Do the Whole Physical When Arriving

When your S.O. in in China and they have the Physical in China make sure when you arrive in the USA you have to do the civil surgeon physical or interview make sure you do the whole indepth physical .

I was told I only needed to do the immunization interview . Well it cam back to bite me in the but , I now have to redo the civil surgeon physical .($ 130.00 )

Make sure you have your ducks in a row .

Michael-Sean

When your S.O. in in China and they have the Physical in China make sure when you arrive in the USA you have to do the civil surgeon physical or interview make sure you do the whole indepth physical .

I was told I only needed to do the immunization interview . Well it cam back to bite me in the but , I now have to redo the civil surgeon physical .($ 130.00 )

Make sure you have your ducks in a row .

Michael-Sean

We ran into the same thing a few years ago when my wife and daughter arrived in the US. If a physical was conducted before the interview, as it should, then you only need the immunizations. Check your paperwork carefully and find a civil surgeon that will complete the necessary forms for you. You might have to look around a bit, but don't let them bamboozle you with extra charges you don't need to pay.

We did just the vaccinations part as per the directions included with form I-693, and had NO problem.

For tha vast majority of K-Visa holders this is fine, only in cases where a medical report some how is misplaced by the consulate or USCIS or in cases where visa medical is more than a year before before filing I-485 would a full medical be needed.

I would not advise people to do a Full medical and WASTE hundreds of $$ when in most cases it is NOT required.

File with the vaccinations record, and ONLY if USCIS requests full medical via RFE do a full medical.

We did just the vaccinations part as per the directions included with form I-693, and had NO problem.

For tha vast majority of K-Visa holders this is fine, only in cases where a medical report some how is misplaced by the consulate or USCIS or in cases where visa medical is more than a year before before filing I-485 would a full medical be needed.

I would not advise people to do a Full medical and WASTE hundreds of $$ when in most cases it is NOT required.

File with the vaccinations record, and ONLY if USCIS requests full medical via RFE do a full medical.

Dnoblett,

I have to disagree with your suggestion to do the full medical if the USCIS requests it. We received an RFE from the USCIS that suggested we do the full medical for my daughter. I wrote a few letters back to clarify that the visa was a K1, and that a K1 visa holder cannot under any circumstances be granted a visa until they complete the medical examination in China. I paid for it, and just was not going to pay for it again, because some schmo at the USCIS was too lazy or ignorant to notice it was a K1 visa.

Now, if you take the route I did, you have to be willing to stick to your guns. Many just pay the fee, which is probably generating them a lot of extra money that they're not entitled.

Civil surgeons are notorious for trying to convince people that they have to do the whole exam over again. Use the civil surgeon locater tool on the USCIS website and write down all the phone numbers in an outward spiral with the first being closest. Keep calling until you find one that will sign off with only the vaccination section. If you had the vaccinations done in China all you should have to do is show him the little yellow book and have him fill out the vaccination section of the I-693. This shouldn't cost you more than $50. I can't remember where but somewhere on CFL is contact information for a civil surgeon in Texas who will do it by mail. It does not have to be a civil surgeon in your state.

Dnoblett,

I have to disagree with your suggestion to do the full medical if the USCIS requests it. We received an RFE from the USCIS that suggested we do the full medical for my daughter. I wrote a few letters back to clarify that the visa was a K1, and that a K1 visa holder cannot under any circumstances be granted a visa until they complete the medical examination in China. I paid for it, and just was not going to pay for it again, because some schmo at the USCIS was too lazy or ignorant to notice it was a K1 visa.

Now, if you take the route I did, you have to be willing to stick to your guns. Many just pay the fee, which is probably generating them a lot of extra money that they're not entitled.

Good to hear that can stand up when USCIS screws up.

What I was saying is that the OP was suggesting going FULL medical no matter what, and I stated that this is not correct and a wast of $$.

In many cases you need to fight with some of these doctors who too try to whack you for a ful medical.

AOS vaccinations require has to be one of the craziest topics it keeps coming up.

My wife and I did thing a lot different than 99% here did. We actually met each other on and airplane to the US. She was on a B-2 business visa.

Having said that we got into the civil surgeon thing as she never had a medical examination in China for immigration purposes. Oh she had all the medical work that was required but it was all done here in the US.

Most of it was done right at the County Health office at a very nominal fee. Shots, physical and x-rays for less than $100.

Now to the civil surgeon. What a rip off it was for us. When we went in the office staff said that all we would have to pay was $100 as my Federal Blue Cross and Blue Shield health insurance would pay the rest. That had to be cash and no check payable that day before he would see her. The examination consisted of listening to her chest, looking at her throat, looking at her ears and taking her blood pressure. That was it as she had everything else and had proof of it. Three weeks later we were sent a bill for another $265. Now keep in mind that BC&BS pays all but 10% of the bill. I was going to take him to the proverbial P****** Post but my wife did not want to make waves so we just paid. She thought that he might cause us some kind of trouble. So doing the math it seems as though this turd got close to $3,000 out of me and BC&BS for a 10 minute examination.

Larry

My wife and I did thing a lot different than 99% here did. We actually met each other on and airplane to the US. She was on a B-2 business visa.

Having said that we got into the civil surgeon thing as she never had a medical examination in China for immigration purposes. Oh she had all the medical work that was required but it was all done here in the US.

Most of it was done right at the County Health office at a very nominal fee. Shots, physical and x-rays for less than $100.

Now to the civil surgeon. What a rip off it was for us. When we went in the office staff said that all we would have to pay was $100 as my Federal Blue Cross and Blue Shield health insurance would pay the rest. That had to be cash and no check payable that day before he would see her. The examination consisted of listening to her chest, looking at her throat, looking at her ears and taking her blood pressure. That was it as she had everything else and had proof of it. Three weeks later we were sent a bill for another $265. Now keep in mind that BC&BS pays all but 10% of the bill. I was going to take him to the proverbial P****** Post but my wife did not want to make waves so we just paid. She thought that he might cause us some kind of trouble. So doing the math it seems as though this turd got close to $3,000 out of me and BC&BS for a 10 minute examination.

Larry

Yep, in your case since you adjusted status from a NON-Immigrant B-Visitor's visa a FULL Medical was required.