If my fiancee becomes a US citizen will she lose her Chinese citizensh

jdoe

If I bring my fiancee to the US on a fiancee visa and end up marrying her and she becomes a US citizenship will she lose her Chinese citizenship? Or can she have dual or what? If she does lose it what are the implied ramifications that I should think of? Probably in light of the fact that we plan to later move back to China.

Thanks, hmm, so I guess some loss of benefits. Like government assistances and other privileges of a citizen of China.

Maybe then I guess if we plan to live in China full time it would be best for her to keep her Chinese citizenship.

I wonder though if somehow I can bring her over here for a while maybe some years while we go to school and save ect?

I also wonder if it would be hard for me to get a Chinese citizenship? Or if hers is enough. I am pretty sure I can still retain my US citizenship at the same time of having a Chinese citizenship.

By the way sorry for posting in the wrong section.

Thanks, hmm, so I guess some loss of benefits. Like government assistances and other privileges of a citizen of China.

Maybe then I guess if we plan to live in China full time it would be best for her to keep her Chinese citizenship.

I wonder though if somehow I can bring her over here for a while maybe some years while we go to school and save ect?

I also wonder if it would be hard for me to get a Chinese citizenship? Or if hers is enough. I am pretty sure I can still retain my US citizenship at the same time of having a Chinese citizenship.

By the way sorry for posting in the wrong section.

If you plan on living in China it is best to keep her citizenship. You becoming a Chinese citizen is almost impossible if not impossible now. If you are extremely wealthy and are going to invest you money in China in some way it may be possible.

Larry

Weigh your options, one is US Social Security, and Estate Tax benefits.

Here is a list I found:

1. A Citizen Can Vote
    A citizen has the right to vote for elected officials at the federal, state and local levels who shape the policy of the government.
  2. Dual Citizenship (Currently N/A with China)
    Certain countries, including Ireland and the United Kingdom, recognize "dual citizenship" permitting naturalized U.S. citizens to maintain their citizenship of birth and original passport.
  3. Citizens Can Bring More Relatives From Abroad, More Quickly
    Citizens can petition for a wider variety of family members to come to the US as permanent residents. They also have much shorter waiting times for green cards, and no limits.
  4. Citizens Cannot be Deported
    Most of us never expect to commit a crime, but if we are the victims of circumstance, in the wrong place at the wrong time, as citizens, we cannot be deported. We also don't need to worry about a lost green card or too-long stay outside the US preventing us from re-entering.

5. Citizens Can Retire Abroad With Full Social Security Benefits
    Citizens who retire abroad get all their Social Security benefits. Green card holders only get half of the benefits they earned.
  6. Citizens are Entitled to More Public Benefits
    Citizens are eligible for more public benefits, including Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Food Stamps, as well as certain academic scholarships and financial aid.
  7. A US Citizen Can Hold Office and Have More Job Opportunities
    Only a citizen has the right to hold an elected position in most city, state or federal offices. Many federal, state and city jobs also require citizenship.
  8. Adopted or Natural Children Under 18 May be Naturalized Automatically
    Depending on the circumstances, children born abroad, who are under 18 years of age and unmarried may be able to naturalize automatically when a parent does so.

9. Citizens Have More Financial and Tax Benefits
    Citizens often receive approval on loans andmortgages more easily, and/or they get better rates, because the lender knows there is less chance they will defect. Citizens are often subject to fewer restrictions on estate taxes as well.
  10. Citizens Don't Have to Worry About Renewing a Green Card Every 10 Years
    We have enough to worry about with passports and other paperwork. As citizens, we don't have to worry about renewing a green cards every ten years.

http://immigration.about.com/od/whybecomea...0CitizenBen.htm

In general, the U.S. gift tax and estate tax laws permit unlimited tax-free transfers of property between spouses if the transferee spouse (i.e., the spouse receiving property) is a U.S. citizen. This "marital deduction" often is said to reflect the view that a husband and wife represent a single economic unit, and only transfers from that unit to third parties (e.g., children) should be subject to gift and estate tax. But the marital deduction is not allowed if the transferee spouse is not a U.S. citizen even if the non-citizen spouse is a permanent resident of the United States.
http://www.ncestateplanningblog.com/2007/0...itizen-spouses/

If you plan on retiring in China it may still be better for her to be a US citizen. As a green card holder she needs to return to the US for a significant period of time at least once a year or she will be considered to have abandoned her LPR status. Since you as a US citizen will have to make a trip out of China and re-enter every 60 days or so anyway your wife may as well accompany you.

Ying became a US citizen for a few reasons, onw was because she does not like the Chinese government, she also feels it is more conveinent because she does not have to go back to the US every year to keep her green card active, but we can also go to many countries in Europe, Central and South America, Canada, Japan, Korea and Thailand without a visa. Since we would have to leave the country a quick trip to Japan and Korea works out nice.

Why is it so hard to become a Chinese citizen? It seems all one needs to become a US citizen is to marry in. I wonder why it is not the same. I mean it would seem more desirable to be in the US so I would think it the other way around. I also wonder by wealthy what you mean. Paying large sums of money or being a professional and being able to add to the well being of the country or something. ?

So, if I brought her to the US on a fiancee visa and married her. How does it all work out if you don't change her status to a US citizen? Does she have to take trips back to China ever so often or does she have to file for a green card. Then the question is how does the green card thing work?

So, if I brought her to the US on a fiancee visa and married her. How does it all work out if you don't change her status to a US citizen? Does she have to take trips back to China ever so often or does she have to file for a green card. Then the question is how does the green card thing work?

K-1 visa is for marriage in the USA, you then have TWO options;
  1. File and I-485 to adjust status to IMMIGRANT and get a green-card allowing permanent residency in the USA, (NOTE: this is NOT US Citizenship)
  2. OR return home when I-94 card expires to avoid an overstay and then later file for a SPOUSAL visa to eventually return to the USA. (Results in a green-card)

A person can only live permanently in the USA "Legally" as a green-card holder (Lawful Permanent Resident), or as a US Citizen. An LPR can become a citizen after 3 or 5 years of LPR status, and only if they apply to become a US Citizen, it is NOT automatic.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

If you plan on retiring in China it may still be better for her to be a US citizen. As a green card holder she needs to return to the US for a significant period of time at least once a year or she will be considered to have abandoned her LPR status. Since you as a US citizen will have to make a trip out of China and re-enter every 60 days or so anyway your wife may as well accompany you.

The visas for spouses of Chinese citizens are currently for 2 years, unlimited entries, and 90 day stays (you only need to leave the country and come back, not necessarily to the US).

From the local authorities (PSB), you may be able to extend your stay for up to a year. Then, after 5 years, get a residence permit.

Why is it so hard to become a Chinese citizen? It seems all one needs to become a US citizen is to marry in. I wonder why it is not the same. I mean it would seem more desirable to be in the US so I would think it the other way around. I also wonder by wealthy what you mean. Paying large sums of money or being a professional and being able to add to the well being of the country or something. ?

I am 99.9% certain you cannot become a citizen of the People's Republic of China through marriage. You can apply for permanent residency in China through marriage, although I *believe* the laws say you have to be married for 5 years before the Chinese government grants you PR. If that's the case, then it would certainly be faster and easier for you to get PR via employment in China.

Why does is the Chinese government reluctant to take citizens? Simply because they already have too many to start with! Typically countries with declining birth rates will be more open to immigration or foreign workers. China does not need to worry about birth rates. That's why they have a one-child policy. Even if Beijing starts to have concerns of birth rates, they can just relax the policy to two kids - which is what happened. In 2009, there was a law passed in China on the national level where if neither the father nor mother have any siblings (read: if they were products of the one-child policy), then they are allowed to have 2 children. For the majority of Chinese, this is true and will allow them to have 2 kids. If either or both the father or mother do have siblings, they would have come from a wealthy family - and therefore do not need to abide by the law anyways, since these families can just buy their way into having "additional" children. This law was passed on the national level but it has yet to take effect with local authorities (i.e. provincial level).

China isn't the only government reluctant to take citizens. Japan has traditionally been a great exporter of its citizens (especially to Brazil). Of course, Japan's concern is not birth rate, but rather its government is worried about land scarcity on the island. That's also why if you marry a Japanese, you don't get Japanese citizenship either.