Advice on marriage and betrothal

My fiancee Na and I submitted a I-129F in August 2009 and are waiting for our packet 3.

I have a question concerning our marriage status.

In August, to satisfy her family's concern for her safety and future, we went through an informal chinese wedding ceremony. Na and I agreed however that it would NOT be a legal marriage, and that in our minds it would be a ceremony of betrothal. We did not complete any legal documents or register it as a marriage. We will legally marry when we come to the USA. However I did buy her a ring, and we commonly refer to each other as husband and wife.

For the interview, should we describe that we went through this ceremony but that it is not a legal marriage? It is, I think, strong evidence of our relationship.

Or, would this information complicate our status in the eyes of the interviewer, and make them question whether we should be applying for a visa for a spouse, rather than a visa for a fiancee? While I would never advise my fiancee to lie, I can advise her to wear her ring as an engagement ring, and not describe this ceremony, unless of course she is asked a direct question.

David and Na

If I were you I would not bring this up. After all, you are interviewing for the K-1. Don't muddy the waters.

More important items to your relationship bonfides, are the length of time you have known her, the number of visits you have made, the gradual development of your relationship, and your documentation to verify these things.

I concur. You don't want to make the consulate think you married and didn't start the process over. I'm sure that they are aware that betrothal ceremonies are commonplace. If they ask show it to them otherwise concentrate on evidence pertinent to a K-1

These types of ceremonies are common, especially when one or both parties will be separated from family during the actual "wedding". I can only imagine that the VO's have seen millions of pictures of this type.

The important thing is that you really are not married. No official registration, no marriage..simple.

If you and your bride-to-be decide to include pictures of the event in your collection to show the VO, just make sure that she refers to you as "her husband in her heart, but still legally just a mutt in training". The VO will get the distinction and maybe get a laugh as well.

More than likely this does not arise at an interview unless Na raises it or some remote question about whether the family has meet you.

If pictures are asked for, you have to simply decide if you want any examples of that 'ceremony' a part of it. She can mention it as an "engagement party" with the family.