Heading back for a visit to Shanghai

Magnus1977

Hey everybody. Just a quick question on going back and coming back.

My wife and boy and I want to head back to Shanghai this September for family visits and the Expo. I wanted to double check what she needs to be able to travel back and forth smoothly.

She is a green card holder.

I've heard of a few things... something about a "passport for green card holders" or does she need some sort of other visa or whatever...

WE plan to be there for about a month.

Hope it's clear!

Thanks everyone!

My wife and boy and I want to head back to Shanghai this September for family visits and the Expo. I wanted to double check what she needs to be able to travel back and forth smoothly.

I've heard of a few things... something about a "passport for green card holders" or does she need some sort of other visa or whatever...

Hope it's clear!

Thanks everyone!

If your wife is a Chinese citizen, she will need her Chinese passport to get into China, and back in the US. Additionally, when returning to the US, she will need her green card. Same is true for all Chinese citizens.

For you, if you're an American citizen, then you'll need a tourist visa to enter China.

Hope it's clear!

Thanks everyone!

If your wife is a Chinese citizen, she will need her Chinese passport to get into China, and back in the US. Additionally, when returning to the US, she will need her green card. Same is true for all Chinese citizens.

For you, if you're an American citizen, then you'll need a tourist visa to enter China.

A few extra notes, Wife will need to show green-card to EXIT China, and should also have a copy of marriage cert, if changed name and name is different between green-card and passport, this shows how name changed.

Also book airline tickets using passport names, sometimes the airline will not allow a person to board unless the ticket matches name in passport.

Hope it's clear!

Thanks everyone!

A few extra notes, Wife will need to show green-card to EXIT China, and should also have a copy of marriage cert, if changed name and name is different between green-card and passport, this shows how name changed.

Also book airline tickets using passport names, sometimes the airline will not allow a person to board unless the ticket matches name in passport.

I'd say yes to the need for showing the green card when exiting China if the destination is the US, and no to the need for showing a marriage certificate. I've never heard of anyone having to show a marriage certificate as the US database has a complete history of records.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Hope it's clear!

Thanks everyone!

I'd say yes to the need for showing the green card when exiting China if the destination is the US, and no to the need for showing a marriage certificate. I've never heard of anyone having to show a marriage certificate as the US database has a complete history of records.

This problem of needing the marriage cert. has come up in the past when the green card holder gets a very by the book Immigration Officer. That is why Dan N mentioned it.