Doesnt have to be from GZ. Can be from anywhere in China or HK. I am not sure about transiting through other countries but definitely avoid connection flight in Canada unless you apply for transit visit for Canada. got burned on this to the tune of $800 last spring.

Obviously, it would be best for direct flight from China/HK to USA. Good luck.

Doesnt have to be from GZ. Can be from anywhere in China or HK. I am not sure about transiting through other countries but definitely avoid connection flight in Canada unless you apply for transit visit for Canada. got burned on this to the tune of $800 last spring.

Obviously, it would be best for direct flight from China/HK to USA. Good luck.

Thanks,

That makes since. :D

The flight I looked at was pretty expensive though - more of the high end side of the fares. Most of the tickets I looked at came through Chicago

We flew United from Beijing to Chicago, however can be flights out of Shanghai, Hong Kong, even conecting through Tokyo as long as you dont leave the airport.

We flew United from Beijing to Chicago, however can be flights out of Shanghai, Hong Kong, even conecting through Tokyo as long as you dont leave the airport.

I do like the idea coming out of Beijing to Chicago. I can leave my car at the airport.

When she gets the visa from Guangzhou. Do we have to have a direct flight from Guangzhou to America? I heard from someone you do. We do plan on coming back to America when she gets her visa.

Others have already given some good advice, but in answer to your original question:

China Southern flies direct from GZ to LAX. You may have to call them, as last time I checked you couldn't find it on their web site (it's been a while so maybe different now).

I do like the idea coming out of Beijing to Chicago. I can leave my car at the airport.

If you have a friend that lives in the Chicago area, you may even park the car at their home.

Or you could investigate off-airport parking: http://www.avistarparking.com/fasttrack/Ch...Airport-Parking

Chicago is the nearest POE airport to Oshkosh Wisconsin taking direct flights from China. Or you can simply connect in Chicago and use a commuter flight from there to Oshkosh or Green-Bay.

Would be cautious of commuter flights if you are bringing maxed out luggage. Some of the small commuter flights have really strict baggage allowances.

Would definitly fly direct into Chicago and make the drive since you will most likely have more luggage then normal.

Thank You all you have been very helpful. Chicago seems to be the best thing to do. I have some friends that live there. Should work out great. Are there some airlines in China that are good to use for flying from Guangzhou to Beijing?

Would be cautious of commuter flights if you are bringing maxed out luggage. Some of the small commuter flights have really strict baggage allowances.

Would definitly fly direct into Chicago and make the drive since you will most likely have more luggage then normal.

Thank You all you have been very helpful. Chicago seems to be the best thing to do. I have some friends that live there. Should work out great. Are there some airlines in China that are good to use for flying from Guangzhou to Beijing?

My fiancee is flying Air China from Guangzhou to Bejing to JFK. We used a website called elong.com to make the reservation.

Would definitely fly direct into Chicago and make the drive since you will most likely have more luggage then normal.

China Southern.

Another option, I beleive United also has a direct from Hong Kong to Chicago (United 896), she would be allowed entry to HK without a permit is shows a flight is booked for within 7 days of entry to HK. Hong Kong is not far from Guangzhou.

I just booked flights for China-US (Wisconsin, too!)

My flight is

Guangzhou-Shanghai-Chicago-La Crosse, WI

through American Airlines/China Eastern Airlines which was the cheapest flight this year when I checked, but usually my flight was stopping in Tokyo and Minneapolis (Northwest/Japan airline-can't remember name), rather than Shanghai and Chicago. If I had noticed the 8 hour layover in Shanghai on the flight back I would have spent the extra $1-200 and got my usual Tokyo/Minneapolis flight instead.

I live like 4 miles from the La Crosse airport so I just need a taxi and have no parking fees.

I had checked the prices by going to an airline directly, but what they do then is for your flight they will use only their planes for the entire trip. So rather than for example going Delta-Delta-China airlines, they would go Delta-Delta-Delta. If I had done Delta the entire way I would have had a stop in Amsterdam before China and paid more than double than what I did spend ($2200+ per person vs. less than $1000 per person).

Cheapest flights I found are typically leaving on a Tuesday and returning on a Monday.

Now for a little story which has an important message......check the date very carefully!

I usually order my tickets off the internet through places such as orbitz, travelocity, sidestep, etc. and that was all fine when it was just myself. But this time since I was bringing two people back with me (my SO and her daughter), I was paranoid when I went to buy my round trip ticket that I would be buying the last ticket on the plane for the trip back so there would be none left for the two one-way tickets I needed to buy. (and 4 one-ways would have been $6-800+ more expensive than 1 round trip, 2 one way).

So I called a 1-800 number for the website and they had someone I could speak to that would do the reservations for me (charging a small fee), which I thought would be better since he would be able to see how many tickets were left so he would make sure we were all on the same planes.

He understood what I wanted, got us seats next to each other, and repeated the flight details a dozen times ("returning on the 7th", the flight numbers, departure times, etc.), and the call took 48 minutes...annoying!. I confirmed the order. Got home and checked my emails and looked over the flights. Couple days later I checked them again to confirm the times so I could tell my SO the correct times and that's when I noticed it.....

Flight numbers, departure times, etc. were identical except.....the MONTH! Though I was returning on December 7th, they had the two one-way tickets coming to the US on November 7th!

So I called the internet company and they said they would first have to check if the airline would allow changes (they did, thank god). So they could change it...if I paid a $175 fee per ticket ($350). The lady said since I had 'confirmed' the order I had to pay the fee, and it is the airline who charges the fee so that is why the internet company was charging me.

Obviously I was most worried about it getting changed soon (this was a week before November 7th), so I paid the fee but I made it obvious I wasn't happy with it since their guy knew I wanted December 7th since he got us seats next to each other. I wrote an angry email to the website and a two weeks later I got a call informing me they will reverse the charges so I didn't have to pay.

If I had to do it all over again I would simply order them myself off the internet, just avoid grabbing those 'special deals'/'only 4 tickets left!' tickets for fear that their isn't any tickets left for the one-ways I will need to buy after booking the round trip.