Affidavit of Support

I'm currently a graduate student in the process of applying for a visa for my fiancee. As a student my income is marginal at best. So I was wondering if its ok if I have my parents file the I-134 for her? Besides, we'll probably live with my folks until I graduate next year. Also, will it matter that my parents have sponsored relatives before? My father sponsored his sister from China, who just got her visa last year. Wondering if anyone has any experience and suggestions as to how to apply...

Thanks in advance,

LSW

Yes, I used my parents as co-sponsors. File the I-134 for yourself. Your parents can also fill out the I-134 as co-sponsors. Of course, the minimum income requirement will be more (because the household size is increased). Both yours and your parents (co-sponsors) forms will need to be notarized and contain supporting documents such as income tax returns, pay stubs, etc.

My Parents Co-Sponsored Lynn,After she arrived in the states. The I-134

is for the interview. After she got here we had to file I 864 which is an affidavit of support that you file with the Adjustment of Status after you get married. Parents are very good sponsors and can really save the day.

God Bless Mine.

I'm currently a graduate student in the process of applying for a visa for my fiancee.  As a student my income is marginal at best.  So I was wondering if its ok if I have my parents file the I-134 for her?  Besides, we'll probably live with my folks until I graduate next year.  Also, will it matter that my parents have sponsored relatives before?  My father sponsored his sister from China, who just got her visa last year.  Wondering if anyone has any experience and suggestions as to how to apply...

Thanks in advance,

LSW

I think the formula calculates income and number of "dependents".

I presume you would use your parent's combined income if they are married and living together...... Perhaps an exception would be made for those married and filing seperately, both with incomes above the "poverty level".

Question 8 lists dependents.

I am not sure how your aunt (father's sister) would fit in. If she is independent, you probably don't have to list her as a dependent.

Question 9 lists people who have been previously sponsored. This would include your aunt.

I presume there is not a problem with having previously sponsored someone, although I presume the INS will use it as part of their formula for dependents.

Who knows, perhaps someone at the INS might wonder why your family is sponsoring 2 people from china.

If your mother has been filing taxes seperately, and has an income of her own, perhaps she could sponsor your fiancee, and you wouldn't have to list your aunt, but I really don't think previously sponsoring someone would be a big deal.

(of course, Don always has the opposite opinion as me, and usually has some facts or anecdotes to back it up).

Oh, how far along are you in the visa application process.... If you are early in the process, it may take over a year to complete at which point you may be finishing graduate school with a new job (but, perhaps, not enough employment history to sponsor on your own).

------ Clifford ------

Hey thanks everyone for the advice! Cliff, we received our P2 a couple of weeks ago, so we're expecting her interview to be sometime before I graduate in May next year.

Just a follow-up question: is there a "co-sponsor" I-134 form, or do we need to just fill two regular I-134 forms, with the same beneficiary name?

Thanks again,

LSW