feeding the baby

my chinese friend's brother had a baby not too long ago. It seemed the mom didn't really want to breast feed too long as it 'bothers her' :P

And then she was asking her sister's husband, who happened to be in the US, to bring some baby formula from the US. I decided to do the same on my last trip as a gift to them.

But what I noticed, and it's not the first time, was that they also feed the baby straight water in the bottle. It am not sure I've ever seen or heard someone from the US recommend or do this for newborn infants. And then the more I thought about it, the more sense it made really; why not?

Anyways, anyone else have this observation or any other observations about practices with newborns or infants?

my chinese friend's brother had a baby not too long ago. It seemed the mom didn't really want to breast feed too long as it 'bothers her' :P

And then she was asking her sister's husband, who happened to be in the US, to bring some baby formula from the US. I decided to do the same on my last trip as a gift to them.

But what I noticed, and it's not the first time, was that they also feed the baby straight water in the bottle. It am not sure I've ever seen or heard someone from the US recommend or do this for newborn infants. And then the more I thought about it, the more sense it made really; why not?

Anyways, anyone else have this observation or any other observations about practices with newborns or infants?

Feeding tap water to newborns in the US is very different from doing it in China IMHO.

Both of my kids were given tap water NP.

And then the more I thought about it, the more sense it made really; why not?

Nutrients... American doctors advise against letting babies under six months old drink water. The reason is that a newborn needs an incredible amount of nourishment for their growth during this period. A babies stomach is very small so giving a baby water deprives them of much needed nutrients and can inhibit their normal growth. You don't need to feed a baby water for them to get water, They will get all the water they need from breast-milk or formula. You can start a child on water once they reach six months old.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)
And then the more I thought about it, the more sense it made really; why not?

Nutrients... American doctors advise against letting babies under six months old drink water. The reason is that a newborn needs an incredible amount of nourishment for their growth during this period. A babies stomach is very small so giving a baby water deprives them of much needed nutrients and can inhibit their normal growth. You don't need to feed a baby water for them to get water, They will get all the water they need from breast-milk or formula. You can start a child on water once they reach six months old.

yes, that is the usually message.. .but try telling that to 1 billion people :unsure:

Anyways, I'm not so sure the western message is complete gospel given that [some in] china has done it for who knows how long in history...