How China Handles "Crime"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I proposed this. And I'm the first guy----on record, who has said here---that this event is 20 years in the past, and we should not judge the relationship between the US and China on this one event.

still....

In American history, we had a number of similar events leading up to our Declaration of Independence... ALL were well documented, from the Boston Tea Party---to the more appropriate-----Concord Bridge....

TONY'S ACCOUNT RINGS TRUE ~!

At least, in this rather jaded ol' war protester's eyes, who was also an eyewitness (and participant)---in Washington DC to the major protests of Nixon's war....

Stakes were much higher in Beijing--------PIN IT ~ !!!! :lol: :angry: :angry: :angry:

On this page there's a "Remembering Tiananmen" audio segment of an interview with John Pomfret.

http://www.hereandnow.org/2009/05/rundown-522/#2

Pomfret's a guy whose take on China I have always found to be fascinating. He was in China first as a student in the early 80s studying Chinese and then history, then he was back again during the late 80s and was an eyewitness (and was shot at) as the troops entered Beijing from the west. He then made it to the square before the troops arrived and stayed until everyone left early in the morning. In the segment he responds to a question about an image embedded in his mind from the event. He recounts an armored truck running down 11 students (for what reason he doesn't know) as the despondent protesters were walking out of the square. Subsequently I believe Pomfret was forced to leave China and was not allowed to return again until the late 90s.

Guest Tony n Terrific

A Tianamen Square would never happen here!.

Imagine being shot at by your own troops. :bleh:

As a matter of fact it did happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings

Larry

Besides Kent State this happened in the US with the Wiskey Rebellion in 1793. 1863 Draft riots in New York City, In 1884 the Cincinnati Riot, The Haymarket riot in Chicago in 1886, the 1932 Veterans Bonus March on Washington DC. To name a few.