The GRE Exam

I don't know what it is exactly but my wife has embarked on preparations to take the GRE exam. She is excited about it, bless her heart, she tries. She wants to work so bad but nothing has ever came through for her in getting a job. I think this test will give her some confidence and maybe it will pay off for her. I don't know how she learned about it. I never heard of it. She must've learned about it on Wenxue City.

Well, as I've told her, I wish her the best. Just by supporting her on this gives her confidence and that makes me happy. She is really excited about it!

Here is the official website for the GRE Exam. I found it out trying to learn something about it. Has anyone else experienced this?

http://www.takethegre.com/?utm_source=Yaho...2B2009%20Market

here you go, quoted from your link, "The GRE® General Test, the entrance exam for graduate school ¡ª and for a growing number of business schools around the world. The GRE General Test is like other college admissions tests you're familiar with, except it can help get you into graduate or business school. It takes about 3 hours to complete, and features verbal, math and analytical writing sections ¡ª including the kind of material you're learning at school now."

Here is the official website for the GRE Exam. I found it out trying to learn something about it. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, I've taken it. It's computerized so that the questions can be customized to how well you're doing. Get more right and you'll get harder questions, which are worth more points. As others said it's used for admission to graduate school.

Does your wife understand that this will only lead to a job after a multi-year program in a US graduate school (if then)?

What is it she wants to study?

She wants to be an assistant teacher she says. She wasn't too clear about it so I think maybe she's not really sure. But she bought the big GRE book and is now studying away!...And yes, she learned about it from a web forum on Wenxue City which is pretty much gospel to her.

Does your wife understand that this will only lead to a job after a multi-year program in a US graduate school (if then)?

What is it she wants to study?

She wants to be an assistant teacher she says. She wasn't too clear about it so I think maybe she's not really sure. But she bought the big GRE book and is now studying away!...And yes, she learned about it from a web forum on Wenxue City which is pretty much gospel to her.

There's certainly nothing wrong with studying for and taking the GRE if she wants to do that and is excited about it; it gives her something interesting to do, and she'll learn quite a bit just preparing for it. Also, there's no harm in taking it; I don't think it's expensive, and if she does well, it will open up some possibilities for her vis-a-vis grad school and career opportunities.

However, I don't think the GRE>grad school route is typical for someone wanting to be a teacher or assistant teacher (not sure what she has in mind there). What she will need (assuming you're talking about employment in the US) is teacher certification, which is administered differently in each state. My daughter just finished a certification program here in Austin; she has a university Bachelor's degree, and completed the certification program at a local university during the summer.

Your wife might also need to take the TOEFL exam to prove English proficiency before being admitted to a US school (graduate or otherwise) -- something else for her to study for and be excited about!

Good luck to your wife. It never hurts to learn. The more a person learns, the more opportunities will wait for her.

Since it's the GMAT I've been preparing for , I don't know too much about the GRE. However, I know two websites which your wife may find helpful.

http://bbs.gter.net/bbs/index.php?gid=436

http://bbs.taisha.org/forum-72-1.html

Sorry so late in replying. I showed the links to my wife and she wanted them so I emailed them to her. My wife wanted me to make sure that I thank you for her. She says she appreciates it. Thanks sweetnov. :D