How will I be contacted after DCF, in Beijing?

You may get something in the mail letting you know your case has been sent to Guangzhou (NOA1), then again, you might not receive anything until packet 3 (such as our case). Everything sent before packet 3 is sent though regular snail mail which is completely unreliable. There is no way to track anything.

You can email Beijing and ask them to update you on the case status, but really, after they forward your case to Guangzhou, there is nothing more they can tell you. They can simply tell you that the case was approved and sent to Guangzhou. That's it.

Can you watch your case status online? No.

EDIT:

Packet 3 is sent from the consulate and returned by you through the EMS mailing system. You will be able to track the status through the EMS website. P4 will be sent to you from the consulate in Guangzhou using EMS as well. When you send back your packet 3 to Guangzhou you will include an EMS shipping label which they'll use to send you your Packet 4. Make sure you write down the tracking number before sending it to them, so you can periodically check to see if the interview packet (P4) has been shipped.

Also, after you mail back packet 3, you also can check your case status by calling the Department of State (stateside) directly:

Call 12026631225, when the first automated message begins, hit "1" to bypass it, and then hit "0" to speak with a telephone representative. I always called them from China by using Skype. By doing this, I was able to know our interview date before actually receiving our interview packet (Packet 4). Good luck.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)