Anybody know the code for LIN Numbers?

The code for the MOS / GUZ numbers seems so simple once one realizes that it includes the number of days since the first of the year + 500.

However, the LIN number has been more of a puzzle to me:

LIN-03-075-nnnnn

Ok, I presume that LIN is for Lincoln Nebraska

03 is for the year.

My receipt was on January 6, certainly not 75 days into the year, unless it is calculated from the 4th quarter, in which case it would still be off.

Any ideas?

----- Clifford -----

Here is what it says at the family avocacy group but it doesnt quite add up right for my number 172 may 5th

LIN-----Lincoln Nebraska

03----- year 2003

Next 3 digits calender day of the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1st

Next 5 I believe are order of receipt of that particular day.

go to: http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/SCN...nal/index.htm#D

and scroll down to:

For most applications filed at a Service Center, your receipt may look like this: LIN 99 001 50001. In this example, the LIN represents the Nebraska Service Center, where the application was initially received into the electronic system. Cases that are filed at or received by another Service Center but processed at the NSC will generally carry the designation of the originating Service Center:

LIN = Lincoln, Nebraska or NSC

EAC = St. Albans, Vermont or VSC

SRC= Dallas, Texas or TSC

WAC= Laguna Niguel, California or CSC

In the example above:

The 99 represents the fiscal year (October 1, through September 30) in which the case was received.

The 001 represents the computer workday in the fiscal year on which the fee was taken.

The 50001 represents the particular case number.

For cases with particular case numbers starting with a 5, electronic case status information is available (see Finding the Status of Your Case, below). For cases with particular case numbers starting with a 0, you must write to request the status of your case.

The "key" phrase is: The 001 represents the computer workday in the fiscal year on which the fee was taken.

It's a govt counting method to keep them employed and us confused. ;)

I am a LIN 03 108 5xxxx where 108 = Feb 18th

I wonder if they just add one day from Oct 1st onward each day they work. Since I have heard that sometimes they work on saturday and have been closed down completely for maintenance occasionally there would be no reliable system of predicting what day with what number without a working day schedule.

Ok,

So an approximate formula (for those dates beween January and September) would be as follows.

Number of days since January 1 = (milddle 3 digits) * 7/5 -92.

I.E. Approx 5/7 work days per week.

92 days in Oct through Dec.

If the date is October - December, don't subtract 92, and use October 1 as your start date.

----------------------------------

There must be some holidays included in the calculation (Thanksgiving, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, New Years Day)..... Plus, perhaps a few saturdays worked too ( not calculated above)

---------------------------------

Thus, for me I would get:

075 * 7/5 -92 = 13 ..... This would be January 13. My NOA1 was actually Jan 6.

For SeLang,

252 * 7/5 -92 = 261 .... This would be September 17.... NOT TOO BAD, his NOA1 was September 19.

-------------------------------

Now, my question is that I have seen on the Moscow Interview schedule, dates that range up to:

MOS2003802060 MSC-03-298-61067 03-Feb-04

Now, with my formula, that would give:

298 * 7/5 - 92 = 325 (November 20) which is impossible since September 30 is the end of the fiscal year, and the MOS number corresponds to October 29.

However, for a 6 day week, one has 298 *7/6 -92 = 256 (September 13),

or, using a 7 day week, it would be 298 - 92 = 206, (July 25).

Thus,

It is likely that the formulas vary slightly from service center to service center depending on whether they are calculating 5, 6, or 7 day work weeks.

One wouldn't want to make it too easy to compare timelines!!!!!!!!!

----- Clifford -----

The govt would never use a formula as you created to give this info. For example, to determine the Julian date of year, the govt uses a table that assumes 31 days for every month (I know that is not true, but it's the govt). So the Govt Julian Date for March 01 is 31 + 31 + 01 = 63. The govt tends to use a chart or table that their employees can just look at quickly to determine the data.

I know this from doing some programming for the govt using Govt Julian dates. I am not sure what type of chart/table they use for BCIS numbers.

IOW, you're thinking way TOO HARD for govt jobs. :unsure:

AW, Dang,

You mean that I have to change my Julian Date Formula to add 3 more days to February (except for leap years) which I would only add 2 days, except for centuries which I add 3 days, except for centuries divisible by 4 which I add 2 days?????

I would like a simpler formula.

But, if I am a "75" which was mailed in January, with the receipt back a week later.

A quarter would be 92 or 93 days which would put my date in December which is unlikely.

Accounting for the weekends seems to work well, except for the MSC numbers which are off by at least 1 day a week.

Yes, many things are simplified with the government.... But, somethings AREN'T!!!!

The service centers use the first date of contact to generate their Day of Year number.  If there are errors in your application, the Day of Year is NOT changed when the application is correctly updated.

that was only one of many like that, it does not make sense I am talking hundreds from TSC check out this site http://macallan.homeunix.org/bcis/

Thanks SeLang for the link.....

One must sit and shake one's head when one sees a range of processing delays ranging from 13 days to 205 days!!!!!!!!!

And, some as late as 235 days and still pending!!!!!!!!

I will look at the numbers a little closer soon.

What would be very intereresting is whether the several that had under 50 day processing times were processed by the same individual?????

1 at 13 days

1 at 15 days

4 at 18 days

1 at 27 days

3 at 29 days

1 at 36 days

------ CK -------