July Interview Group

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where should I stay in gz?
We stayed at the Yangs building, which is a stone's throw away from the consulate. They were quite helpful and made the entire process (preparation-wise) much easier. We did have a few uninvited visitors enter our apartment without our consent, however, this seems to be an isolated event (or at least unreported). You can read all about that by clicking on my signature.

If you feel that you want some preparation help while in Guangzhou, I'd stay with them. If you feel that you have all your ducks in a row, and if you have a little more cash to stay somewhere else - and want to stay somewhere a little nicer/cleaner, I'd probably do that. I've posted pictures of the Yang's apartment in my "off to see the wizard" thread. The Yangs aren't really a hotel service. They basically have an agreement with several apartment owners to rent them out when people like us come to town. Although the services the provided us were great - I'm not sure if the service they provide is legit, think along the lines of a hostel, rather than a proper hotel. I think it is mostly done under-the-table, which was fine with us.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)
Where should I stay in gz?
We stayed at the Yangs building, which is a stone's throw away from the consulate. They were quite helpful and made the entire process (preparation-wise) much easier. We did have a few uninvited visitors enter our apartment without our consent, however, this seems to be an isolated event (or at least unreported). You can read all about that by clicking on my signature.

If you feel that you want some preparation help while in Guangzhou, I'd stay with them. If you feel that you have all your ducks in a row, and if you have a little more cash to stay somewhere else - and want to stay somewhere a little nicer/cleaner, I'd probably do that. I've posted pictures of the Yang's apartment in my "off to see the wizard" thread. The Yangs aren't really a hotel service. They basically have an agreement with several apartment owners to rent them out when people like us come to town. Although the services the provided us were great - I'm not sure if the service they provide is legit, think along the lines of a hostel, rather than a proper hotel. I think it is mostly done under-the-table, which was fine with us.

Ditto!

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showforum=23

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14102 (Yang's thread)

Recent posts http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...4102&st=195

We just got our interview date as well, July 14th!

Only problem is, she's going to be out of the country on a business trip... won't be back until July 15th. Anyone have any experience with rescheduling the interview date? Would they be able to fit us in within a few weeks or would it end up being a month+ ?

Another idea, has anyone ever tried swapping interview times? Not sure if this is possible or not and how it would work with the embassy, but if anyone out there has a later July interview date and wants to try swapping with us, we are willing to try contacting the embassy and giving it a shot!

We just got our interview date as well, July 14th!

Only problem is, she's going to be out of the country on a business trip... won't be back until July 15th. Anyone have any experience with rescheduling the interview date? Would they be able to fit us in within a few weeks or would it end up being a month+ ?

Another idea, has anyone ever tried swapping interview times? Not sure if this is possible or not and how it would work with the embassy, but if anyone out there has a later July interview date and wants to try swapping with us, we are willing to try contacting the embassy and giving it a shot!

Never heard of swapping dates, Reschedules tend to be a month or so.

MORE:

14. I need to change my appointment date. What should I do?

You may request to change or postpone your interview date by contacting the Consulate either by mail, fax, or email. Be sure to include your name, case number, and your updated mailing address in Chinese characters. Also include a contact phone number where you can be reached.

Your new interview date will be set according to the Consulate¡¯s interview schedule. Please note that in periods of high demand, this may up to several months. The Consulate will send you a new appointment package as soon as your next interview date has been set.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/iv_faqs.html#B14

My two cents ... Moving to another country is by definition disruptive. I would suggest she come back a day early.

Yup, that was my first suggestion as well, but unfortunately the circumstances are such that she can't leave the rest of the group and come back early by herself.

Yup, that was my first suggestion as well, but unfortunately the circumstances are such that she can't leave the rest of the group and come back early by herself.

I am guessing after the interview she is going to quit her job, right?

Lie, tell them she needs surgory that day.

Wei Ling is scheduled for July 6, which gives us just over a month. Another that I met while filing the DCF said his wife's date is July 21st. Being that we filed within an hour of each other, my guess is that his case is more complicated (bringing an adopted daughter along with his wife), so GUZ may need a longer time to review materials, etc.

I am guessing after the interview she is going to quit her job, right?

Lie, tell them she needs surgory that day.

I'd agree with this: Lie to the company, not to the US Gov't. What makes the business trip more important than the opportunity to move to the US earlier? Asking for a reschedule might send the wrong message. (Of course, that's a pessimistic view; it might do no harm at all.)

For those not familiar with my case, we have two issues we need to overcome so we are almost guaranteed blue on the interview despite a slam dunk case otherwise:

#1) CCP member. We have the letter all written ready to go and its a fairly slam dunk waiver approval but we don't know if they will make her go through the waiver or just "wave her through" at the interview like some have been lucky enough to have happened. She joined while in college as it was highly encouraged for her to get better positions in her field as an educator.

#2) She has not fulfilled her J1 2year HRR. The GNI-2 has the question about this so she will certainly trigger a Q&A on this. Her return from the J1 visit was 8/20/08 but then she has numerous U.S. visits. If you do it by the book she has to wait until 11/9/10 until she is free (including another planned U.S. visit in early Aug).

On VJ I have seen cases where the consulates in other countries just blew off the last few months but that would be unlikely at GUZ I imagine.

The good thing is we have proved you can go through the whole process and interview without the HRR being fulfilled (others have shown this too) and can get the CCP waiver kicked off while waiting for the HRR to time out. That was the plan all along, so far so good.

I am most concerned about when to respond to the blue with the proof of HRR fulfilment. Since they take 3+ weeks for a call back letter, it makes me wonder if we shouldn't reply a little early so the call back is sent right on or after 11/9 but that's some tricky timing.

What would be ideal is if they could post-date the visa but I don't imagine they would do that.

P.S. NO mention of the fee increase in the P4 packet received. A lot of people are in for a surprise. I am anxious to see what they make people do to resolve underpayment? "Go to the bank and write back to reschedule an interview date..."?!!?!

• 3 weeks later...

Heh, I was standing next to my senator while waiting to board the plane home the other day. I was thinking how possibly she could help me in any way but knew there was nothing and even a casual conversation with her would be useless.... sigh...