China's one child policy

Guest Tony n Terrific

We are the "entitled people"???????? Not all Americans have "Big houses, big cars, big TV's. Nor do we all have it the waty we want it.

Just wondering what your motives were for this statment???

I'm just blowing off steam about American attitudes I guess, and of course they are generalizations.

I think if you compare the average living space of an American and Chinese citizen, ours is substantially bigger and we take it for granted. Look at all the junk we can stow away in our garages.

In Africa I've travel in the back of a pickup with 22 other people. Typically in third world countries you don't see trucks travel unless they are fully loaded down, otherwise its just wasting gas. I don't know about your neck of the woods but here in California most pickups I see are empty. Guys buy them so they can strut around.

We have been the world's designated hyper-consumers driving other economies. Its only last year that reality began to strike. Somehow we assumed that we could keep using those credit cards to keep accumulating all those things like big TVs.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

".......We are the "entitled people"???????? Not all Americans have "Big houses, big cars, big TV's. Nor do we all have it the waty we want it. Just wondering what your motives were for this statment???"

"...China and India as economic powers are often mentioned in the same sentence, but the living conditions for the average person are very different. China does not have the poverty, filth and beggars that you see in India. I think India gave up on population control ever since they tried to exchange radios for sterilization jobs...."

--------------------------

Before we come down hard on Ovahimba..... step back for a moment and remember that we have all been to China..

Do we really think that Americans aren't entitled compared to the rest of the world? Our 'poverty' line: ----- comforts of heated apartments (paid for by the state) h&c water (clean enough to drink)---shower & bath on demand, all the food you can eat-----(food stamps)---so much so that you and your children get fat----(and Liberals call it a 'hunger' problem) ... free breakfast and lunch for your kids at school----------and their education----(k-12) is FREE TOO ~!

~ Also free health care--- (sure, there IS a long wait at the emergency room)---

Probably also own a car, certainly color TV, (cable) and cell-phone... all under the "poverty line" in America... you don't call that "entitled" ??

~ I do.

But to get back to Ovahimba's point---- India vs. China.

YOUR CHOICE: You can be born into poverty in Authoritarian China: say, Guangzhou or Shanghai-----

------or Democratic India---- Bombay or Calcutta ------------

----------YOUR CHOICE ~! ....pick a country and a city... just remember: your choice is your life choice..

Urbanization and a high cost of living while wanting to be upwardly mobile seems to be a bigger factor in number of children. Taiwan is now the lowest birth rate in the world with 1 child per woman without a one child policy. Persuing personal goals (among child bearing women) and cost to achieve them seems to determine the modern young woman's child bearing quantity. In the age of women's rights many see no reason to marry or if they do they will wait until much older to have a child.

The biggest problem is that a shrinking growth rate of the population puts us baby boomers retirement funds at risk. Retirement fund???? Heck it puts ever retiring at risk. :o