Vaccinations and AOS

My fiancee called the hospital in Guangzhou to get the vaccinations done before she comes here.

They told her she needs to have 3 shots first, wait for 6 weeks and get three more and wait another 6 weeks before getting the last shots.

Is this accurate?

The vaccinations have be done before I apply for AOS or can they be done after?

Thanks

Yes this is correct, some of the shots are a multi-shot series given over a period of time.

However, for immigrations you only need to have STARTED them, the med center in Guangzhou will issue a yellow book after the first shots, and the US Civil surgeon will sign off on an I-693 for adjustment.

This is the case for persons geting an IMMIGRANT CR-1 visa too, just the vaccinations need to be started before interviewing for their visa.

Regarding I-693, I just called a civil surgeon office at San Francisco, they said they would transfer the vaccination records to I-693, but they won't transfer the examination part. Does that make sense? Is that OK?

They will charge $85 for transferring only the vaccination. Is that the normal rate?

Regarding I-693, I just called a civil surgeon office at San Francisco, they said they would transfer the vaccination records to I-693, but they won't transfer the examination part. Does that make sense? Is that OK?

They will charge $85 for transferring only the vaccination. Is that the normal rate?

That's correct. The price seems a little steep (we paid only $10), but others have paid more. Weigh the cost against having to look around for a cheaper one.

The exam was done in China for the visa, and was in the Immigrations packet, it is not needed for AOS. Only part 1, and part 2 section 5 need to be done for AOS from a K-Visa if medical for the K-Visa is less than 1 year prior to applying for AOS.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-693.pdf

That's correct. The price seems a little steep (we paid only $10), but others have paid more. Weigh the cost against having to look around for a cheaper one.

But does my wife, back then fiancee, needs to do the examination again in US? The office said that the US goverment will only accept examinations in the US. And I also called a friend, he said he asked an agency here for taking care of all the paperwork, he had to take 3 more shots. Is that correct? I am confused now. The whole idea of my wife, back then fiancee, took the vaccination shots was that she wouldn't have to take them again in US. Please help me to understand this. Thanks!

The exam was done in China for the visa, and was in the Immigrations packet, it is not needed for AOS. Only part 1, and part 2 section 5 need to be done for AOS from a K-Visa if medical for the K-Visa is less than 1 year prior to applying for AOS.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-693.pdf

We don't have the Immigrations packet now, it's with the government right? They should know that examinations are not needed again right? Did the civil surgeon office just gave me erroneous info by saying that the government will only accept examinations done in US?

But does my wife, back then fiancee, needs to do the examination again in US? The office said that the US goverment will only accept examinations in the US. And I also called a friend, he said he asked an agency here for taking care of all the paperwork, he had to take 3 more shots. Is that correct? I am confused now. The whole idea of my wife, back then fiancee, took the vaccination shots was that she wouldn't have to take them again in US. Please help me to understand this. Thanks!

No on all counts - she has had an exam within the year previous to your filing for AOS. She does not need another.

The civil surgeon signs off on the shots, and is supposed to only require the first of a series. He will sign for the ones in her yellow vaccination booklet that she got in China. He may, however, tell you that you need the rest of the series (just not for the I-693)

Yes, your civil surgeon was wrong in claiming that they won't accept the report from China - but it must be less than a year old.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
The civil surgeon signs off on the shots, and is supposed to only require the first of a series. He will sign for the ones in her yellow vaccination booklet that she got in China. He may, however, tell you that you need the rest of the series (just not for the I-693)

And if he does tell my wife to get more shots, does she have to take more shots? We are planning to have babies, so I really don't want her to take any more shots

Yes, your civil surgeon was wrong in claiming that they won't accept the report from China - but it must be less than a year old.

We don't have the report onhand. We gave the report to the immigration officer during POE. Is that OK?

And if he does tell my wife to get more shots, does she have to take more shots? We are planning to have babies, so I really don't want her to take any more shots

We don't have the report onhand. We gave the report to the immigration officer during POE. Is that OK?

YES, the medical report is waiting at USCIS for you to file the AOS.

All we did in our case was get the vaccinations transfered to the I-693 and mailed that along with I-485 when adjusting status, MEDICAL is NOT NEEDED.

The Civil surgeon should sign off on the shots that you did get.

In our case my wife wanted to attend college, and the school required vaccinations record, we simply got her tested for immunity instead og additional shots. You can get titer tests done to satisfy most of the additional shots.

Yes - pregnant women are warned to NOT take the shots, and are granted an exception, if needed.

Even so, the remainder of any series is optional

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes this is correct, some of the shots are a multi-shot series given over a period of time.

However, for immigrations you only need to have STARTED them, the med center in Guangzhou will issue a yellow book after the first shots, and the US Civil surgeon will sign off on an I-693 for adjustment.

This is the case for persons geting an IMMIGRANT CR-1 visa too, just the vaccinations need to be started before interviewing for their visa.

Dan,

You sure about CR1 as well? My wife would only need to get the first of multiple shots in order to pass her vaccination requirement, and then she would receive a yellow booklet from the hospital in China?

But since we're CR1 and not filing for AOS, that means we won't have to file a I-693 anyways. Correct?

My wife just had her IR-1 interview. Before the immigration visa interview, she had to get her vaccinations (just the first round). Dan is correct.

Dan,

You sure about CR1 as well? My wife would only need to get the first of multiple shots in order to pass her vaccination requirement, and then she would receive a yellow booklet from the hospital in China?

But since we're CR1 and not filing for AOS, that means we won't have to file a I-693 anyways. Correct?

CR-1 has the same requirements as everyone else - you MUST fill out the I-693. It is turned in to the consulate BEFORE the visa is awarded.

She's not adjusting status only because there is nothing to adjust FROM - she will enter the country as an LPR (Legal Permanent Resident). The result is the same as someone adjusting status in the US - a green card.

The yellow booklet is simply for international record keeping - it will have a record of whatever shots she has had that might be required for international travel. You may show it to an American physician has proof that she has had the first of a series of shots, for example.