Hello again to everyone here... I posted here for a long time off and on before.. I am here again ....

My fiance was here this past summer and had to quickly return to China as her son was in a bad accident.. We did not get married before she left, it all happened too quickly.

We are still very much in love and I plan to go to China soon and we will marry there... What course of action would you recomend.. CR-1 or K-3?? I don't quite understand the difference.. any suggestions?? Do you think there will be any problems as we already had a K-1 visa before?

I would also like to say to everybody, the connection I see between chinese women and their children has depths that I, as an American have never seen before.. I have learned to honor this... Hope you all have a good day!! Jim

CR-1,

Pros:

• Green-card upon entry.
  • Able to get SSN shortly after entry.
  • Able to take a job shortly after entry.
  • Lower cost, Aprox $825 in fees.
  • Electronic processing at NVC speeding up the process.

Cons:

Can't think of one.

K-3

Pros:

• Multi entry 2 year visa, though it has been reported that the consulate has been setting the expiration to 6 months or less lately.
  • If case is shaky and the K-3 gets denied, perhaps may make another run with the underlying I-130 for a CR-1 interview depending on reason for K-3 denial.

Cons:

• Higher cost, Aprox $1496, soon to be $1800+ if the consulate raises the fee charged for K-Visa
  • Is not work authorized, so cannot take a job until either has EAD or Green-card which can take MONTHS after filing I-765 and/or I-485 after entry.
  • Cannot get SSN until having EAD or Green-card
  • Has to interview a second time in the USA for green-card.
  • Has to do Biometrics in the USA to adjust status as well as for EAD Travel time to the service center.
  • Having to hassle with US Civil surgeons to get Vaccinations record for adjustment of status.

K-3 was developed at a time when CR-1 was taking much longer that today, NVC has greatly streamlined the CR-1 process to the point where K-3 becomes irrelevant. K-3 was designed so that a spouse could enter the USA and wait for I-130 approval, but since then USCIS has started tying the I-130 and I-129F used by K-3 together and approving them at the same time, so defeats the reason the K-3 exists, (Waiting for I-130 approval)

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

One note, you say son, how old is he and do you plan on bringing him to the USA.

If over age 18 but less than 20, then strongly consider K-1 K-2, and adjust status after marriage VS Spousal visa. K-2 can adjust status based on their visa type, but only up to age 21.

US citizen cannot file an I-130 petition for a step child if child was 18 or older at the time of marriage, I-130 is required to get child a CR-2 visa or to adjust status from a K-4 visa.

One note, you say son, how old is he and do you plan on bringing him to the USA.

If over age 18 but less than 20, then strongly consider K-1 K-2, and adjust status after marriage VS Spousal visa. K-2 can adjust status based on their visa type, but only up to age 21.

US citizen cannot file an I-130 petition for a step child if child was 18 or older at the time of marriage, I-130 is required to get child a CR-2 visa or to adjust status from a K-4 visa.

No..Yao Yu is 22 years old.. We will deal with his entry at a later date