Blue for Financials

Sorry to hear about your blue.

For our co-sponsor, who was my mom, we submitted tax transcripts for the previous three years. If your co-sponsor has all of those pages, I would just submit it. No harm, they will look at what they need to and use what they want.

I like the transcripts because they are issued by the IRS, but if you do not want to wait, it should be no problem to send what your co-sponsor has.

Hang in there. You will have your wife over soon :lol:

we get too anal about the "poverty guidelines". As Randy says, to put it another way; one has to satisfy the 'public charge' requirement.

The guideline threshold is but one issue, although the primary, they look at. They look at what is called the "totality of the circumstances" which may see an indefinable phrase but one just needs to do their best to know the process and get what they ask for in most cases. Some people get lucky, even if they don't know the process.

"Totality of the circumstances" is what everyone applying for a Visa needs to understand. Have income 2X the minimum income for a few months prior to interview is not the same as having 2x the minimum income for 3 years.

Hang in there OP. It's just your day to dance the "GUZ shuffle". Based on what has happened to a lot of us I am convinced that if it wasn't this income issue then there would probably be some other reason GUZ would find to give you a blue slip. I think the VO's there must either be on some sort of quota system to give a certain # of blue slips or just looking for a way to stop or slow down the influx of Chinese immigrants to the USA. Probably some small portion of this is warranted for our own protection from would-be green card scammers, but most of this is the same old BS that Tsap, Michael, myself and many others have experienced here.

Personally I think I'm smart enough to pick my own wife without my government's "help" (if that is what you call it) and I think you and most of us here who read the rules, understand the regs and understand the risks that marriage has don't need GUZ's help as well. The issue you have is easily resolved and the more experienced folks here have given you great advice. Just follow it and keep your stamina and hopes up and you will eventually make it through the maze. In the meantime, just put your left foot in and pull your left foot out clap your hands together and shake it all about. You too are learning to do the same GUZ shuffle that so many other of us already learned.

The other big problem is it creates a huge negative first impression of our government on our Chinese spouses that is really hard to explain away. My wife is still left with a bitter taste from the experiences of us being batted around like a cat toy. She likes the US people but she does not understand the US government. On second thought, her opinion of the US government is probably like most of us here who have had their chains jerked around in this process. Hang in there, boss! It's going to be a long ride. But if you and yours have the stamina, the dusty trail you are riding has a nice watering hole with some ice cold beer at the end!

As the great Mongol Conqueror/Emperor of China Genghis Khan's progeny, the great Empress Chaka Khan once said "I feel for you". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObjLb6ElTvs

Yes, the good news is we've found a joint sponsor. The blue slip requested for 2006-2008 tax returns/transcripts so we will have the IRS fax those ASAP. We are also going to include the 2009 tax return (we might as well since it's so close to April 15) so we're waiting on that from the accountant. Plus another 2-3 weeks of processing time in Guangzhou. So at least the wheels are turning on this one.

• 3 weeks later...

I mailed in paperwork for overcoming the blue slip (needed a joint sponsor) last week. I believe FedEx should take 4 days. What happens now? It will take approximately 2 weeks (supposedly) for the Consulate in Guangzhou to review our file. When they are done, the Consulate will mail a letter to my wife.

What will the letter say? Will it be an appointment letter like the one we had for the interview? (We were told that we ¡°passed¡± the interview and only needed a joint sponsor so there is no need for a re-interview.) My primary question is: will my wife be able to fly to Guangzhou at any time she chooses? Or do we have to go at a time designated by the Consulate?

When she arrives at the Consulate, it should be quick and painless since she only needs to drop off a passport, right? Of course, there will be a long wait for the security check at the front door.

Thanks.

We found a joint sponsor. Our joint sponsor says her latest tax returns were 40-50 pages. Would it be OK if we only sent the Form 1040 (2 pages) and W-2? I believe it's basically all the schedules that are creating weight.

Also, the blue slip asked for 2006-2008 tax returns. In theory we can get away with only the latest tax return, right? If we follow their directions word-for-word, the joint sponsor will be mailing roughly 150 pages to China (3 years x 50 pages per tax return = 150 pages).

If we request a tax transcript from IRS, would it be a lot of pages too? I would prefer not going this route because tax transcripts take up to 2 weeks, especially now (end of March) that the IRS is in busy-mode. So I am looking for legitimate ways to get our package to Guangzhou as fast and as conveniently as possible.

See if they can get a simple IRS transcript, they are free. IRS will mail them, takes up to 10 days, or can FAX them within an hour of request.

You can obtain a free transcript by calling 800-829-1040 and following the prompts in the recorded message or by completing and mailing a request for a transcript to the address listed in the instructions.
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc156.html?portlet=1

We found a joint sponsor. Our joint sponsor says her latest tax returns were 40-50 pages. Would it be OK if we only sent the Form 1040 (2 pages) and W-2? I believe it's basically all the schedules that are creating weight.

Also, the blue slip asked for 2006-2008 tax returns. In theory we can get away with only the latest tax return, right? If we follow their directions word-for-word, the joint sponsor will be mailing roughly 150 pages to China (3 years x 50 pages per tax return = 150 pages).

If we request a tax transcript from IRS, would it be a lot of pages too? I would prefer not going this route because tax transcripts take up to 2 weeks, especially now (end of March) that the IRS is in busy-mode. So I am looking for legitimate ways to get our package to Guangzhou as fast and as conveniently as possible.

See if they can get a simple IRS transcript, they are free. IRS will mail them, takes up to 10 days, or can FAX them within an hour of request.

You can obtain a free transcript by calling 800-829-1040 and following the prompts in the recorded message or by completing and mailing a request for a transcript to the address listed in the instructions.
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc156.html?portlet=1

Dan,

I have already contacted the IRS. They were very nice to fax it to us - immediately. The transcripts took 10 calendar days to receive in the mail. I'm already over this stage.

Could you take a look at my most recent post (above yours)? Any advice?

Dan,

I have already contacted the IRS. They were very nice to fax it to us - immediately. The transcripts took 10 calendar days to receive in the mail. I'm already over this stage.

Could you take a look at my most recent post (above yours)? Any advice?

Yes past years return from primary is all that is needed if using a joint sponsor.

If they FAXED the transcripts to you already then a full return in theory should not be needed, and no need to wait for the paper transcripts to show up in the mail.

I-864:

If you provide a photocopy of your tax return(s), you must include a copy of each and every Form W-2 and Form 1099that relates to your return(s). Do not include copies of these Forms if you provide an IRS transcript of your return(s) rather than a photocopy.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864.pdf

I mailed in paperwork for overcoming the blue slip (needed a joint sponsor) last week. I believe FedEx should take 4 days. What happens now? It will take approximately 2 weeks (supposedly) for the Consulate in Guangzhou to review our file. When they are done, the Consulate will mail a letter to my wife.

What will the letter say? Will it be an appointment letter like the one we had for the interview? (We were told that we ¡°passed¡± the interview and only needed a joint sponsor so there is no need for a re-interview.) My primary question is: will my wife be able to fly to Guangzhou at any time she chooses? Or do we have to go at a time designated by the Consulate?

When she arrives at the Consulate, it should be quick and painless since she only needs to drop off a passport, right? Of course, there will be a long wait for the security check at the front door.

Thanks.

If she does not interview again, they will most likely ask her to drop off her passport, so they can stamp a visa in it. I think the letters specify some time ranges, say MWF afternoon, when she can come in. The lines in front of the building clear out usually in late morning, so she shouldn't have any trouble just walking right in.

Then, a couple of days later, the passport arrives at the post office.

Anyone know if its possible at all to mail in the passport if the return can be mailed to one of the eligible cities? Since they can now send it back, you would think it would be nice if you could just mail it in instead of going all the way down to GZ just to drop it off! (similar to the process for the frequent visitor renewal program)

Anyone know if its possible at all to mail in the passport if the return can be mailed to one of the eligible cities? Since they can now send it back, you would think it would be nice if you could just mail it in instead of going all the way down to GZ just to drop it off! (similar to the process for the frequent visitor renewal program)

2. My visa was refused, and the officer asked for more documents. When and where can I submit documents to overcome this refusal? If I cannot come personally, is it possible for my relative or someone else to submit documents on my behalf?

If you were refused a visa at your interview and the Consular Officer requested that you provide further information, you should follow the instructions on your blue refusal sheet and mail the documents directly to the Consulate. Please make sure that you include in your submission all the original refusal sheets that were given to you at the interview.

Please note that this is the only method by which the Consulate can accept further documentation. The Consulate cannot accept documents provided by email or fax, unless you are specifically requested to do so. In addition, the Consulate does not accept documents at either petitioner hour or the American Citizen Services office.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/iv_faqs.html#A2

Sounds like you may have someone else bring this to the consulate, but they do not indicate they will accept by mail, only in person.