Bring Parents to Live in USA

Hey folks...been a while since I visited.

Yaya wants to bring her parents to the USA to live with us. What paperwork do we need to file (I-130 and what else)? And, can we even file it? I see on the I-130 it mentions a US cutizen bringing parents over. She only has her perm res card. Can a US Citizen (me) apply for her parents or does she need to go thru the process to be come a citizen 1st (If so, what are the steps for that)? I am sure there have been posts on this in the past...but my search skills have not dug them out. Any help is appeciated.

In order for her to bring her parents here she will first have to become a naturalized citizen. She can apply for citizenship 3 years minus 90 days from the issue date of her green card as long as she is still married to you. There is a lot of information on becoming a US citizen here.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showforum=37

Once she is a US citizen and files the wait is relatively short. One member succeeded in bringing his wife's parents here in about 6 months. Unlike an unmarried son or daughter over 21 there is no quota for visas to briing parents.

A US Citizen CANNOT file an I-130 for IN-Laws.

Your wife will first have to become a US Citizen through Naturalization before she can file I-130s for her parents.

Who May Not File This Form I-130?

8. A grandparent, grandchild, nephew, niece, uncle, aunt, cousin, or in-law.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf

In order for her to bring her parents here she will first have to become a naturalized citizen. She can apply for citizenship 3 years minus 90 days from the issue date of her green card as long as she is still married to you. There is a lot of information on becoming a US citizen here.

Once she is a US citizen and files the wait is relatively short. One member succeeded in bringing his wife's parents here in about 6 months. Unlike an unmarried son or daughter over 21 there is no quota for visas to briing parents.

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Well, one more answer to her question "What to I get for becoming a Citizen other than Social Security and voting?". LOL...she could care less about voting.

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Well, one more answer to her question "What to I get for becoming a Citizen other than Social Security and voting?". LOL...she could care less about voting.

The benefits of US citizenship are numerous. Many United States citizens find it advantageous to use their U.S. passport when traveling abroad, as it is welcome in many parts of the world. Green card holders, on the other hand, must travel on their native passport. There are certain restrictions that green card holders must be aware of when traveling abroad for longer periods of time. Several countries allow dual citizenship including the United States.

Learn the Top 10 Reasons to become a United States citizen.

United States citizens also have the ability to sponsor relatives for U.S. immigration benefits, including visas and Green Cards. In addition, US citizens are also eligible to apply for governmental jobs as many government contracts and jobs require the applicant to be a United States citizen. Download the United States Citizenship Application to learn more.

Only United States citizens can obtain a U.S. passport.

U.S. citizens can reside abroad for longer periods of time, while green card holders may have their permanent resident status revoked.

Green cards must be renewed every 10 years for a fee (currently $370), while citizenship does not expire or need to be renewed.

Many countries have waived visa requirements for U.S. passport holders, while green card holders with native passports may have to apply for visas in advance.

U.S. citizens are eligible to receive additional services and assistance from U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad.

U.S. citizens do not have to carry proof of citizenship, while green card holders must always be able to prove their legal status in the United States by carrying a valid green card. ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) has detained permanent residents who did not have their green cards with them.

U.S. citizens have the right to vote in the United States.

U.S. citizens have the right to sponsor relatives and family members so they can immigrate to the United States.

United States citizens cannot be deported, while green card holders may be deported in certain cases, such as being convicted of a crime.

U.S. citizens have the right to run for public office.

Finally, there are intangible benefits of US Citizenship. Many Green Card holders feel that they would like to make the United States their permanent home. Therefore, there is a psychological benefit to being a United States citizen, and being on equal footing with one's peers.

AH,Good question,i know i've asked this question a zillion times,not only is my search skills bad,so is my memory.

My wife wants to bring her daughter over,so she will have to wait until she becomes a citizen,(daughter is 22 yrs old).How long would this take to get her daughter over here.(generally speaking of course).

jimi

AH,Good question,i know i've asked this question a zillion times,not only is my search skills bad,so is my memory.

My wife wants to bring her daughter over,so she will have to wait until she becomes a citizen,(daughter is 22 yrs old).How long would this take to get her daughter over here.(generally speaking of course).

jimi

She can file an I-130 shortly after getting green-card.

Who May File Form I-130?

2. If you are a lawful permanent resident of United States, you may file this form for:

A. Your husband or wife;

B. Your unmarried child under age 21; (Class F-2A)

C. Your unmarried son or daughter age 21 or older. (Class F-2B)

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf

Note: UNMARRIED, if child's status changes while I-130 is being processed, the petition is considered to be void, if parent is still an LPR.

If parent's status changes from LPR to US Citizen then report this to USCIS or NVC to step up the petition's priority (To F-1), If child marries after parent becomes US Citizen, then report this, to change the petition to Married Child of US Citizen, this will change petition priority (To F-3).

Current processing estimates are here:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin...letin_1360.html

Priority CLASS explained:

Class F-1 Unmarried Child of US Citizen

Class F-2B Unmarried Child 21 or older of LPR

Class F-3 Married Child of US Citizen

Currently:

F-1 Petitions file January 2004 (Or 5 YEARS)

F-2B Petitions filed November 2001 (Or 8 Years)

F-3 Petitions filed May 2001 (Or 8.5 Years)

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)