Hong Kong acid attacks

Yeah, I've wondered about this too. I've never shopped for acid while in Hong Kong :roller: , but I imagine it is relatively easy to get, pool supply stores for instance, carry acid because it's used in cleaning and maintaining PH levels in the pool. It always seems to be the same MO, bottles thrown from a roof top, so hopefully now they have caught the guy who has been doing it.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/01/1...tack/index.html

So why do we keep hearing about these seemingly random attacks on crowds using acid in Hong Kong? Is acid that easy to get? Would these acid throwers be using guns if those were as easy to get? What's the deal?

These chemicals are easily obtained because they have lots of industrial/commercial applications, and lots of supply houses and hardware stalls in HK sell them. While these incidents look intentional, some are not. There are lots of high rises in HK, and people accidentally "throw" things out the window from time to time.

So why do we keep hearing about these seemingly random attacks on crowds using acid in Hong Kong? Is acid that easy to get? Would these acid throwers be using guns if those were as easy to get? What's the deal?

Guns are easy to get in Hong Kong.

They like acid because there is little way to trace it back to one particular person. Also it doesn't make a noise.

This has been going on for a long, long time and I don't remember where they have ever caught anybody.

These chemicals are easily obtained because they have lots of industrial/commercial applications, and lots of supply houses and hardware stalls in HK sell them. While these incidents look intentional, some are not. There are lots of high rises in HK, and people accidentally "throw" things out the window from time to time.

I doubt serious it was an accident.

In any event, anybody moronic enough to accidentally throw acid out of their high-rise window needs to be hanged for being a complete freaking stupid sack of feces.

If its the most common commercial form (the kind used in swimming pools for instance) that would be muriatic acid, with is a very much diluted form of hydrochloric acid. I used it extensively when I used to manage swimming pools. This isn't the kind of acid that can cause deep burns, although it probably can cause permanent eye damage if not flushed immediately. It certainly will ruin clothing, and cause first degree burns.

----hope they got their guy ~ ! .. particularly since Temple street is right next to a hotel I stay at sometimes in HK ---Dorsett Seaview.