is employment letter necessary or not?

It's necessary if the VO decides it is. Jingjing had one - the VO didn't ask for it. This is everything we took:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry536147

The whole reason we took so much is because you don't know what the VO is going to ask for. Everyone's experience is different - so it's better to over-prepared than under. . .

The attorney who helped us through the process did suggest that Jingjing get one from her employer. She thought that would help her case. In the end, no one ever looked at it.

The VO at ACH told me that an interviewing officer typically looks at what you don't have and then asks for that. Take this information for what it's worth.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=526766

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

You should bring the originals or copies of anything sent to NVC, so if you sent an employment letter along with your I-864 to NVC you should bring it to the interview. (Originals) in the case that you opted in to the electronic process at NVC.

Again what stage of the process are you at? Has the I-130 been filed or are you asking about later at the interview.

NOTE: I-864 (Along with employer letter, IRS returns, pay stubs) is not filed with I-130, it is needed later at the NVC stage or at the consulate.

The advantage of a recent employer letter is that it is more trust worthy, IMO, as to the fact of your employment.

The taxes only show past income. The I-134 just shows what you made; but one's status could be different. Paystubs are good but do not say if your going to be gainfully employed in the future. So I would ignore paystubs and bank info.

I've always thought it's very good to have since if they question the most current situation, that is the trump card.

One should always bring the taxes, Affidavit of Support, and Employer letter. JMO.