HELP !!!! Marriage License

Hello my fellow CFL members,

I recently brought my fiance here to the US under a K-1 visa and now after she has time to adjust to being here in the great state of Indiana, we decided it's time to get married. I really didn't think there would be a problem obtaining a license here, but boy was I WRONG !! It appears that Indiana law requires each applicant to prove residency. :surprise: :bangin: OK now I'm really confused. How do you show proof of residency for someone who never resided in the US.

Well here is what they told me at the county clerks office..... I need to produce an identification card showing with fiance's picture and address on it. It has to be issued from the Chinese government. OK So we have that and went back to the clerks office and now they are saying it has to be translated to english and notarized. :) Where the :censor: do they get these people who work for the government ?

So I asked the clerk to show me where it states in the Indiana marriage law, that a K-1 Visa holder needs to show proof of residency before they can obtain a marriage license ? She could not tell me where it states this nor could she direct me to where I could find it. So now I turn to where I have always gotten reliable information throughout this whole process. To the wonderful people here at CFL.

Has anyone here been married in Indiana ? If so, What if any documentation did you need to obtain your marriage license ? As always, any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Caixia&Randy R

Edited by CaixiaRandyR (see edit history)

Chinese passport is also ID, and the BIO page IS in English, use this.

Also some states require SSN, this it the main reason a K-1 holder can get a SSN shortly after arriving in the USA.

However a person is NOT a "Resident" until they get green-card.

The clerk is Wrong.

Residency Requirements

What are the residency requirements for Indiana?

If both partners are residents you may obtain your license from a Town Clerk of your residence. If only one of you is a resident go to the Town Clerk of that resident. In either circumstance, your license will be valid statewide. If neither partner are residents you must apply for your license in the county where the marriage will take place.

http://www.weddingvendors.com/marriage-lic...states/indiana/

More:

IC 31-11-4-3

County of residence or solemnization; place to obtain license

Sec. 3. Individuals who intend to marry must obtain a marriage license from the clerk of the circuit court of the county of residence of either of the individuals. If neither of the individuals who intends to marry is a resident of Indiana, the individuals must obtain the marriage license from the clerk of the circuit court of the county in which the marriage is to be solemnized.

As added by P.L.1-1997, SEC.3.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code//title31/ar11/ch4.html (THIS IS FROM THE STATE OF IN.)

The law say EITHER, that means ONE person is a resident the other can be a NON-Resident, you apply at the clerks office of your residence. EVEN if both parties are NON-Resident, they can apply for a license in Indiana they would apply at the clerks office in the area they will marry.

I would print out the above linked page, and have a talk with a supervisor.

And Chinese passport and birth cert should be fine to apply for the license.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Thanks dnoblett for the quick reply. Unfortunately I pointed this out to the clerk, who still insisted that I have her ID translated and notarized. She even called out her supervisor who reiterated the same thing. I'm really disappointed with my county government and their lack of knowledge concerning K-1 visa holders.

Hello my fellow CFL members,

I recently brought my fiance here to the US under a K-1 visa and now after she has time to adjust to being here in the great state of Indiana, we decided it's time to get married. I really didn't think there would be a problem obtaining a license here, but boy was I WRONG !! It appears that Indiana law requires each applicant to prove residency. OK now I'm really confused. How do you show proof of residency for someone who never resided in the US.

Well here is what they told me at the county clerks office..... I need to produce an identification card showing with fiance's picture and address on it. It has to be issued from the Chinese government. OK So we have that and went back to the clerks office and now they are saying it has to be translated to english and notarized. Where the do they get these people who work for the government ?

So I asked the clerk to show me where it states in the Indiana marriage law, that a K-1 Visa holder needs to show proof of residency before they can obtain a marriage license ? She could not tell me where it states this nor could she direct me to where I could find it. So now I turn to where I have always gotten reliable information throughout this whole process. To the wonderful people here at CFL.

Has anyone here been married in Indiana ? If so, What if any documentation did you need to obtain your marriage license ? As always, any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Caixia&Randy R

Also have her sign in english her name (yan printed it) next to her chinese signature. This is on the back page. If you need to have it translated google the nearest large city and write chinese and translation. Yan needed her diploma translated and a university provided this service. $25 or so. Wait until you apply for SS number. Just go to the large city . Yan and I went to a small office and they were clueless . Yes I will throw this out Someday when we have nationalized health care. See what they deny you for. A government clerk that is just waiting for the next coffee break making a decision on your health. " Sorry that is not on the list".

Chinese passport is also ID, and the BIO page IS in English, use this.

Also some states require SSN, this it the main reason a K-1 holder can get a SSN shortly after arriving in the USA.

However a person is NOT a "Resident" until they get green-card.

The clerk is Wrong.

Residency Requirements

What are the residency requirements for Indiana?

If both partners are residents you may obtain your license from a Town Clerk of your residence. If only one of you is a resident go to the Town Clerk of that resident. In either circumstance, your license will be valid statewide. If neither partner are residents you must apply for your license in the county where the marriage will take place.

http://www.weddingvendors.com/marriage-lic...states/indiana/

A person is a "resident" of wherever they live. THAT is the interpretation used for the purpose of marriage licenses. Green cards represent Legal Permanent Residents - not required for marriage.

They are BOTH residents of Indiana, since they live there.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Note Stateside has to do with living in the USA and events in the USA, like Middle Kingdom forum.

You topic is an adjustment of status / Immigrations Challenge issue.

I agree with some of the others...y'all will have a ball in Vegas or Reno. And it's only a days drive to Georgia they'll marry you in 10 minutes wearing skivies if you want. :blink:

Procedure in Vegas.

1. Visit Clark County clerks office to apply for license.
  2. Visit one of the hundreds of chapels in LV and get married.
  3. HAND CARRY the executed license back to the clerk's office.
  4. Walk out with marriage cert IN-HAND.
  5. Enjoy honeymoon!

http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/depts/cle...nformation.aspx

I think this is a case of incompetent BS government. We got married in Indiana and I am 99% confident that all we had to provide was her passport and birth certificate. I am certain there was no requirement such as what you are being told.