I'll be traveling back to see the wife in April and i will be in Guangzhou and was thinking about going to the ACH. As of now our petition (I-130) is not at the Consulate yet. However, my question is: Even if our petition is NOT at the Consulate yet, would it be a good idea to go? If i did go, are there any really "good" questions to ask?

Such as, process questions, or questions related to what we should or should not bring, or ???

Just want to use my time wisely while I am over with the wife again. Never hurts to ask, and i guess the only stupid question is the question we never ask.

Dan

I'll be traveling back to see the wife in April and i will be in Guangzhou and was thinking about going to the ACH. As of now our petition (I-130) is not at the Consulate yet. However, my question is: Even if our petition is NOT at the Consulate yet, would it be a good idea to go? If i did go, are there any really "good" questions to ask?

Such as, process questions, or questions related to what we should or should not bring, or ???

Just want to use my time wisely while I am over with the wife again. Never hurts to ask, and i guess the only stupid question is the question we never ask.

Dan

It won't hurt to go, however there are no across the board questions.

For example, my questions and concerns at ACH would not be yours.

It is a time and place for your concerns.

Do you have any specific concerns and/or questions?

A while back here there was a thread about the folks at the consulate who were getting tired of people wasting their time just to get marked in the computer as having attended the Hour.

This type of visit probably does more harm than good.

Anyway, unless you have case specific real concerns . . .

It won't hurt to go, however there are no across the board questions.

For example, my questions and concerns at ACH would not be yours.

It is a time and place for your concerns.

Do you have any specific concerns and/or questions?

A while back here there was a thread about the folks at the consulate who were getting tired of people wasting their time just to get marked in the computer as having attended the Hour.

This type of visit probably does more harm than good.

Anyway, unless you have case specific real concerns . . .

Correct.

Some posts by the consulate:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=36973&hl=

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=28307&hl=

When I went to ACH last November, the VO also told me that they couldn't look at any case specific documents (because of past comments on this site, I expected the VO to glance through some of my documents). I saw several people tote their documents in but I didn't see one person successfully get the VO to look at them.

I was already thinking of my own set of "red flag" issues so I simply asked questions that would allow me to open up a dialog to address them. I wrote about it here:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=526766

If you're just wanting to document that you were there during her interview - give her your passport or go to ACS. That will have just as much pull.

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of going to ACH, you could go to ACS, and have your Evolution of Relationship letter notarized.

Does getting the Evolution of letter notarized at GUZ carry more "weight" than getting it notarized here in the US ?

Just want to have everything done correctly

Dan

Instead of going to ACH, you could go to ACS, and have your Evolution of Relationship letter notarized.

Does getting the Evolution of letter notarized at GUZ carry more "weight" than getting it notarized here in the US ?

Just want to have everything done correctly

Dan

Doubt it. But questions asked at ACH usually result in the VO entering notes into your file.

I would say don't waste yours and GUZ time ( and everyone's interviews who suffer from VOs having to do ACH to deal with unnecessary walk-ins.

Once you are close to the interview and you have legitimate reasons and questions, then consider it.

How about the thought of just going to listen, one can learn a lot from listening to others. Maybe I can learn something from this...

Good idea, but I'm not sure what you'll listen to. The VO's aren't going to let you listen to their conversations with others attending ACH. Those who aren't called by the VO sit in chairs far enough back to keep listening ears at bay.

If you have no questions and all you're really wanting to do is listen to others, then as mentioned before, I wouldn't waste (or invade the personal space) other peoples time (applicants or visa officers) by attending ACH.

You can receive the same "listening" benefit by reading what others write on this site.

If you're wanting to go to strengthen her case:

To be honest, if you're going to ACH right before her interview, with the purpose to filling major holes in her case, I kind of think it's already too late. I'm not sure what feedback you could receive at ACH, that would allow you enough time to take action before her interview.

If you have questions that will allow you to dampen any red flags, then by all means GO. Or, if you have any general questions then GO. I just wouldn't go if it was eavesdropping intended. Peoples willingness to help and discuss their case can be different in person than through a computer. Personally, I'd think it queer if someone was sitting by me ear tilted hanging on every word I said (I understand this is not what you meant). If you can listen to others attending ACH and perhaps ask them questions - then I'm uncertain why you can't ask a question to the VO.

Of course, I may be wrong - it's been known to happen a time or two.

Good luck to you. I wish you success.

EDIT:

I will say that I appreciated going if for the only benefit was that I got to see more of the layout.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Every time you go to the consulate it is recorded. By going there and putting your face in the door you just to establish some credibility, and involvement. It is not a big deal just a small credibility building block.

You know one reason for going to the consulate is to register your presence in Guangzhou. You do that with an appointment at ACS. That lets them know that you are in town. It is a common thing to do. You can do it online too, but that would defeat your purpose. The reason it is recommended by DOS to register is so that if you get sick, get hurt, mugged, arrested, etc. they may be able to help you. Also since they will know where you will stay and how to get hold of you, if there is some major emergency, the consulate can alert you.

Try to think of some questions of your own when you go to ACH. You could tell the CO about the documents that your wife will bring to the interview, and ask if you have left anything out that will be needed by the CO. You could say that you wife will need some time after the visa is issued to prepare her things for shipping, etc, and ask is what is the time limit for her to use the visa?

Well, that's all I've got. Good luck.

Every time you go to the consulate it is recorded. By going there and putting your face in the door you just to establish some credibility, and involvement. It is not a big deal just a small credibility building block.

You know one reason for going to the consulate is to register your presence in Guangzhou. You do that with an appointment at ACS. That lets them know that you are in town. It is a common thing to do. You can do it online too, but that would defeat your purpose. The reason it is recommended by DOS to register is so that if you get sick, get hurt, mugged, arrested, etc. they may be able to help you. Also since they will know where you will stay and how to get hold of you, if there is some major emergency, the consulate can alert you.

Try to think of some questions of your own when you go to ACH. You could tell the CO about the documents that your wife will bring to the interview, and ask if you have left anything out that will be needed by the CO. You could say that you wife will need some time after the visa is issued to prepare her things for shipping, etc, and ask is what is the time limit for her to use the visa?

Well, that's all I've got. Good luck.

Speaking of Questions: In my initial Evolution of Relationship letter, I lightly touched upon my previous marriage and divorce. Does anyone think it is necessary to write up a separate letter explaining events around the divorce with the ex? Such as if the Consulate Office ask the wife "why did he divorce his wife?" she can answer and then give them the letter? even if they do not want it, would it be good to have ?

Just thinking of things to have.. GUZ makes me nervous

Dan

I think all of that information would be good to have on file. Whether they ask for it or not, well, that's a separate issue. At least you'd be prepared if they do ask for it.

For us, we took in an overkill amount of information, but only provided what they requested. 99 percent of the files we took - they didn't look at. We didn't try to get them to look at things they didn't request either.

I think all of that information would be good to have on file. Whether they ask for it or not, well, that's a separate issue. At least you'd be prepared if they do ask for it.

For us, we took in an overkill amount of information, but only provided what they requested. 99 percent of the files we took - they didn't look at. We didn't try to get them to look at things they didn't request either.

So it probably would be a good idea to have it, just in case. But Not Necessary. I think my wife will need a two wheel cart by the time i get done with gather documents.. Just for grins I added up the phone calls for the last 4 months.. totals 600+ calls.. about 6 a day, and i have all phone bills.... So, I will write up a nice very short statement about ex-wife.. just in case they ask.

Thanks

Dan

The two most often asked for 'write-ups' that get requested through a blue slip are about one of your past marriages and the evolution of the current relationship.

The problem is, even if you bring it to the interview they more often don't accept it since they won't believe it will contain exactly what they want to ask for; so a blue slip is more convenient to request more info and have time to review it.

That being said; you can bring one but have no bad feeling if they refuse to read it.