Reschedule Guz interview -- how much of a headache?

My fiancee's interview has been scheduled for Tuesday, May 4.

I want to attend ACH which would be on Monday, May 3.

However, there is a national holiday from May 1-3 in China and the consulate is closed on that Monday, so no ACH.

How difficult is it to reschedule the interview, and would they be able to push it back just 1 or 2 weeks, or am I going to end up with a multi-month additional wait if I request this?

Further complicating the matter, I have a new job. They are being cool about letting me have the time off so I can get over there, but I hate to add the complete ambiguity of not knowing when the rescheduled date will be into the mix.

How long would it take to hear back with the new date? How far out will they push the date? Literally, one week delay would be completely sufficient from our perspective.

My fiancee's interview has been scheduled for Tuesday, May 4.

I want to attend ACH which would be on Monday, May 3.

However, there is a national holiday from May 1-3 in China and the consulate is closed on that Monday, so no ACH.

How difficult is it to reschedule the interview, and would they be able to push it back just 1 or 2 weeks, or am I going to end up with a multi-month additional wait if I request this?

Further complicating the matter, I have a new job. They are being cool about letting me have the time off so I can get over there, but I hate to add the complete ambiguity of not knowing when the rescheduled date will be into the mix.

How long would it take to hear back with the new date? How far out will they push the date? Literally, one week delay would be completely sufficient from our perspective.

It will not just be "pushed back" 1 or 2 weeks. You most likely will be rescheduled for June or even July.

You want to reschedule just to attend ACH? If you have some really important issue to ask about then attending ACH one-day before your interview does not give you much time to correct/address the issue.

If you just want to attend ACH because you think it will benefit your case then my opinion is that you will hurt your case more by rescheduling the interview then by not attending ACH -- take it as an opinion.

Well, there are some specific issues to our case that are more complicated than most.

Yes, I would like to attend ACH. Conventional wisdom here and elsewhere states that attending ACH is beneficial.

I realize that we are at their mercy for the date of the rescheduling, but other than the agony of waiting for additional time, I don't see how it would be harmful to our case.

Well, there are some specific issues to our case that are more complicated than most.

Yes, I would like to attend ACH. Conventional wisdom here and elsewhere states that attending ACH is beneficial.

I realize that we are at their mercy for the date of the rescheduling, but other than the agony of waiting for additional time, I don't see how it would be harmful to our case.

Maybe .. maybe not ... opening an unseen or unthought of "can of worms' may be worse than just giving GUZ only what they request and keeping your head down.

However if you think your case needs ACH visit then reschedule. Just don't expect them to reschudule to the date you want, for it to only be 1-2 weeks later, and for them to happy to do it ... read GUZ reply to the FAQ about rescheduling one's appointment.

Actually, you and I are in the same boat pardner! :)

Cept' i've got it even worse! We're on the 10th: the very first Monday back from their break! She interviews just hours too soon....

Lucky for me, i live in China at the moment, so we're going down on the 26th JUST to be at ACH! I bet we will be setting records for time spent in GUZ- excluding those that live in GZ of course.

Yea, we got some pretty bright red flags as well, and even before we started this whole process, i knew i HAD to make it a top priority to be there. I remember that even months ago, i was planning what to do, should they schedule her for a Monday. Of course, what i didn't foresee, is that i would need to go 2 WEEKS in advance... (it figures :) )

Either way, know that you wont be the only one this god damn international labor day has screwed over...

I agree with shenzhen, and weiaijiayou. Attending the ACH is not that big of a deal. After all you will be there for the interview date. You cannot resolve red flags at the ACH anyway. Before a beneficiary has had an interview you can only ask general questions, not specific questions about your case. If you try to get into specifics, you may inadvertently raise red flags that you are trying to avoid. Just prepare you wife as best you can for her interview. If she doesn't get a pink, then you will go through the steps to resolve any issues.

I agree with shenzhen, and weiaijiayou. Attending the ACH is not that big of a deal. After all you will be there for the interview date. You cannot resolve red flags at the ACH anyway. Before a beneficiary has had an interview you can only ask general questions, not specific questions about your case. If you try to get into specifics, you may inadvertently raise red flags that you are trying to avoid. Just prepare you wife as best you can for her interview. If she doesn't get a pink, then you will go through the steps to resolve any issues.

I disagree.

I went to ACH becoz of a Red flag with my case and asked the VO about it and she guided me on how to address it.

She told me the explanation I had for the situation made perfect sense to her and I should write a letter explaining it and my then Fiancee should hand it it in at the interview.

One other thing I would like to add: There was a slim to none chance of GUZ finding this flag but becoz I went to ACH and told them about it they got a chance to see that we were genuine.

Our interview was on a Monday. I went there a week early so i could go to ACH. I think it was part of getting pink at the interview. Going early help give her some time to gain some needed confindence. She was so much calmer the day of the interview after spending some time going over paper work and talking to other people there for the interview. You never know who you would meet if you go early. Thanks Kyle you are your wife were a great help.

I did make it a point to go to ACH, however I did have a reason, my Yu had messed up her P-4 paperwork so I asked the VO for extra copies of the forms, she was nice and gave me a complete packet 4.

I also asked if both English and Chinese forms were needed, and the answer was if beneficiary is fluent and can understand the English forms, then do just the English forms.

The V.O. noted my visit into the system.

Yes it is the consensus that making your presence and concerns known to the consulate can help your case some.

I did make it a point to go to ACH, however I did have a reason, my Yu had messed up her P-4 paperwork so I asked the VO for extra copies of the forms, she was nice and gave me a complete packet 4.

I also asked if both English and Chinese forms were needed, and the answer was if beneficiary is fluent and can understand the English forms, then do just the English forms.

The V.O. noted my visit into the system.

Yes it is the consensus that making your presence and concerns known to the consulate can help your case some.

Even though GUZ has stated several times it does not and if one really does not need to go to ACH for questions but just to "note their presence" it takes alway time from others who really need some help and guidance.

If you can arrange it than great and it may or may not help. But to reschedule an interview just to "make your presence known" is a little "over the top". If you have some serious concern or issue to address then you need to go to ACH but far enough in advance to be able and incorporate the guidance you are given into your interview package/prep.

Edited by shenzhen (see edit history)