License in china

scooby94

Hi,

If an american wants to drive/rent a car in China, do they need a drivers license? If so, is it easy to apply for one? We only go back and visit the family once a year for few weeks and we plan on getting a car for next visit for the family but i would i like to drive in china as well.

Any one has any knowledge in this area, i would be grateful.

thanks.

International Drivers Permit is not valid in China However you may be able to get a Chinese driver's license using an IDP.

You can get IDP from AAA

You cannot drive with an International Driver's Permit in mainland China; China has not signed the convention which created IDPs. You need a Chinese license to drive in China. (Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan issued licenses are NOT considered as Chinese license.)

PRC laws say that foreign residents can have driver's licenses and that an IDP can be converted to a local license, possibly with an additional examination. Actually getting a license may be complicated. The particular complications seem to vary from place to place and over time.

MORE...

http://wikitravel.org/en/Driving_in_China

http://wcny.aaa.com/travel/travel-planning...ational-driving

Have your US license translated at the Notarial Security Office in China. Study the test questions. Go take your translated license down to the Dept of Motor Vehicle Supervision and take the written test. Cost is 130 RMB. Minimum passing score is 90 out of 100. Test is computerized and in English. You will get your score immediately after completing the test.

You must have a Resident Permit to get a drivers license. You can get a temporary license at most major airports if you only have a visa.

PM me with your email address and I will send you the test questions.

Have your US license translated at the Notarial Security Office in China. Study the test questions. Go take your translated license down to the Dept of Motor Vehicle Supervision and take the written test. Cost is 130 RMB. Minimum passing score is 90 out of 100. Test is computerized and in English. You will get your score immediately after completing the test.

You must have a Resident Permit to get a drivers license. You can get a temporary license at most major airports if you only have a visa.

PM me with your email address and I will send you the test questions.

It may be available at some locations in English - not here.

Hi,

If an american wants to drive/rent a car in China, do they need a drivers license? If so, is it easy to apply for one? We only go back and visit the family once a year for few weeks and we plan on getting a car for next visit for the family but i would i like to drive in china as well.

thanks.

Perhaps someone can "update" my information...but while I was living in China, I had a Chinese Drivers license - but could NOT find any rental cars that didn't come without a driver. I.e., you could not rent them without a driver. I didn't try everywhere, but I did check out at least 5 or 6! So, I just chose to driver our car everywhere....albeit it took longer to get places than a plane - I had the car for sight seeing etc! For visits - I wouldn't even go through the hassle of doing any of it. Rent a car and driver ...save the wear and tear and search for parking if it involves a big city! Good luck.

Hi,

thanks.

Perhaps someone can "update" my information...but while I was living in China, I had a Chinese Drivers license - but could NOT find any rental cars that didn't come without a driver. I.e., you could not rent them without a driver. I didn't try everywhere, but I did check out at least 5 or 6! So, I just chose to driver our car everywhere....albeit it took longer to get places than a plane - I had the car for sight seeing etc! For visits - I wouldn't even go through the hassle of doing any of it. Rent a car and driver ...save the wear and tear and search for parking if it involves a big city! Good luck.

My wifes family is in Hangzhou area and we were able to rent the cars for about 180 rmb a day (a mini SUV). We had her brother rent it out and i drove, but i would like to get some what of a license since im a better driver than my brother is for next time.

Thanks again for the posts!

My wifes family is in Hangzhou area and we were able to rent the cars for about 180 rmb a day (a mini SUV). We had her brother rent it out and i drove, but i would like to get some what of a license since im a better driver than my brother is for next time.

Be careful - driving without a license is a pretty serious offense. It may be very unlikely that you would be caught, but the penalty is vehicle confiscation, or driver detention, or something like that.

Be careful - driving without a license is a pretty serious offense. It may be very unlikely that you would be caught, but the penalty is vehicle confiscation, or driver detention, or something like that.

Thanks, thats why im asking on how to get one for next time :-)