How long to receive green card?

My parents have safely arrived US on Jan 23, 2010. They were IR5. do you know how long it will take to receive their green card? How about their SSN, do they need to apply for it?

Thank you very much!

Hailong

IR5? how hard was this process? and how long? My wife's dad just passed away and she wants her mom to come here.

My parents have safely arrived US on Jan 23, 2010. They were IR5. do you know how long it will take to receive their green card? How about their SSN, do they need to apply for it?

Thank you very much!

Hailong

IR5? how hard was this process? and how long? My wife's dad just passed away and she wants her mom to come here.

IR-5 tends to take same lenght of time as a CR-1 or IR-1 spousal visa, it starts by filing an I-130 petition to USCIS it goes through the normal 3-6 month process, and then on to NVC where you can OPTIN to electronic processing, a few months at NVC and on to the consulate where an interview happens a few months after that. (8-12 Months total)

A BIG requirement needed before can petition is your wife needs to file an N-400 naturalize and become a US Citizen. Only a US Citizen can file a petition for a parent, and CANNOT file one for an IN-LAW.

Other option is have mother visit on a B-Visa perhaps after your wife becomes a citizen, after mother has been here a while as visitor, if she decides at this time she wishes to immigrate, your wife can file I-130+I-485 to adjust mother's status.