Tax Transcripts? Certified Tax Transcripts? Whaaat?

PLEASE READ I-864 directions.

You are not required to have the IRS certify the transcript or photocopy unless specifically instructed to do so by a Government official; a plain transcript or photocopy is acceptable. Telefile tax records are not acceptable proof of filing.
PAGE 8 http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864.pdf

I'm seeing a ton of conflicting information about what exactly I need to provide with the Affadavit of Support form. Some people on VisaJourney are saying that you can get tax transcripts by calling the IRS and they will fax them to you that very moment.

Other people are saying "no no no!" and that you have to file some special request and get "Certified" tax transcripts which costs a fee.

Which is it?

I'm due for my NOA2 approval anyday now, and hoping it's not the latter, because they supposedly take 60 days to show up (again, conflicting information on how long they take to do this)

Which do I need? And... since we're at the end of 2009, what about my 2009 taxes? I probably won't have my W-2 until February. Do I go with 2006-2008 instead? Or..........?

You can do a google or yahoo search, for Tax Transcript. You can print, fill out and mail the request form, Form 4506-T, and get your Tax Transcripts in a week or so, free. You can call 1-800-829-1040 to order a transcript through the automated self-help system also. Once you file your 2009 tax, maybe wait a week or so, and get a transcript of your 09 Tax.

Yes the transcripts are free. I called them (IRS) on a Tuesday and they were in my mailbox on Saturday.

Hey D&Z, Where did you call and do you still have the phone number?

Thank you..... ZZ

Here's the IRS directions on how to order transcripts:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html

Phone number is: 1-800-829-1040; expect to wait on hold for a while.

They say to expect two weeks for delivery, but mine arrived in less than a week.

Yes the transcripts are free. I called them (IRS) on a Tuesday and they were in my mailbox on Saturday.

Thank you..... ZZ

They say to expect two weeks for delivery, but mine arrived in less than a week.

Last time I ordered transcripts I called the IRS, talked to operator and had them faxed to me a few minutes after talking to them.

I've read that they often will not request the current tax records until after the April deadline.

Also, I've read on this site that the tax transcripts are free. My wife and I however, simply gave them copies of our tax returns. We did not opt for the transcripts

Kyle was correct about this. I sent in my 2006-2008 tax transcripts and a copy of 2008 W-2. Before our interview in Feb. I got my 2009 W-2. My wife wanted to hand it in with the required documents. I said no .. we only give them what we sent them and what they asked for.

They did not ask for the 2009 W-2 at the interview. And I know what some are you are thinking .... I checked in the documents she gave back to me and the 2009 W-2 was still in the bag.... :)

From the IRS website

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc156.html?portlet=1

Topic 156 - Copy of Your Tax Return ¨C How to Get One

If you need an exact copy of a previously filed and processed tax return and all attachments (including Form W-2), you should complete Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return, and mail it to the address listed in the instructions, along with a $57.00 fee for each tax year requested. The check or money order for the fee should be made payable to the "United States Treasury". Copies are generally available for returns filed in the current and past six years. Copies of jointly filed tax returns may be requested by either spouse and only one signature is required. Allow 60 calendar days to receive your copies.

Most needs for tax return information can be met with a computer print-out of your return information called a "transcript". A transcript may be an acceptable substitute for an exact copy of a return by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and lending agencies for student loans and mortgages. A "tax return transcript" will show most line items contained on the return as it was originally filed. If you need a statement of your tax account which shows changes that you or the IRS made after the original return was filed, however, you must request a "tax account transcript". Both transcripts are generally available for the current and past three years and are provided free of charge. The period in which you will receive the transcript varies from within ten to thirty business days from the time the IRS receives your request for the tax return or tax account transcript.

You can obtain a free transcript by calling 800-829-1040 and following the prompts in the recorded message or by completing and mailing a request for a transcript to the address listed in the instructions.

Thank you..... ZZ

Last time I ordered transcripts I called the IRS, talked to operator and had them faxed to me a few minutes after talking to them.

I called and got my last 3 years today...long wait but the officer was very nice. She waited until all of the fax arrived (20 pages)...it took 50 minutes, total. Thanx for the tip, Dnoblett.

I got my taxes done today by H & R Block. Came out pretty good, $4218 on federal and $798 on state. Sounds like time to take that vacation I always wanted. Take my qizi to the Mariana Islands to Marpi Point. It's not too far from Shanghai, only across the Philippine Sea to the Yellow Sea. Sounds like the trip but it sounds more like a dream. I'll think about it! :angry:

I got my taxes done today by H & R Block. Came out pretty good, $4218 on federal and $798 on state. Sounds like time to take that vacation I always wanted. Take my qizi to the Mariana Islands to Marpi Point. It's not too far from Shanghai, only across the Philippine Sea to the Yellow Sea. Sounds like the trip but it sounds more like a dream. I'll think about it! :angry:

~Sigh~ I already spent mine :angry:

• 2 weeks later...