Driving in China

True Blue

My wife doesn't drive yet. She suggested I rent a car next time for local travel the next time we are in China.

I'm not sure that is a great idea. Have any of you driven in China?

When I was in China the taxi dries were real "thrill rides". I just saw a TV documentary about the most dangerous roads in the world - they mentioned Chinese drivers are basically crazy and Chinese have 14 times the fatalities per 100,000 miles driven than Americans do.

Have any of you driven in China? What does it take to get a license? Did you feel safe?

Thanks for any personal experience and all advice

TB

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife doesn't drive yet. She suggested I rent a car next time for local travel the next time we are in China.

I'm not sure that is a great idea. Have any of you driven in China?

When I was in China the taxi dries were real "thrill rides". I just saw a TV documentary about the most dangerous roads in the world - they mentioned Chinese drivers are basically crazy and Chinese have 14 times the fatalities per 100,000 miles driven than Americans do.

Have any of you driven in China? What does it take to get a license? Did you feel safe?

Thanks for any personal experience and all advice

TB

I have driven in Guangzhou and in Nanning. Nanning is a "trip" watch out for the thousands of scooters and bicycles. They will just jump right in front of you. The other drivers, well the majority i have driven with were slow and had no idea how to merge onto the road, or signal or anything. It is like a somewhat organized smash up derby with no smash ups.. If you drive.. You need to be so very careful watching for the other driver. In a way fun too.. But it was ok.. I'm sure you would be ok.

Dan

I am amazed at the driving skills drivers in Chongqing have. They weave in and out like water going down a stream. What makes it work ok here is that almost all of them drive similar. No yield or stop sign, wow, and few traffic lights. I have driven many years, cars, trucks, cycles, ATVs, but would not want to drive here in Chongqing. I just take a Taxi or bus, and enjoy the ride. The cost of a Taxi here would not buy the fuel in the USA.

I dont have a license but I have driven in and around Chengdu many times. Its a trip. An adrenaline pumping thrill ride to be sure. I love it, absolutely love it. Lots of fun.

The best way I can describe driving over there is organized chaos. Basically, no rules are followed in most situations but its effective and efficient for many. Heed Dons advice however....if an accident occurs then a settlement is usually negotiated right there on the spot, even Law enforcement might get involved in the negotiations. Laowai better prepare to be bent over.

FYI, I believe a new law passed in China last year that allows american drivers license to operate a vehicle in China for the first month of visit. I am pretty certain my wife told me this but I will check and confirm.

I say go for it. Enjoy life and have fun. Its a hell of an experience. But be careful.

It does seem to be organized chaos but it does seem like they are taking care of each other ...nobody wants to be hit or to hit another. And to ride with my lao po or her friends, ¡Ay Dios mio! I am skeerd and nervous as a cat...

We have a new car on order that we expect to arrive next month. I will need to take the written driver's exam, and provide a translation of my US driver's license.

The key to getting along in traffic seems to be to maintain a speed fast enough that you're not getting in the way, but still slow enough that you can brake if need be. This seems to result in a overall SLOWER pace than what than what you have in the states. That and a cooperative attitude if someone is in your way or nudging you out of theirs is needed.

You should watch the traffic patterns and study what they do. If you are "surprised" by anything, you're not ready to drive. To me, they simply seem to know where they're going, and head for it. They also seem much more alert and cognizant of what might happen than drivers in the US are.

The horn is used as a "here I am" alert, more so than a "Get the f*** out of the way" blast as in the states.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

We have a new car on order that we expect to arrive next month. I will need to take the written driver's exam, and provide a translation of my US driver's license.

The key to getting along in traffic seems to be to maintain a speed fast enough that you're not getting in the way, but still slow enough that you can brake if need me. This seems to result in a overall SLOWER pace than what than what you have in the states. That and a cooperative attitude if someone is in your way or nudging you out of theirs is needed.

You should watch the traffic patterns and study what they do. If you are "surprised" by anything, you're not ready to drive. To me, they simply seem to know where they're going, and head for it. They also seem much more alert and cognizant of what might happen.

The horn is used as a "here I am" alert, more so than a "Get the f*** out of the way" blast as in the states.

Very good observation and description.

The key to getting along in traffic seems to be to maintain a speed fast enough that you're not getting in the way, but still slow enough that you can brake if need be. This seems to result in a overall SLOWER pace than what than what you have in the states. That and a cooperative attitude if someone is in your way or nudging you out of theirs is needed.

You should watch the traffic patterns and study what they do. If you are "surprised" by anything, you're not ready to drive. To me, they simply seem to know where they're going, and head for it. They also seem much more alert and cognizant of what might happen than drivers in the US are.

That is how I would describe traffic over here but written much better... :lol:

I especially agree with the fact that seem more alert and aware of other drivers, people and the use of their horn. At first I thought driver here was rude SOB until I realized it was more of an alert saying "I am passing you...stay in your lane" or "I am turning now please let me through" than a honk in anger.

I think they are more alert and aware than US drivers because there is no "rule of law" on the road so you have to be ready for anything and everything including people who miss an exit and decide to either back up (or even turn around and head in the wrong direction) on road to get back to the exit/turn they missed.

Don is right though we he says be careful regarding accidents because you will be expected to pay regardless of whether you are at fault or not and it is best to settle it at the scene without police involvement. On the postive side, unless a car is totaled or there are injuries involved, the settlement amount will be small.

I have a valid Chinese DL but I do not use it much. When I do I prefer to drive on the highways or out in the country and let my wife drive in the city. In the larger cities where the bikes, motorbikes, tractors, horses, etc. are not allowed it is easier to drive but with so much traffic it is nerve wrecking. However I found that in the smaller city it was even worse because "anything goes" is multiplied to the power of 10 compared to a big city and then you have every known mode of transportation on the road.

Driving at night is a bitch too .... headlights are optional.

Be sure to look out for people walking in front of you at all times too.

My opinion - after I got my DL it was a thrill and I was glad to be able to drive again. The thrill and excitement wore off soon when I realized how easy it would be to have an accident.

Getting in an accident would be the biggest danger. As others mentioned, he who has the best guanxi wins. As a laowei driving in China you have none. My wife told me a story about being in a minor fender bender in China. She hit a Mercedes Benz and she was actually at fault. Fortunately for her when the the cop came she knew him and had good guanxi. The other driver was ordered to pay for the damages.

I often drive while in China...I drive myself crazy with fear while riding in the backseat!!!

On a less serious note... I do understand the "flow" much better now and I find myself extremely at ease when flying up on pedestrans, bicycles, scooters, mule drawn carts, busses, trucks, sidewalks, on-coming traffic, block walls, trees, wheel chairs..etc.

It's all okay with me, I don't own the car, am safely in the backseat, and I find it very comfy to sit back and let Dale Earnhart do the driving. :lol:

tsap seui

Not worth driving in China (too much risks). Just hire a driver. It is cheap.

Agreed.

I am amazed at the driving skills drivers in Chongqing have. They weave in and out like water going down a stream. What makes it work ok here is that almost all of them drive similar. No yield or stop sign, wow, and few traffic lights. I have driven many years, cars, trucks, cycles, ATVs, but would not want to drive here in Chongqing. I just take a Taxi or bus, and enjoy the ride. The cost of a Taxi here would not buy the fuel in the USA.

It's something to watch, isn't it? I've described it as a "delicate dance" to which everyone knows the steps but I. Despite that, however, I bought a new car, and got my DL in Chongqing in '07, and am very happy that I did so. It is so much easier than taking a taxi or a bus and, quite frankly, much less hair-raising for me when I'm driving. I eventually caught on and had no problems whatsoever either in CQ, Chengdu, or smaller cities in between. My wife got her visa last year, so we are in Canada now, but when we return to Chongqing we'll buy a car again.