We're so F'n blue

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope your overcome process will be a quick one and that you can put all of this behind you.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most maddening aspects of this process is the chronic uncertainty and lack of clear cut info. It's a shame they didn't give you some specifics. All in all, however, I think you guys should be able to overcome. Keep the faith and keep plugging away....

Ok, you've got my curiosity going with your statement "Granted, the way we met was unexpected but still perfectly legit." So, are you going to fill us in with the story of your Unexpected First Meeting? :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement. I really hope and believe we will overcome it soon.

I thought I had posted it at some point but I'll give you the short version of how we met.

After a pretty brutal divorce and child custody battle, I needed a break and some fun in my life. I went on match.com and went on a couple of dates, nothing serious and I was thinking maybe this internet dating thing wasn't for me. Then one day out of the blue I got a wink from Chinese gal in Shenzhen. I had never even considered international dating let alone doing it in China, but she seemed very nice and her picture was pretty, so I responded to her with an email. Pretty soon we were exchanging emails everyday and making plans for me to go and visit her. After what I had been through the last couple years, I thought I could use some adventure in my life and one of my life long dreams had been to go to an Olympics at least once in my life. This was an opportunity to get a break away from all the drama in my life, check off one of my "bucket list" items and meet a nice girl all at the same time. So in August 2008 off to China I went. The plan was to meet her and if we hit it off, do traveling in China with one of the "must see's" being at least one event at the Olympics. Well, she met me at the airport in Shenzhen with three of her friends and we all piled into her friends car and headed to my hotel in Shenzhen. She didn't speak any English and I knew one of her friends had been helping translate my emails and write back to me. We spent a few days sightseeing and getting to know each other and with every passing day I was growing more certain there was no future with the gal I had gone to meet, but I had developed a friendship with Michelle, the girl that was translating for her, not a romantic thing but it was a genuine platonic friendship. So even though it wasn't going that great with the girl I went to meet, I wanted to give it every chance and we decided to go to Disneyland in Hong Kong. So off we went to HK, we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel which was beautiful with a gorgeous view of HK, but from a distance. Anyway, that trip confirmed that I would not pursue a relationship any further with this gal, but I still had a great time. On the train back we agreed that it wasn't working for us and this is where the plot thickens, so after two days at D-land we head back to Shenzhen and when we get to the Lo Wu check point to cross back into the mainland they would not let me in. This was my first trip abroad and at that moment I learned what a single entry visa meant :eyebrow: , entered in Beijing, exited in Shenzhen, visa done. The gal I was with had already gone through but they let us say goodbye across the metal rail. They told me if I wanted to return to the mainland I needed another visa and that I would have to return to HK and get the visa there. They gave me a nice little paper with the address in English of the Chinese consulate in HK. Needless to say I was lost and alone. So, I take the train back to HK island and get off at a random stop because I have no idea where I am going, how long I'm going to be there or where I'm going to stay. The only person I know in all of China that speaks English is Michelle, fortunately I had her phone number so I call her and tell her what happened and ask her if she can help me. Since she is in Shenzhen she can't really help me but she tells me she has a friend in HK who is tour guide and knows the city well. I asked her if she thought her friend could help me get around the city, help me find the consulate and so on. She says let me call her and I'll call you back. Well, she calls me back and says her friend agreed to help me and she can meet me the day at 8:00 in the morning. So, I walk a few blocks and just happen to stumble on to a hotel and am able to get a room. It's a great hotel and I get a great room with an awesome view of Victoria harbor from my room, I'm starting to think this is the coolest adventure I have ever had in my life. At 8:00am the next morning I go down to the hotel lobby, look around, our eyes meet and I ask the most beautiful girl in the world "are you Aiai?", she laughs and says yes and the rest is history. We went to the Starbucks across the street and talked until noon when she had to leave for work. We can't go to get the visa that day because there is a level 8 typhoon warning and all government offices are closed for the day. This is a Friday and my flight home is scheduled for Monday from Shenzhen and I realize I am not going to make that flight, even if I get the visa approved on Monday I won't get the visa itself until the next day which means I'm missing my flight. I extended my stay until Wednesday, rescheduled my flight out of HK and spent the next five days getting to know the love of my life. We had no trouble communicating the day to day things, where to eat, what to do, etc... and we many hours and several battery changouts on our translators telling each other our life stories. We never were apart for the rest of my time in HK. Going home was so bitter sweet, having met her so sweet but having to leave her so sad. Sorry so long but believe it or not this is the abrieviated version.

Thanks again to everyone for the encouragement, it really helps. I'll update when there is news.

{edit} Replaced "]" missing on a quote tag.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Great story! For the life of me I cant see what the VO has a problem with ... first no one would make up such a story as this to tell a VO and second this kind of thing/meeting happens in the USA all the time.

What I don't get is why you interviewed at GUZ if she was from/living in HK?

Thanks. We interviewed in HK.

Great story! For the life of me I cant see what the VO has a problem with ... first no one would make up such a story as this to tell a VO and second this kind of thing/meeting happens in the USA all the time.

Well that was what I thought but then I could not imagine HK giving a blue for this story so I decided you must have interviewed in GUZ for some reason ... I am really amazed that they have a problem with this story...

Well that was what I thought but then I could not imagine HK giving a blue for this story so I decided you must have interviewed in GUZ for some reason ... I am really amazed that they have a problem with this story...

Yeah, me too! Ya know, I don't have facts but just from hearing from other people, HK is very tough.

Yeah, me too! Ya know, I don't have facts but just from hearing from other people, HK is very tough.

This is true, they can be tough on K-3's they suspect married in HK so that they can use the K-3 to interview in HK to avoid GUZ.

They also have been known to demand the petitioner to show can communicate when beneficiary does not speak English well, sometimes calling the petitioner and asking a few questions in Chinese.

HK is not the cake-walk that many think.