FYI - Babies Born In China

Hello All,

I have just received the following information from the American Embassy regarding babies born in China:

Please review the following handout for your information.

<<Travel doc for Amcit child to exit China.doc>>

An exit permit would be the best option for your child to exit China. You

can apply for such permit at:

Guangzhou Public Security Bureau

Alien Administration Section

Office hour: (Monday-Friday)

8:15am-11:30am; 2:30pm-5:00pm

Except Wednesday Afternoons

Add.: 155 Jiefang Rd. South, Guangzhou

Tel: 8311-5808

Fee for an Exit Visa is 420.00 RMB

Normal processing for an Exit visa varies from 3 to 5 working days in

Shenzhen PSB and Guangzhou PSB respectively. No fee will be charged for an expedited visa. Howerver, evidence showing the emergency situations should be presented at the time of application.

Given that an exit permit/visa would only be valid for one month, you could

have your travel schedule ready before going to the police bureau.

For any further inquiry, feel free to call us: 020-81218418.

American Citizen Service Unit

--------------------------------------------

Travel Documents for U.S. Citizen

Children Born in China to Exit China

In order for American citizen children born in China to exit the country, appropriate travel documents must be obtained after a Consular Report of Birth and a U.S. passport are issued by the U.S. Consulate/Embassy.

If neither parent is a Chinese citizen, a Chinese visa for the child must be obtained from the Aliens Administration Section of a local Public Security Bureau.

If either parent of the child is a Chinese citizen, that parent needs to obtain an exit permit or a Chinese passport for the child from the Public Security Bureau located in the place of his/her residency. If an exit permit is issued, the child can depart China on that permit. If a Chinese passport is issued, the parent(s) needs to apply for a pro forma U.S. visa for the child at the American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate. PLEASE PRESENT THE CHINESE PASSPORT WITH U.S. VISA WHILE THE CHILD EXITS CHINA AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTION ON THE VISA WHILE YOUR CHILD ENTERS UNITED STATES. The following documents are required:

DOCUMENTS NEEDED FOR A PRO-FORMA VISA

1. DS-156 FORM filled out in both English and Chinese. (The form is available at this office or can be obtained at the front gate of Guangzhou Consulate or at the CITI-Bank);

2. Two photos of the child (front facing, 37mmx37mm) .

3. Child’s Chinese Passport;

4. Child’s U.S. Passport;

5. Consular Report of Birth Abroad;

6. Receipt of the Non-Immigrant Visa fee (Payment could only be made at one of the CITIC Industrial Bank Branches in Guangdong and Fujian. Please see the attached list).

The American Citizen Services of the Consulate General is open Monday through Friday, 10:00AM-12:00PM , 1:30PM - 3:30PM. The Consulate is closed on Saturdays and Sundays and on American and local holidays. Tel: (86-20) 8121-8418, Fax: (86-20) 8121-8428.

FOR THE DETAILED AND OFFICIAL INFORMATION REGARDING THE APPLICATION FOR EXIT PERMMIT OR CHINESE PASSPORT, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC SECURITY BUREAU.

I don't know about you guys, but one of the biggest pains of this whole process for me is the realization that the clock is ticking.

ShuPing and I want to have children, but having read Robhon's story and a few others, I know I don't want the additional trauma of having my wife go through the whole thing in China, without me. Being unable to get them both over here with me is not how I want things to happen. For those of you currently in that situation God bless you, really.

I'm 41 and ShuPing will be 36 in January and instead of taking a year to ourselves before having a child, that year will probably be spent mostly away from each other. The timetable will get pushed back and we'll probably rush things a little once she gets here. Not exactly an ideal situation for her on top of the culture shock.

I tell her all the time how wonderful I think she is and how brave to come to a new world. Add having a baby on top of it and she's just incredible.

Can I get an "Amen" gentlemen?

Amen Mark!

I think it is wonderful anytime a couple in love can bring a new child into this world. I have been divorced 2 times prior to marring Qunying. I have had 5 children and I now enjoy 6 grandchildren. Qunying has 1 daughter. I remember the look on her face when she asked me how many children I had. You could hear her jaw hit the floor. All she could say (after several minutes) was, we now have 6 children and I (meaning Qunying) is young Grandmother! :o

We have talked about how it would be very nice for us to have another child together, (sense my kids are grown, except for 1) but unfortunatly she had problems when she delivered her daughter and can not have any more children.

So I say to you, Good Luck and I wish you all the joy and best wishes for a new life in this world.

Bryan ;)