My Big Fat Chinese Wedding

Well, I love the girl. I'll do what it takes to get her here, even waiting 18 months if neccessary. What a crazy ordeal.

I thought I had this all figured out. I thought I read somewhere that once 9-11 had settled down, the processing times were the same for either fiance or spouse, from start to finish. Now it looks like (not just what I've read here, but other research I've done today) the fiance visa is quicker, a lot quicker. Maybe it's always been that way, but....

OK, I've got a fiance and her family expecting a wedding. Maybe we can do it without the license, official to us but not to the government.

The other thing is, doesn't the K-1 Visa require proof that the couple has been together several times prior to getting approval? I don't know how often I can get to China. Like I said, I'll do what I have to to get her over here.

All you guys that have gone through this, were you this confused? :blink:

have the unoffical wedding take pics of you and her together bring along the g-325 for her to sign have her write a statement on your intent to marry(get translated) you only have to have met once in the last 2 years, Yes it is always a head spinning thing mine was spinning until the day I sent off my I-129f packet now I just sit and wait.... 60 days so far TSC is soooooooooooo slow, You came to the right place the people here are good and helpful. there is a list by PJ of everything for Packet 1

Mark,

Not sure if you know but stop eating now!! By the time you get there you might be able to keep up with the children for 1 or 2 meals!

By the way we chose the Chinese wedding "ceremony" concept. We will do the "official" ceremony here in the U.S. We are at 8+ months and our papers have yet to leave the NVC. I am not sure what's quicker or better, I thought she would be here already.

Louis

Well, I love the girl.  I'll do what it takes to get her here, even waiting 18 months if neccessary.  What a crazy ordeal. 

I thought I had this all figured out.  I thought I read somewhere that once 9-11 had settled down, the processing times were the same for either fiance or spouse, from start to finish.  Now it looks like (not just what I've read here, but other research I've done today) the fiance visa is quicker, a lot quicker.  Maybe it's always been that way, but....

OK, I've got a fiance and her family expecting a wedding.  Maybe we can do it without the license, official to us but not to the government.

The other thing is, doesn't the K-1 Visa require proof that the couple has been together several times prior to getting approval?  I don't know how often I can get to China.  Like I said, I'll do what I have to to get her over here.

All you guys that have gone through this, were you this confused?  :rolleyes:

Yes, I think we were all confused and only got more confused as the process moved forward. As to the K1, they look to see proof that the relationship is a legitimate one. Part of the requirements for application is that the couple has met in person at least once in the past two years. My suggestion is that you do it more than once. Never count on the minimum being enough.

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned K-3. If you want to get married in China, then do it. File the I-130 at NSC nd as soon as you get the NOA1 receipt, file an I-129F at Chicago for the K-3. It will likely be a little faster than a K-1 through NSC.

Can I do that? I thought everything had to go through NSC. Is Chicago really that much faster? That's great news Don, if it's true.

I think my confusion stems from a lack of understanding about which forms request what.

It was my understanding that I-130 was all part of the K-3 process. In other words, you wouldn't get the K-3 until the I-130 was approved. That's not the case?

Now, let's see if I got this straight, K-3 and I-130 are independent of each other? She still needs the I-130 to be approved for her to stay here long term, but in the meantime we can get the K-3 in 8 months to a year and she can come over and stay for up to 2 years?

You're probably shaking your head and wondering why I don't know this, but I appreciate our patience and experience.

Thanks Don.

I spoke to ShuPing this morning and she was a little upset that we might not marry yet, I told her I had heard more about it and looked into it quite a bit more and also did some praying. We'll get married officially and I'll go the K-3 route. ShuPing is happy again.

I think a lot of the ambiguity I feel, and I assume others as well, is the fear that this could take forever. I realized that I've done the research I need, I'm all prepared (or almost) and I just have to have faith that the process will go as quickly as possible. Faith is a big part of this whole process. How could a person go through the waiting and separation without it?

MarkLuvsShuPing i couldn't agree with you more. In many things, in fact all things, in life i wonder how people make it through without faith in God! After becoming a part of this process i only continue to wonder how people make it without the faith in knowing that God is faithful and He will sustain you. That is the ONLY way jacob and i make it. Some days i lose my focus and begin to wonder if this is ever going to end, but GOd has a gentle way of reminding me that He is in control!! Thanks for your comment on faith, I really was encouraged by it!

Have a great day!

kimnjake

MarkLuvsShuPing i couldn't agree with you more. In many things, in fact all things, in life i wonder how people make it through without faith in God! After becoming a part of this process i only continue to wonder how people make it without the faith in knowing that God is faithful and He will sustain you. That is the ONLY way jacob and i make it. Some days i lose my focus and begin to wonder if this is ever going to end, but GOd has a gentle way of reminding me that He is in control!! Thanks for your comment on faith, I really was encouraged by it!

Have a great day!

kimnjake

Couldn't agree with you more! Faith, prayer, and patience sustained us every single day of the journey.

A funny thing happened as I was double-checking those little ducks and making sure they were all lined up, ever so straight in their rows, I came across this statement on http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/us-citiz...en/mrginfo.html

All English-language documents must be translated into Chinese. Translation of documents usually takes about a month, but can be completed within 10 days at double the original cost. Translations should be obtained from and certified by one of the Municipal Public Notary offices.

Is this a detail that I've over-looked or is it not so important? I assume, since it came from the embassy page, it's important.

If it is a requirement, does anyone know a good translator service?