information check

i sent the employment information to my wife for her interview, but now i do not have a job. will the VO check my information on the spot since i did not include it when i filed. i am afraid that a background check will be done before the interview and it might show up that i am currently unemployed.

I am not for sure but I would guess that they would not know that. A back ground check would rarly uncover that you just lost your job...IMO.

If you were employed at the time you filled out and signed the I-134 (K-3) or I-864 (Sent to NVC for CR-1), then that was the picture.

However, if the VO asks your wife about your current employment, she SHOULD NOT LIE! You never know what they know.

I would have a joint-sponsor lined up and and providing an affidavit of support and have it at the interview just in case.

I agree with others who say that you should not lie about it if asked, and that you might want to prepare a co-sponsor just in case.

In my opinion, you not having a job will not really jeopardize your chances in GUZ, but your financial status may come into question when it comes to proving your wife will not become a public charge. That would be the main concern going into your interview.

If I understand you correctly your wife doesn't know you are currently unemployed? Bad way to start off a marriage concealing something so important. Many Chinese have an unrealistic view of what life is like in the US as it is. I strongly believe that your sweet heart has the right to see as clearly as possible every aspect of your financial situation. Before my wife came here I laid everything out. How much money coming in and how much going out. How much things cost etc. I've seen too many instances where men have deceived women about their financial situation only to come here and find themselves in poverty.

If I understand you correctly your wife doesn't know you are currently unemployed? Bad way to start off a marriage concealing something so important. Many Chinese have an unrealistic view of what life is like in the US as it is. I strongly believe that your sweet heart has the right to see as clearly as possible every aspect of your financial situation. Before my wife came here I laid everything out. How much money coming in and how much going out. How much things cost etc. I've seen too many instances where men have deceived women about their financial situation only to come here and find themselves in poverty.

I agree with Warpedboard. It's the right thing to do to let your sweetheart know what she is walking into before she reaches the door. And, if the ConOff DOES find out about you not having a job and he/she asks your wife about it and she gives them the wrong answer, it could possibly become more than just a simple hidden fact-it can be misinterpreted and become a misrepresentation in your file. That would screw any future chances for getting a visa.

Don't take that chance.

Edited by splinterman (see edit history)

I agree with Warpedboard. It's the right thing to do to let your sweetheart know what she is walking into before she reaches the door. And, if the ConOff DOES find out about you not having a job and he/she asks your wife about it and she gives them the wrong answer, it could possibly become more than just a simple hidden fact-it can be misinterpreted and become a misrepresentation in your file. That would screw any future chances for getting a visa.

Don't take that chance.

I agree! It is very important to let her know for the reasons outlined above.

Did the OP say they did not send in Tax returns, W2, bank/finance records and the statement that he was currently employed before he lost the job? If not, then this is going to come up no matter what and he'll need a joint sponsor.

In our case I sent the financial support docs in July 2008. Found out I was going to lose my job in Oct 2008. My fiancee's second interview was around December 2008.

They didn't ask if my employment status had changed and we didn't volunteer that information.

The right tactic is always to just answer truthfully whatever is asked, but never volunteer any information, especially if it is a negative.

After getting the K1 visa and entering into the US we got married after 60 days or so.

I was hoping to find a new job before filing for AOS and was really worried about her being granted the 2 year conditional.

I even posted here about joint sponsors and asked family and friends to help me sponsor my wife and was shocked and had several people flat out turn me down in being a joint sponsor. It made me realize if I ever needed a kidney or something I was probably screwed.

To be honest, that was one of the most painful experiences during this entire process and ever now, months later I'm still pissed when I seriously think about it.

I filed AOS by myself and used unemployment income, current savings, investments, etc., as my backing. We were actually called in for a face to face interview, but the lady said we looked fine and we passed AOS without a joint sponsor.

I do agree with the others. You really don't want your fiancee to come here and realize you are out of work and didn't tell her.

In fact, you're far better off telling her and seeing if she is supportive or has a fit. My wife knew a long, long time ago when I first suspected I may lose my job, so she knew what to expect.

Did the OP say they did not send in Tax returns, W2, bank/finance records and the statement that he was currently employed before he lost the job? If not, then this is going to come up no matter what and he'll need a joint sponsor.

In our case I sent the financial support docs in July 2008. Found out I was going to lose my job in Oct 2008. My fiancee's second interview was around December 2008.

They didn't ask if my employment status had changed and we didn't volunteer that information.

The right tactic is always to just answer truthfully whatever is asked, but never volunteer any information, especially if it is a negative.

After getting the K1 visa and entering into the US we got married after 60 days or so.

I was hoping to find a new job before filing for AOS and was really worried about her being granted the 2 year conditional.

I even posted here about joint sponsors and asked family and friends to help me sponsor my wife and was shocked and had several people flat out turn me down in being a joint sponsor. It made me realize if I ever needed a kidney or something I was probably screwed.

To be honest, that was one of the most painful experiences during this entire process and ever now, months later I'm still pissed when I seriously think about it.

I filed AOS by myself and used unemployment income, current savings, investments, etc., as my backing. We were actually called in for a face to face interview, but the lady said we looked fine and we passed AOS without a joint sponsor.

I do agree with the others. You really don't want your fiancee to come here and realize you are out of work and didn't tell her.

In fact, you're far better off telling her and seeing if she is supportive or has a fit. My wife knew a long, long time ago when I first suspected I may lose my job, so she knew what to expect.

Very sage advice!!

This is the first I've really set down and read this thread and this:

is exactly what I first thought of. Now, I suspect that the officer might not interpret it as your fiancee trying to pull a fast one over them, but it could (which in my opinion is more probable) give insight to your lack of communication between the two of you. They may feel, if you can't talk about employment/financial issues with your soon-to-be wife, then how close can you guys actually be? I'm not doubting your intentions or your relationship, I just throwing this out there.

Also, you said that you don't want to add the extra pressure at this point. I can understand that mentality but - will there be added pressure when she gets to the States and realizes that there isn't a stable flow of income coming in (assuming you can't find a job before she gets there)?

Families go through hard times, the good thing about family though is the ability to communicate without feeling threatened (in other words: trust) - and the support system to persevere.

I, like warpedboard, laid out my complete financial situation to my wife before we got married. I think he gave pretty good advice - moving cultures is a tough cookie to swallow - I'm speaking from experience. Anything you can do to get rid of extra surprises beforehand will be a huge plus for the both of you when she does reach the States.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)