moving to the USA

I tend to go back and forth between the USA and China a lot. Many times I have had to move personal belonging between the two. Usually I reserve space in my bags for very important items such as computers and such. This means many things need to be shipped.

I have found that the chinese post office will ship things to the USA very cheap. Here are my tips/info about sending stuff to the USA.

1) you must buy a box from the post office. The biggest box costs 11RMB.

2) They must pack the box for you at the post office.

3) all liquid and food items are banned.

4) all batteries are banned

5) The first kg is 91RMB after that it is 21RMB/kg.

6) max weight is 30kg.

7) shipping time is 2 months

8) insurance claims must be done at the place of purchase (i.e. ins is worthless)

My first box was full of technical books. It was very heavy. In the end it weighed 31kg. I removed on book and sent it off to the USA.

As you know each person is allowed to carry 2 stowed and 2 carry on items on a plane. Sometimes this means you will need to buy more luggage. I have found that boxes and cotton bags from the Chinese post office make for some of the best luggage. The post office boxes are double ply and they will strap them closed.

The post office also sells cotton bags for 15RMB that are much much better than bian zhi dai that you see in the markets. Granted the post office bags are twice as expensive as a bian zhi dai but they are well worth the extra $1. These are great for clothing on a plane.

And for those of you who think you are smart to buy chinese luggage, you may find your clothes and things all over the tarmac. Trust my good boxes are much much better.