A Question on Passport Renewal

My jurisdiction is in WA, but I live in VT now. My question is that whether passport renewal is limited to my green card jurisdiction? I can go to New York Chinese embassy if the answer is no, otherwise it will be more complicated because Chinese embassy requires citizen's presence for renewing or getting passport in the US. There is no way for me to fly back to SF now. Anybody knows? Thanks

Joanna

If you live in VT you need to file an I-865 AND AR-11 to report moving, it is require by law.

Secondly, it is not controlled by green-card, simply show something that indicates living in Vermont, like a D.L. and visit the consulate in NYC.

Note the Chinese "Embassy" is in Washington D.C. there is a consulate in NYC.

If you live in VT you need to file an I-865 AND AR-11 to report moving, it is require by law.

Secondly, it is not controlled by green-card, simply show something that indicates living in Vermont, like a D.L. and visit the consulate in NYC.

Thank you Dan. Can you clarify something for me?My wife and I live in South Florida and her Chinese passport expires in June. Must we travel to Washington D.C. for renewal? How far in advance can we do this so I can plan vacation time? Can you point me to the topic or thread of others who have renewed their spouses Chinese passport with perhaps forms and fees required (cash, credit card, or money order?). Should my wife use her married name or maiden name? I want her to be able to travel to China with ease. Thank you so much in advance. I have searched CFL and not finding anything specific to these questions.

Thank you Dan. Can you clarify something for me?My wife and I live in South Florida and her Chinese passport expires in June. Must we travel to Washington D.C. for renewal? How far in advance can we do this so I can plan vacation time? Can you point me to the topic or thread of others who have renewed their spouses Chinese passport with perhaps forms and fees required (cash, credit card, or money order?). Should my wife use her married name or maiden name? I want her to be able to travel to China with ease. Thank you so much in advance. I have searched CFL and not finding anything specific to these questions.

I don't think it matters which consulate you go to. It doesn't matter if you go before or after the passport expires. My wife and I did hers in San Francisco. You can have an addendum put in her passport for her married name that reads something like "the name of this person is also XXXXXX XXXXX. As I recall it was an extra 10 dollars.

The consulates also have a program where they travel around to major cities and offer these services to Chinese citizen. They do it about once a year. Here is the thread from when we went.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=307567

I don't think it matters which consulate you go to. It doesn't matter if you go before or after the passport expires. My wife and I did hers in San Francisco. You can have an addendum put in her passport for her married name that reads something like "the name of this person is also XXXXXX XXXXX. As I recall it was an extra 10 dollars.

The consulates also have a program where they travel around to major cities and offer these services to Chinese citizen. They do it about once a year. Here is the thread from when we went.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=307567

Thank you my friend : ) All info most appreciated!

Thanks to all for helping answer the questions.

Now it does bring up another question: my passport will not expire until May, 2011. Can I change it this March or April, a year before the expiration? We are going to New york for a vacation and thought it might be nice to do it then rather than make a special trip just for the passport issue. Anybody knows?

Often times the Chinese consulate will periodically send a temporary delegation to other cities to support their citizenry. At one of these weekend sessions in our city, we did the paperwork to have her passport amended with married name. They interview you in your home city and then paperwork is mailed to the Chinese consulate.

Thanks to all for helping answer the questions.

Now it does bring up another question: my passport will not expire until May, 2011. Can I change it this March or April, a year before the expiration? We are going to New york for a vacation and thought it might be nice to do it then rather than make a special trip just for the passport issue. Anybody knows?

Yes you can renew your passport early if you wish, but it will then expire 10 years from the date you choose to renew.