Two Year Chinese Residence Permit

Stepbrow

Just read about this on China Daily. I know it effects some of our members, so I thought I would post the link. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-05...ent_9875992.htm

Good one.

I will copy this to your thread and pin in the "Comumication Travel forum"

Multiple entries, exits set to help foreigners with close kin in China

BEIJING - Starting next month, foreigners who have close relatives in China will be able to apply for residence permits that are valid for up to two years, the Ministry of Public Security said on Thursday.

Residence permits do not have limits on the number of entries and exits, which will "greatly facilitate the travel of foreigners", a ministry official told China Daily.

Currently, foreigners who come to China to visit family members should apply for an "L visa", which is valid for up to one year. Under existing rules, the visa has limits on the frequency of entries and exits.

But with more foreigners visiting their close relatives in China, the ministry has decided to grant residence permits to them to make their travel more convenient, said an official surnamed Jia with the ministry's exit and entry administration bureau.

The new rule stipulates that if foreigners need to stay in China for more than six months, they can apply for residence permits that are valid for one or two years if they fall under the following five categories:

• Foreign spouses, parents, and children under 18 of Chinese citizens or foreigners who have permanent residence status in China.
  • Foreigners older than 60, and their spouses, who do not have immediate family abroad and come to China to live with their immediate family. The immediate family members in China can be Chinese citizens or foreigners who have permanent residence status in China.
  • Overseas Chinese aged above 60 who have bought houses in China, and their foreign spouses and children aged below 18.
  • Overseas Chinese older than 18 who come to China to take care of their Chinese parents, who have reached 60 and do not have any children in China.
  • Foreign children under 18 being taken care of in China and whose parents are overseas Chinese or Chinese citizens who hold permanent residence permits in other countries.

Under the new rule, the validity of the residence permit can also be extended when it expires.

The full text of the rule is posted on the ministry's website at www.mps.gov.cn.

Jia said that currently, foreigners under the five categories all need to apply for an "L visa".

Under the existing rules, residence permits are only granted to foreigners who come to study and work in China. More than 400,000 foreigners have gained residence permits in China, official figures showed.

Yuan Shuping, a Beijinger who married a German 10 years ago, said on Thursday that she has been looking forward to such measures for a long time.

"My husband's family members come to China to visit us every year and every time they need to apply for L visas that allow a single entry, which is troublesome," she said.

"I am very delighted to see that my husband's relatives will be able to apply for residence permits since he already got permanent residence in 2006," she said.

"I'm sure they will come to see us more often in future."

China Daily

Just read about this on China Daily. I know it effects some of our members, so I thought I would post the link. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-05...ent_9875992.htm

Good one.

I will copy this to your thread and pin in the "Comumication Travel forum"

Multiple entries, exits set to help foreigners with close kin in China

BEIJING - Starting next month, foreigners who have close relatives in China will be able to apply for residence permits that are valid for up to two years, the Ministry of Public Security said on Thursday.

Residence permits do not have limits on the number of entries and exits, which will "greatly facilitate the travel of foreigners", a ministry official told China Daily.

Currently, foreigners who come to China to visit family members should apply for an "L visa", which is valid for up to one year. Under existing rules, the visa has limits on the frequency of entries and exits.

But with more foreigners visiting their close relatives in China, the ministry has decided to grant residence permits to them to make their travel more convenient, said an official surnamed Jia with the ministry's exit and entry administration bureau.

The new rule stipulates that if foreigners need to stay in China for more than six months, they can apply for residence permits that are valid for one or two years if they fall under the following five categories:

• Foreign spouses, parents, and children under 18 of Chinese citizens or foreigners who have permanent residence status in China.
  • Foreigners older than 60, and their spouses, who do not have immediate family abroad and come to China to live with their immediate family. The immediate family members in China can be Chinese citizens or foreigners who have permanent residence status in China.
  • Overseas Chinese aged above 60 who have bought houses in China, and their foreign spouses and children aged below 18.
  • Overseas Chinese older than 18 who come to China to take care of their Chinese parents, who have reached 60 and do not have any children in China.
  • Foreign children under 18 being taken care of in China and whose parents are overseas Chinese or Chinese citizens who hold permanent residence permits in other countries.

Under the new rule, the validity of the residence permit can also be extended when it expires.

The full text of the rule is posted on the ministry's website at www.mps.gov.cn.

Jia said that currently, foreigners under the five categories all need to apply for an "L visa".

Under the existing rules, residence permits are only granted to foreigners who come to study and work in China. More than 400,000 foreigners have gained residence permits in China, official figures showed.

Yuan Shuping, a Beijinger who married a German 10 years ago, said on Thursday that she has been looking forward to such measures for a long time.

"My husband's family members come to China to visit us every year and every time they need to apply for L visas that allow a single entry, which is troublesome," she said.

"I am very delighted to see that my husband's relatives will be able to apply for residence permits since he already got permanent residence in 2006," she said.

"I'm sure they will come to see us more often in future."

China Daily

Doesn't say anything about working.

Those who have the spousal "L" visa usually already have multiple entries and no stay restrictions.

So are these available at the local PSB, or at the overseas consulate? It seems like you would still need an L-visa to get in the country. While L-visas have a stay limitation, this can also be extended at the PSB in some locations.

Bill - what exactly does the term "overseas Chinese" refer to? Are these Chinese people who have taken foreign citizenship, or what?

So are these available at the local PSB, or at the overseas consulate? It seems like you would still need an L-visa to get in the country. While L-visas have a stay limitation, this can also be extended at the PSB in some locations.

Bill - what exactly does the term "overseas Chinese" refer to? Are these Chinese people who have taken foreign citizenship, or what?

Overseas Chinese are people of Chinese birth or descent who live outside the territories administered by the governments of the People's Republic of China (PRC) (mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macau) and the Republic of China (ROC) (Taiwan, Penghu, Kinmen, and Matsu). People of partial Chinese ancestry may also consider themselves Overseas Chinese.

The article is confusing. For example the residence permit is for those who wish to stay in China for 6 months or longer yet the woman married to a German man talks about how this will be wonderful for her German family to come visit without a L visa because they visit once a year. Do they really visit for more than 6 months at a time. If not then this residence permit does nothing for them.

I also would be interested to know how her German husband got permanent residence in 2006 and what she meant by this -- is this a one yr renewable residence permit for working or something like a permanent green card?

The whole article looks more like an "ad" for the Chinese govt to satisfy some promises made to other countries regarding this issue.

Overseas Chinese are people of Chinese birth or descent who live outside the territories administered by the governments of the People's Republic of China (PRC) (mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macau) and the Republic of China (ROC) (Taiwan, Penghu, Kinmen, and Matsu). People of partial Chinese ancestry may also consider themselves Overseas Chinese.

The article is confusing. For example the residence permit is for those who wish to stay in China for 6 months or longer yet the woman married to a German man talks about how this will be wonderful for her German family to come visit without a L visa because they visit once a year. Do they really visit for more than 6 months at a time. If not then this residence permit does nothing for them.

I also would be interested to know how her German husband got permanent residence in 2006 and what she meant by this -- is this a one yr renewable residence permit for working or something like a permanent green card?

The whole article looks more like an "ad" for the Chinese govt to satisfy some promises made to other countries regarding this issue.

I was told that my wife didn't qualify as a returning "overseas Chinese" (after living abroad for more than 6 months), so we couldn't have imported the container (to China) on her passport, like I intended all along. But by that time, I had my teaching job, so we followed the path of least resistance and imported it (duty free) using my work permit.

But the way I read the customs regulations, she should have been allowed a one-time, duty free importation of household goods.

Won't know for sure unless someone else tries it.

Shenzhen's definition is correct. I'd also add a few categories since the government uses the term "overseas Chinese" quite liberally at times when best it serves their needs. There are times when the term is also inclusive of Singaporeans, ethnic Chinese in Malaysia and even ABCs.

Then there are times the government uses the term and it only applies to Chinese citizens living abroad.

Count on them defining the term in the manner least beneficial to you. :)

I was told that my wife didn't qualify as a returning "overseas Chinese" (after living abroad for more than 6 months), so we couldn't have imported the container (to China) on her passport, like I intended all along. But by that time, I had my teaching job, so we followed the path of least resistance and imported it (duty free) using my work permit.

But the way I read the customs regulations, she should have been allowed a one-time, duty free importation of household goods.

I think she would only be an overseas Chinese if she had become a US citizen. This is at least how I've always heard the term (»ªÇÈÈË) used.

There are a few articles about this in the local Chinese newspapers that give more information. Overall, though, I agree that it is just a propoganda tool.

Certain(*) spouses of Chinese nationals can already get a one-year L visa which allows multiple entries and no maximum stay conditions within the one-year term. These visas can also be renewed continually for equal one-year, or longer, terms. These visas do not, however, legally allow one to work.

The new residence permits will also not allow one to work nor buy property. In fact, these new residence permits will be of little to no use to your average expat married to a Chinese citizen.

1. Foreign spouses, parents, and children under 18 of Chinese citizens or foreigners who have permanent residence status in China.

2. Foreigners older than 60, and their spouses, who do not have immediate family abroad and come to China to live with their immediate family. The immediate family members in China can be Chinese citizens or foreigners who have permanent residence status in China.

3. Overseas Chinese aged above 60 who have bought houses in China, and their foreign spouses and children aged below 18.

4. Overseas Chinese older than 18 who come to China to take care of their Chinese parents, who have reached 60 and do not have any children in China.

5. Foreign children under 18 being taken care of in China and whose parents are overseas Chinese or Chinese citizens who hold permanent residence permits in other countries.

Look at item #1. Expat spouses are already allowed one year. All the articles on this new residence permit state that it will be valid for one or two years. So now under the new scheme you have the "possibility" of one additional year. We all know how "possibility" works in China.

For those with permanent residence, they can already bring their expat spouses or minor children to China and easily obtain permanent residence for them.

Item #2. Applies primarily to Chinese and overseas Chinese. Expats with permanent residence can already do this under even more favorable terms.

Items #3 and #4. Overseas Chinese.

Item #5. Chinese people who have Chinese kids abroad that have not obtained Chinese citizenship at birth.

* Those from countries that China views favorably to exclude, generally, African countries, Middle East, Central & South America, other Asian countries and the old Soviet Bloc.

I think she would only be an overseas Chinese if she had become a US citizen. This is at least how I've always heard the term (»ªÇÈÈË) used.

The term is liberally used to suit the needs of the particular government policy.

Overseas Chinese also include, at times, Chinese students in America who only have a temporary green card. There is / was a policy to allow these "overseas Chinese" to come back to one of the biggest cities, get preferential job treatment and get "hukou" in that city.

2. Foreigners older than 60, and their spouses, who do not have immediate family abroad and come to China to live with their immediate family. The immediate family members in China can be Chinese citizens or foreigners who have permanent residence status in China.

This would apply to me---how is the L-visa more beneficial?

5. Foreign children under 18 being taken care of in China and whose parents are overseas Chinese or Chinese citizens who hold permanent residence permits in other countries.

This would seem to apply to my daughters----born in China, but US citizens, however, stepmother is Chinese with permanent resident status in US --- doesn't this benefit my daughters?

This would apply to me---how is the L-visa more beneficial?

This would seem to apply to my daughters----born in China, but US citizens, however, stepmother is Chinese with permanent resident status in US --- doesn't this benefit my daughters?

2. Immediate family means mother, father, son or daughter and who has no spouse, mother, son or daughter abroad.

How would that apply to you? Is your mother Chinese? Are you telling us that you have permanent residence in China?

5. It would benefit them if step-parent were considered a parent, which it is not. Perhaps if she legally adopts them.

The one advantage I see is for someone, say an American, who wants to stay in China with a spouse. Instead of having to renew the long-L visa once a year, you might only have to do it once every two years. However, I have heard that China already gives two-year long-Ls sometimes when you have had several one-year long-Ls in a row.

This still does not cover the two areas that a lot of people want to see China address:

-a green card-type status for spouses that is reasonably easy to obtain. The current green card would be perfect, if you could actually get it. Something like a long-L but with work privileges would be a major step in the right direction.

-Return-home privileges for Chinese who have obtained citizenship elsewhere. Dual citizenship would be ideal, but something lesser that would allow an indefinite stay along with work privileges would be fine. I believe India has something like that.

I hope that the accumulated policy changes over the last six year or so suggest that China is inching toward these two things. Maybe over the next 10 to 20 years it will happen.

Edited by JamesnYuHong (see edit history)

The one advantage I see is for someone, say an American, who wants to stay in China with a spouse. Instead of having to renew the long-L visa once a year, you might only have to do it once every two years. However, I have heard that China already gives two-year long-Ls sometimes when you have had several one-year long-Ls in a row.

This still does not cover the two areas that a lot of people want to see China address:

-a green card-type status for spouses that is reasonably easy to obtain. The current green card would be perfect, if you could actually get it. Something like a long-L but with work privileges would be a major step in the right direction.

-Return-home privileges for Chinese who have obtained citizenship elsewhere. Dual citizenship would be ideal, but something lesser that would allow an indefinite stay along with work privileges would be fine. I believe India has something like that.

I hope that the accumulated policy changes over the last six year or so suggest that China is inching toward these two things. Maybe over the next 10 to 20 years it will happen.

Totally agree.

Unfortunately I don't see things getting that much better for your average expat except for a few minor cosmetic changes. It would help if the powers that be got rid of their racist and "Us vs. Them" mentality.