Pros/Cons of wife becoming USC

In China... its not on what you can own... its who you know.

Like in the US... Money talks, bs walks... :blink:

This one has legs of its own - i would have to call it flat-out BS based on my own experience.

Be VERY careful about trying to toss your "influence" around.

Like in the US... Money talks, bs walks... :lol:

This one has legs of its own - i would have to call it flat-out BS based on my own experience.

2 months living there...? you have a lot to learn! ;)

Our grandchild has been here for 2 months - my wife more like 45 years - her thinking is nowhere near along those lines.

Relating my own experience - you don't need to agree.

Our grandchild has been here for 2 months - my wife more like 45 years - her thinking is nowhere near along those lines.

Relating my own experience - you don't need to agree.

This topic has nothing to do with your kid or wife. You left out the original post that I had replied to. The OP was asking Pros/Cons of wife becoming USC. I was replying to who you know in China (either government or economic position) and yes, based on your experiences you don¡¯t know.

Based on my wife¡¯s experiences and who she knows, she can still purchase property and have the some of the same benefits of a Chinese citizen¡­since she has become a USC.

This topic has nothing to do with your kid or wife. You left out the original post that I had replied to. The OP was asking Pros/Cons of wife becoming USC. I was replying to who you know in China (either government or economic position) and yes, based on your experiences you don¡¯t know.

Based on my wife¡¯s experiences and who she knows, she can still purchase property and have the some of the same benefits of a Chinese citizen¡­since she has become a USC.

Oh, I see - sorry, I thought that by "Money talks" you meant bribes.

But even the "who you know" part of it I would take issue with - it seems to be a matter of WHAT THEY know, rather than who your friends are.

We've been treated fairly, and have gotten a lot done, even when faced with a front line of people who DIDN'T know. The PSB and Customs officials have been VERY helpful. The COLLECTIVE knowledge of these people is what we needed and got.

Yes, a foreigner can buy property. I was told a) told no I couldn't get a loan (if fact, neither could she, since she had an American green card), and B ) that I needed a residence permit (which I now have). This can vary in different areas.

But, yes, what I'm saying for any foreigner is to talk to the local PSB to find out what you will need to do and what you will be allowed to do.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

If your wife gets USC then she will need a visa to go there, if you plan to retire you will both need to exit get new visas and re- enter every so often. Neither of you can legally work unless you get p.residence visas or work visa. Legally neither of you can start a business, getting loans will be difficult.

Houses may have to be rented or bought under a chinese citizens name.

but apart from those, its a great idea

Yes she will need a visa to go there but so will you. A two year 90 day duration multiple entry visa is not difficult to get. Even the 90 day part can often be taken care of by the local PSB. Regardless the US citizen is going to have to make the trek occasionally. Are you going to go by yourself or take your wife along? As for not being able to work, isn't that the whole point of being retired? Property can be a problem for some but we have relatives we can trust if we were to decide to buy. Since we will be traveling a good bit we would probably just rent anyway.

Depending on what you feel is important (freedoms), it is nice to have the protection of the US Gov behind you when abroad. Most likely if any problems arise, you'll be deported rather than imprisoned. Less chance of getting separated.

This is a major issue that often gets glossed over by those planning on living in China the "easy way", having your wife remain a PRCC. What if the totally unexpected happens??? :P We plan on starting to live in China in 3 1/2 years when I retire. Before that my wife will become a USC. We already own multiple homes in China that we can rent or sell as needs arise but let me tell you that rents in most of China are so low that it is not profitable to rent. Most are doing it waiting for the appreciation on their house to kick in. Having to travel out of China to renew our visas is not a problem since we plan on traveling in southeast asia anyway and may apply for retirement visas in Thailand or Malaysia... :D

You mean like if the USA, as part of our new shift in anger China policy, implements a full ban (in contrast to the burdensome laws/BS that exists now creating a type of partial ban) on allowing PRC citizens to live in the USA with their spouse ... :lol: :unsure:

Oh, I see - sorry, I thought that by "Money talks" you meant bribes.

But even the "who you know" part of it I would take issue with - it seems to be a matter of WHAT THEY know, rather than who your friends are.

We've been treated fairly, and have gotten a lot done, even when faced with a front line of people who DIDN'T know. The PSB and Customs officials have been VERY helpful. The COLLECTIVE knowledge of these people is what we needed and got.

Yes, a foreigner can buy property. I was told a) told no I couldn't get a loan (if fact, neither could she, since she had an American green card), and B ) that I needed a residence permit (which I now have). This can vary in different areas.

But, yes, what I'm saying for any foreigner is to talk to the local PSB to find out what you will need to do and what you will be allowed to do.

My wife will stay a PRC citizen. This is her decision. Maybe after getting to America she will change her mind. Her thoughts now are that it is better if have citizen rights to each country as a married couple. I also think she does not want to give up her heritage and that she thinks in the future China will be more and more of a global player. I tend to agree with her on that.

When I do retire and if we came back to China we would probably do it as USC/PRC citizen. If it looks like a revolution in China (or USA) we would probably get the hell out of dodge and retire in New Zealand.

I agree, from my experience, 100% with Randy's comment. Once you find the people/office that you need you can get almost all matters resolved to your satisfaction in a fair way.

As a US citizen who is a resident of China I am not sure there any benefits to my wife becoming a US citizen. It is so NICE have my wife a PRC citizen!

For example:

- If I loose my job I am supposed to leave PRC in 2 weeks. However because my wife is Chinese I can change my Chinese Visa.

- Every year I am supposed to register my residents with the local police. As a foreigner I am expected to pay property taxes. Something locals don't have to do. So I can simply list my house under my wifes name.

- When bought my motorcycle in China, foreigners were required to buy a ¾©A plate ($10,000) as a local you can buy ¾©B plates ($800).

-----

In 2008 the Chinese government got serious about trying to figure out which citizens actually held citizenship in another country. If your US passport lists their pinyin name and birth date they will look up their citizenship in a computer and cancel their citizenship upon entry into the country.

Currently in the countryside there are relatively few computers and no central databases, but this is bound to change soon. I would not doubt if soon all citizens will be required to submit a finger print when getting and ID card. Foreigners will then need to do the same. They will quickly find out she holds dual citizenship and cancel her Chinese citizenship.

The USA will allow you to hold a green card and live outside of the USA if you can show that you need to do so for work. Even if you loose it you can reapply.

If you ever plan to return/live in China I would keep her Chinese citizenship.