dry cleaning in China

Hi folks,

In most Chinese cities, is dry cleaning readily available, and if so, what is the cost? I'm considering buying a wool shawl for my GF but it has to be dry-cleaned and I'm concerned about burdening her with the cost of cleaning.

She lives in Yingkou (in Liaoning in the northeast), and is retired on a small pension, so she's not used to having or spending a lot of money.

I want this gift to be something she enjoys and wears; I don't want her to decide not to wear it because it costs too much to clean. :unsure:

Thanks for any help you can give.

I don't know the city you're talking about, but I know the province. Yes, dry cleaning shops are readily available, it's not overly expensive, but it's not always dirt cheap either - Keep in mind Jingjing and I have been living together in China for over five years and we've long since quit "head converting" from RMB to USD.

From a Wuhan point-of-view, articles of clothing will usually cost around 20-30 RMB each. We both feel that you could pretty much get any article of basic clothing done for under 100 RMB.

A woolen shawl will be more expensive than regular clothing but since we've never cleaned one before we cannot give you an exact price. Jingjing thinks maybe 100-200 RMB.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Despite the instructions, you can wash wool in cold water and it will do just fine. After washing and rinsing lay it down on a big fluffy towel and then roll it up in the towel and squeeze to get the water out. Use another towel and let it dry flat. It will not shrink without being exposed to either hot water or a dryer.

FYI, you should be careful, sometimes dry cleaning in China a hit and miss proposition. Several times, when I asked and paid for dry cleaning what I got was nothing more then regular washing and it ruined my clothes. I have several long sleeve shirts which are almost short sleeves now, thanks to being washed in water and not dry cleaned as I asked and paid for.

FYI, you should be careful, sometimes dry cleaning in China a hit and miss proposition. Several times, when I asked and paid for dry cleaning what I got was nothing more then regular washing and it ruined my clothes. I have several long sleeve shirts which are almost short sleeves now, thanks to being washed in water and not dry cleaned as I asked and paid for.

This is very true....same experience here with a sport coat ... it was too little even for 6 yr old chinese boy when they finished with it :dunno:

I hate to say it, since it comes with a premium price---but if you want dry cleaning in China, and are new to a city (on business) stick to a the services of a 4+ star western hotel.

In my time in Guangzhou have always been disappointed trying to get it done on my own. And if anyone here knows good cleaning, starching and pressing----plus dry cleaning service in Guangzhou, hope you will post it !