Hi,

I am a green card holder entering the states as a K-1. I own an apartment back in Shanghai and I want to authorize my mother to deal with everything related to that apartment. The bank people in China said I need to go to the Chinese Embassy in the states and get the Letter of Authorization.

Has anyone had any experience about is? How to apply, what's the standard procedure, and how long will it take?

Thanks a lot!

You will be dealing with the Chinese Consulate in San Fransisco, it is a long way for you to go to deal with the Embassy in Washington DC.

Anyway you may be talking about a power of attorney, probably see a lawyer to get one drawn up and then get it authenticated at your local Consulate.

http://www.chinaconsulatesf.org/eng/qianzhen/gzrz/t42742.htm

A power of attorney is a document that allows you to appoint a person or organization to handle your affairs while you're unavailable or unable to do so. The person or organization you appoint is referred to as an "Attorney-in-Fact" or "Agent."
http://www.lectlaw.com/filesh/qfl04.htm

Uh, NO - you do NOT need an American attorney - you need a Chinese Letter of Authorization, which it sounds like you have been told is available at the Embassy/Consulate

You might contact them directly.

Edit - Jiaying did this with her son when we bought our home in Yulin. Have her mother get the needed form and send to you by mail or email.

We also did the same thing in reverse when selling our home in the states - the form will almost certainly need to come from the country where it will be executed and/or its Embassies/consulates (these terms are actually interchangeable for all of OUR actual purposes).

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

As far as the rest of your question, yes, it is a Chinese document which simply needs your Chinese signature, and Chinese authentication. then mail to your mother - the bank will keep it on file as their proof that your mother is authorized to sign for her.

Yes - it simply requires a trip to the consulate/embassy for authentication. Nothing is applied for, so no time is required, other than the actual trip.

Jiaying says that the form was emailed to her - let me know if you'd like a copy and I'll try to find it.

This looks like it here. I'll check with Jiaying when she wakes up to make sure. °ÂÀû»ªÔ°, of course, is the name of our housing complex

ί ÍÐ Êé

ÏÖ±¾ÈËÔÚ°ÂÀû»ªÔ°¹ºÂò______________ºÅ·¿×¡Õ¬£¬ÓÉÓÚ

ÏÖÔÚû°ì·¨µ½ÏÖ³¡°ìÀíÇ©ÈϹºÊéµÈ¹º·¿ÊÂÒË£¬ËùÒÔÏÖ±¾ÈËίÍÐ

____________Éí·ÝÖ¤ºÅÂëΪ£º__________________________

´ú°ìÀí°ÂÀû»ªÔ°Ò»Çйº·¿ÊÂÒË£¬Ëù²úÉúµÄÒ»Çз¨ÂɾÀ·××ÔÐгÐ

µ£Ó뿪·¢ÉÌÎ޹ء£

ίÍÐÈËÇ©Ãû£º

ίÍÐÈËÉí·ÝÖ¤ºÅÂ룺

Äê ÔÂ ÈÕ