X¨©n ni¨¢n ku¨¤i l¨¨

http://i47.tinypic.com/rj0gog.jpg

Gong Xi Fa Cai ´º¹

In light of the back-to-back blizzards that hit the norheast, the TIGER is most appropriate for the year because the year definitely came in like a tiger and not like a lion. The last time I saw back-to-back snows was in 93 or 96 but which ever year it was, it was alot of snow, over 30 inches!

Fortunately we didn't get the brunt of the snow this time. It was too far east of us but we got some, around a foot. But yes; "2010-the year of the Tiger". The Chinese calendar was right on the mark! Happy CNY! :lol:

Here is a test:

Why is fish so important a dish during New Years?

Good luck of course. :lol:

nian nian you yu

fish, (yu) sounds like money, more money, so they eat fish during the holiday. Chinese say, "gong xi fa cai, nian nian you yu" during spring holiday.

and we have a winner :cheering:

so the meaning implies that the new year will not be lacking but will have prosperity and success.

Ty gets a first place prize of double fish heads for dinner. :D

Jesse gets a second place prize of long noodles for lunch. :)

Charles gets a third place prize of deep fried dough for breakfast. :P

Here is a test:

Good luck of course. :P

nian nian you yu

fish, (yu) sounds like money, more money, so they eat fish during the holiday. Chinese say, "gong xi fa cai, nian nian you yu" during spring holiday.

and we have a winner :lol:

so the meaning implies that the new year will not be lacking but will have prosperity and success.

Ty gets a first place prize of double fish heads for dinner. :yahoo:

Jesse gets a second place prize of long noodles for lunch. :P

Charles gets a third place prize of deep fried dough for breakfast. :beer:

Now this is a bit of a tough one actually, because there is not a direct translation. Take the word for fish in Chinese, "yu." There should be two dots above the "u."

Because the word for fish is similar to the sounds for other Chinese words meaning, "you have "MORE" left over." It's not just about money. It's about food, money, and the things that are important to you.

:jump:

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Here is a test:

Good luck of course. :D

nian nian you yu

and we have a winner :rolleyes:

Ty gets a first place prize of double fish heads for dinner. :D

Jesse gets a second place prize of long noodles for lunch. :)

Charles gets a third place prize of deep fried dough for breakfast. :P

i want to challenge the winner's answer. :lol:

the word, yu ô~, sounds very like surpluses ðN in chinese.

a better meaning for the word, yu (fish), is from wikepedia, "fish (simplified Chinese: Óã; traditional Chinese: ô~; pinyin: y¨²) is included, but not eaten completely (and the remainder is stored overnight), as the Chinese phrase "may there be surpluses every year" (simplified Chinese: ÄêÄêÓÐÓà; traditional Chinese: ÄêÄêÓÐðN; pinyin: ni¨¢n ni¨¢n y¨¯u y¨²) sounds the same as "may there be fish every year." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_New_Year).

the above link is a quick crash course for those new couples celebrating their first cny.

can the admins pass a judgement on my challenge and award the first prize to me? :bangin: :lol: :P

happy chinese new year everyone!!! :D

EDIT- scroll down to cuisine section.

Edited by george lee (see edit history)