Has anyone used SKYPE? Is it really so cheap and so good? It says it costs less than $5 a month and you can make unlimited calls in the U.S.?

How can it be? I have been using Verizon for my landland service and it costs me at lease $20 a month even I make very few calls.

Thanks

Works great for us, we use it to call China at 2cents per min, we pay by pay-pal $25 are a time, this tends to last us for months.

I bought a WIFI phone to use on our home wireless network.

I used Skype to communicate with my wife in China, and used it to call home from China.

Works great for us, we use it to call China at 2cents per min, we pay by pay-pal $25 are a time, this tends to last us for months.

I used Skype to communicate with my wife in China, and used it to call home from China.

What if you use SKYPE to call a landline or a cell phone in the U.S.? Does it only cost a few dollars a month, even you make lots of calls?

What if you use SKYPE to call a landline or a cell phone in the U.S.? Does it only cost a few dollars a month, even you make lots of calls?

2 cents per min to call landlines and phones in the USA.

http://www.skype.com/getconnected/

We use "pay as you go" but if you do a lot of yapping on the phone then the monthly unlimited may be your option.

I think we paid 20 bucks for the whole year (we bought a subscription). Unlimited calls, landline/mobile to the US. It's been great for us since we live in China.

Yes, it really is that inexpensive. With $10/month option you can make unlimited calls to landlines or cell phones in almost every country including China. For about $60 year (actually I think the price is lower now) you can subscribe and obtain a phone number where any other cell phone or land line can call you.

Ironically, we find better call quality to Ba and Ma in China than to Dad and Mom here in the states.

This is what we use in China.

http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/subscriptions/uscanada/

I got it even cheaper than this though - they were running a promotion a few years ago during the summer. Your renewal price is always the same as your initial purchase price.

I have several college buddies that I call, land and mobile, and never have been charged a dime, other than the subscription fee of 25 bucks or so. (you will pay for your subscription in full, rather than month-by-month)

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Nope. It allows you to. Make sure the on screen dial pad is showing and click it.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

I just installed SKYPE. But if I call US 1-800 numbers, I can not use SKYPE to navigate through the menus, right? I mean, SKYPE does not allow me to dial 1 or 2 or 3 to choose a menu, after I dialed the 800 number.

The software generates DTMF tones, you need to use the screen-keypad like Kyle said.

We have used Skype to call into conference calls where you need to dial access numbers after making the connection.

Nope. It allows you to. Make sure the on screen dial pad is showing and click it.

You are absolutely right, Kyle! There is a tiny dial pad hidden on the side. I just have to click and enlarge it. And there is no charge for the 800 toll free number, just like a regular phone. It's great. Thanks a lot for the info. :P

Hi All,

While I was recently deployed to Turkey, I used the free version of Skype to video chat with my wife and son. It was great considering the price! There was some video freezing, but the audio was always flawless.

A friend deployed with me, used the pay version of Skype (2 cents per minute) to call friends and family, and he had no problems whatsoever.

I used Onesuite.com, and had to use the DSN (military long distance) to first access a U.S. number so I could use the Onesuite access number to call friends and family on landlines and cellphones for about the same 2 cents per minute.

Both services use voice over internet protocol, and both worked about the same. But with internet access, Skype was more convenient, and I'd recommend them.

Best Wishes