Question for my sister

This question is for my sister, I told her to sign on to this website and make a profile and ask the question. She has yet to do that. Her story is similiar to mine but different too. When I made my first trip to China she went with me. She met my husbands best friend there and they had been corresponding back and forth, she has since been there to be with him. He has even come here on a tourist visa.

He is a foreigner like my husband, but has residency papers in China. They want to get married. He seems to think because of the tourist visa he has which is valid for 2 years that they can't get married here. I thought they could as long as he doesn't stay here.

Anyway, she is planning on moving to China. They want to get married in China and live there a few years. He owns his own company and isn't ready to move. She said she needs a marriageability certificate showing she is single. She asked me about it, but we got married in Hong Kong and that wasn't required.

My question is: What is it she needs exactly? How does she go about getting that? Also, she was married before and her husband died. Will she need something showing she is a widow?

Any responses would be great, truly appreciated. I will work on her to get her profile on here.

Getting Married in China

To legally get married in China, you will gather the required documents and present them to the appropriate Chinese authorities. Any ceremony is optional.

Chinese Embassy in Washington, D.C. -
(includes a sample single affidavit)

The required documents may be certified in China by taking them to a consulate/Embassy. The documents may be ready in time to get married (register) that same day. In the states, it must be notarized then sent to your state's department of state for notarization...then sent to the Chinese consulate

Her fiance is a foreigner, also, so I'm sure the procedure would be the same for him.

Be sure to have him check with his local Chinese authorities to see if they will register the marriage - THAT is where the decision will be made.

I got mine in Little Rock, AR at the Sec. of State's office, and had it translated in Wuhan at the notary office. The Sec. of State had a form already available and just plugged my name in, notarized it and that was it. If she's close to her state's office, she might want to give them a call and see if this is possible.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

My Affidavit of Single Status is a story in itself (PM me and I'll tell you the story). But finally ended up with my copying the affidavit from the Chinese embassy's website, demoving the blurb about previous marriages/divorces (even though I had been marrried and divorced in CA & OR), swearing that I was currently single and never been married in the State of Texas. I got it notarized, got an Apostille from Texas' Secretary of State, sent it to the Chinese consulate in China with the G-1 Application of Notarization w/ $25 and a copy of my passport title page. They translated it, notarized it again and sent it back to me. Didn't have a lick of trouble

Edited by Carl (see edit history)