SSN for wife

I asked this question some time ago. On the DS230 it asks if you wish to have a SSN assigned to you. The few replies I got from people here said they did this but never received a Social Security Card. I just spoke with a woman at Social Security and she said yes that the Social Security Office does issue a card if you have indicated on the DS 230 you wish one. She said at the POE they look at the DS 230 and if they see you are requesting one that they will issue you a receipt for this. she said It does take about 6 weeks to receive the Social Security card from the Social Security Administration. Has anyone actually got their spouse her/his SSN going this route?

Thanks,

Gary

I have seen this come up many times on VJ, same thing, check-box fails to generate a SSN.

It is easy to wait two weeks and then visit SSA to apply for the number, the card usually shows up in the mail a week or so after applying for it. Waiting two weeks has to do with USCIS/POE updating database used by SSA to verify immigrations status.

I have seen this come up many times on VJ, same thing, check-box fails to generate a SSN.

It is easy to wait two weeks and then visit SSA to apply for the number, the card usually shows up in the mail a week or so after applying for it. Waiting two weeks has to do with USCIS/POE updating database used by SSA to verify immigrations status.

I am having doubts that my wife will have her SS by April 15th...Should I apply for an IRS filling extension?

I am having doubts that my wife will have her SS by April 15th...Should I apply for an IRS filling extension?

Have you applied for an ITIN number for her? you can use that if you haven't already applied for a SSN for her.

ITIN is common topic pinned at the top of this forum.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22151

Thank you for your help...you are always there for us.

Thank you for your help...you are always there for us.

You can always file an amended return after you get the SSN (IF it makes a difference - for the rebate a couple of years ago, this made the difference in whether you got the rebate or not).

When Ying got here we waited for her SSAN card which never arrived, so we went to the local SSAN office. The girl there looked Ying up on her computer and sain that immigration had't submitted her information yet, so she decided to treat Ying as someone who was applying for her initial card. About two weeks later Ying had her SSAN card