question due to time constraints, I'll go with the white-out.

Regarding the form, I find Part 2 number 8 rather vague. My mother checked the box saying that "I am sponsoring the principal immigrant named in Part 2 above," but then did not check the "Yes" box right below it. I'm certain that she was correct in not checking "No," as it's only my wife Xuemei that is immigrating. Should my mother have checked the box that says "Yes" (and should I also do the same for my own I-864)? Again, I find the step-by-step instructions to be a bit unclear for this one.

Many thanks!

Yes "Yes" needs to be checked on the form by both Primary and Joint sponsors.

The "NO" is used in cases where there may be two immigrants as in a parent and accompanying child, and using two joint sponsors, one for parent, and another for child.

Note, on your I-864, DO NOT check 21c you dont count your wife as "spouse" on the form, she is the immigrant being sponsored. Your mother if married would check 21c on her form to count your father.

Thanks, Dan! You read my mind with regards to 21c. I was wondering why my math was not working out. Thanks to you I've now caught two omissions on my mother's form. I'm very grateful for your help.

Many thanks!

Yes "Yes" needs to be checked on the form by both Primary and Joint sponsors.

The "NO" is used in cases where there may be two immigrants as in a parent and accompanying child, and using two joint sponsors, one for parent, and another for child.

Note, on your I-864, DO NOT check 21c you dont count your wife as "spouse" on the form, she is the immigrant being sponsored. Your mother if married would check 21c on her form to count your father.