10 best countries of Expats

N&J

this is great, thanks for posting. Here is a link to the survey itself and some more info.

http://www.offshore.hsbc.com/1/2/expatsurvey

I'd like to see how the survey was done -- i.e., what were the categories used? It would be interesting to see the categories, make a priority list for myself, then see which countries line up best with my priorities.

Thanks for posting this; very informative. I have lived for extended periods of time in:

China (five years)

South Korea (one year)

Thailand (10 months)

Bulgaria (15 months)

Ireland (nine months)

From my personal standpoint, each place had plus factors and minus factors, except perhaps Bulgaria, which didn't have any plus factors that I can recall. <_< ;)

By far and away my most positive experience was China. Perhaps that was because I lived there so long, had a Chinese wife to help with the language and negotiating the culture. Korea was very pleasant for me as well, except the winter was quite brutal.

Are the EXPATS all western in this survey ?

Dammit I hate it when you reveal my own ethnocentricity! :lol:

I quick perusal of the report doesn't say exactly where folks were from and the breakdown of country of origin, but it said this:

"Individuals from four continents described the opportunities and challenges they experience living away from home. The survey provides an insight into how expat life differs from country to country, continent to continent and from an expats¡¯ country of origin."

Are the EXPATS all western in this survey ?

"Individuals from four continents described the opportunities and challenges they experience living away from home."

Brits, Yanks, and Aussies could make up 3 of those 4 continents!

:rolleyes:

There are 2 reports out there. I was a little confused for a while because I had read the other about a week ago.

Each report paints a different picture and ranks countries differently. For instance, Canada ranks 21st in the first and 1st in the second one. The first looks at the end result. Some countries have a lot of retirees or imported cheap labor, which may not have a high income. Some, like Hong Kong, might have a lot of highly paid expats. The first seems to compare how relatively well off the expats are, whereas the second looks at how well you can live there. Both are very interesting.

http://www.offshore.hsbc.com/1/2/internati...ics-report-2009

http://www.offshore.hsbc.com/1/2/internati...nce-report-2009

Its HSBC, after all... (originally: Hong Kong Shanghai Bank of Commerce) London based, but with a recent return of emphasis to HK...

Expat would, by definition here, be a westerner who looks very much like the Brit, in HK who is off the horse races at Happy Valley (not the cricket fights in the back alleys of Shanghai) ....and won't be giving you the time of day---even if you do happen to be White.

Well healed, with plenty of money.....