I-864, but I'm still laid off

I would never disagree with Dan but she can find work on a restricted ss card alone, I did, many do.

But the major thing in your appling for AOS is you "the sponser" you must meet the 125%. You must find a job, any job, that will cover this, its your responsibility.

She is out of status and must be very scared, dont let her sell her camara, trust me on this.

I am not saying cannot find work, if the employer looks the other way. However to legally take a job a person needs to meet the requirements of work authorization which are LPR (Green-card), EAD, NON Immigrant allowed to work some cases a student visa allows this, non-immigrant work visas, or US Citizen.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K-1 does come with work authorization, and you are able to get an SS card and a job. The SS card is a full SS card - not "restricted" - it simply carries a warning that DHS authorization is required for employment. The SS does not authorize employment - the DHS does.

On the other hand, the K-1 work authorization is good only for the 90 day validity of the I-94 only. Employers are unlikely to hire someone on the basis of a soon-to-expire work authorization.

On the other hand, there are plenty of (very legitimate) employers who are willing to hire someone who is in the country legally and has applied for EAD. The paperwork should be complete in plenty of time to cover their paperwork responsibilities.

On the other hand, there are employers who are willing to hire illegal aliens - avoid these at all costs.

you really, really, really, need a joint sponsor IMO.. or you risk losing the greencard. Your overall situation doesn't seem so good. You really need to evaluate what to do and then do what you can.

Mmmm kind of sounds like I am screwed here then. This is why I wanted to wait till I go back to work, 'cuz when I file, it will look like I was never laid off. BUT she wants it as soon as she can so she can get out of the house and feel useful by even having a part time job.

The problem is that I don't have anyone that would sponsor us. I don't have any friends that are close enough for something like that, my father passed away 4 years ago and my mother didn't like the idea of me getting married to an "non-american". I mean, she likes her, but still holds her doubts.

But we have found a way to get the money to file for the AOS fee. She is selling her camera and all her equipment. Being a professional photographer she has some very nice lenses. It will be more then enough to cover the cost.

I hate to be brutal here but based on this it seems you have problems on several fronts that are much bigger than paying the AOS fee.

I know that there are a lot of problems, but sometimes it is better then being alone. Sometimes I feel that I am that battered woman you see on Cops, married to a drunk abusive husband that doesn't want to file any charges 'cuz she claims "i still love him'.

She even told me that the money she is getting from selling the camera is enough to get a ticket back to china. But you know I still feel in my heart that we can work on this.

I find it hard to believe that a man will wait in china for 10 years for a plan work out like that.

There is a lot I look at what she did, said and how she acted when I was working. Yes, her whole attitude has changed since I was laid off but she won't admit it.

I agree with alan; you just need to get a job at any cost if there is no other sponsor (I assume he means this level of action).

Of course her attitude will change since laid off; her entire security is probably wrapped up in you.

And as Jin said: she is scared and DON'T let her sell the camera; this is your issue to resolve for her, IMO.

Here's a good question thou, if I am laid off, but my last years tax show more then the 125% would I still need a joint sponsor to resubmit?

They will QUESTION how you will support the immigrant. Lats year's returns only tell them what you mad in the PAST.

Past income does not indicate your FUTURE since you are un-employed, they WILL request evidence how you will support the immigrant after you are un-employed.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Here's a good question thou, if I am laid off, but my last years tax show more then the 125% would I still need a joint sponsor to resubmit?

What if I ate food yesterday... can I just not eat today ?

Yup, if you have been through a divorce like mine.

But it was just a silly question. Just wondering not bother asking my mother if she could be a sponsor but she said it was okay.

I make pretty good money, I just hit a hard spot now with the economy.

What if I ate food yesterday... can I just not eat today ?

Yup, if you have been through a divorce like mine.

But it was just a silly question. Just wondering not bother asking my mother if she could be a sponsor but she said it was okay.

I make pretty good money, I just hit a hard spot now with the economy.

You were laid off 3 months ago, yes? I guess you can spin it anyway you want but the reality is; right now, you need a job or sponsor.... or case closed.

I know that there are a lot of problems, but sometimes it is better then being alone. Sometimes I feel that I am that battered woman you see on Cops, married to a drunk abusive husband that doesn't want to file any charges 'cuz she claims "i still love him'.

She even told me that the money she is getting from selling the camera is enough to get a ticket back to china. But you know I still feel in my heart that we can work on this.

I find it hard to believe that a man will wait in china for 10 years for a plan work out like that.

There is a lot I look at what she did, said and how she acted when I was working. Yes, her whole attitude has changed since I was laid off but she won't admit it.

Man, brother, this is not about YOU and how YOU feel. This is about the woman whom you brought here under your care. Stop with the whining and the woe is me crap. Mama didn't want you to marry a non-American, so why didn't you have a contingency plan for the possibility of loosing your job? You've hit hard times, but now your lady has to not only suffer emotionally, but sell off what valuables she has to buffer your lack of support. :ph34r: Get a job. Get out of the house and start flipping burgers. Start delivering pizzas. Do anything to show her that you're trying. :roller:

Moving is easier said then done. I do have the advantage that I don't own a home but I did sign a lease for 1 year.

Unless I lie on a job app, I can't get a simple job delivering pizza or flip'n burgers. The 152 job apps that I have filled out the last 2 months shows that it's a hard market here.

MI has the highest unemployment rate right now so I have even sent my resume to different states and even drove to one 16 hours away for a job interview that was a no go.

My next step is to drive an 18-wheeler. I know I will be away from home 2 weeks at a time, but ya gatta do what ya gatta do . . . .

I drove truck for 10 years. Owned my own for five. It's honest work and pays well. Your wife would be glad you're making money and it's my experience that Chinese can accept being separated for long periods of time in order to improve the economic well being of the family better than most Americans. Even better if you could get a driving job where you could take her with you.

I have an appointment next week with a caseworker regarding the free training MI is willing to pay for my schooling. I will know more about this then but I am still leaning towards driving the big rig.

We have talked a lot about after I drive for awhile and the company allows passengers, she would love to come and see the county (albeit from hi-ways only).